Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

New Fit saga

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:15 PM
New Fit saga

Well, we have been wanting one for a while now and the dealer keeps giving us the run around. They basically promised the same car to two people and we got the shaft. They are driving one up from SC but it will have 200 miles on it when it gets here and we're not sure how they will be driving it. Supposedly this is an older guy and won't rage on it but I still worry about the varying loads to really break in the motor. I've never bought a new car before so I want it to be perfect and broken in correctly as I plan on keeping it until it dies.

Anyway, thoughts? Should I really worry that much. I was thinking about driving an hour in my Eurovan to go get a new one with only 6 miles on it but figured all in all I'd be out as much gas and time so...???

Thoughts? They are knocking 200 off so I feel somewhat better about it but...

Old 07-26-2007, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Good question.
I would take it, myself. Save the $200. The older guy will probably not do anything to hurt it. But this is a call that only you can make.
Best to you.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:23 PM
To be honest with you, i would never personally allow a new car to have over 10 miles on it. That's good enough for pre delivery inspection and transport from truck to truck. Any more, and you never know. No, they are not old guys, they are porters who are generally younger guys (i know because i was one some time ago) that will beat the crap out of it, probably use cruise control and just generally not care about it. Why can't you drive the 200 miles and go pick it up??? Then at least you'd have the peace of mind of knowing that you put those miles on it, right?

Anyways, good luck on your travels and keep trying to get one, they are worth it, i promise.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
I hope all goes well but if you look at it this way at least you get one, i have to wait for my cards to show i guess haha, we have to sell the house and some other stuff before i can get mine, but good luck and congrats

Old 07-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, we're getting it...I don't have the time to go get it. And by the time you factor in how much it would cost to go get it, I'm just going to roll the dice. We'll see.

This will be my gf's car -- I'm getting a 09 WRX STI when they come out or an 08 WRX STI when I sell my Eurovan Camper.

Looking forward to the FIT though. I totalled my Subaru Forester a month ago and we've been driving the van between the 2 of us.....she hates parking it..haha...the FIT will be welcomed for sure.

Thanks for the replies though.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Just make sure to go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb to make sure that you have not picked up any road damage on its trip to your dealership. Definitely check under the hood for anything that looks out of normal. Inspect the front lip for any rocks or dings and if anything is found make sure they make it right before you sign off on the car. I would definitely hope that they would give you a little bit of a break since it will have those added miles on it. My salesman almost flipped because when I got into the MR Sport Fit for the test drive it had 14 miles on it from its first test drive from the couples whose deal fell through. I put another almost 40 miles onto the vehicle during my test drive - they have to write down the milage and he just smiled at me and laughed! Hey I was just putting it through its paces and I could not stop driving that car!

Cat :x

Old 07-26-2007, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Old guys rule!

I know some guys who do that job, too. Some are young, but many are older, like early retirees, making a few bucks on the side for transporting a car.

Just because you did it doesn't mean every one of these guys would mistreat the car.
Most of us are just not of the mindset that says, "Screw it! It's not MINE!" All that stuff will come back to those who are.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
whizzif,
insist they at least put a bra on the car before making a 200 mile drive!
You can buff out bra swirls, but rock chips are rock chips!
As Cat suggested, go over it with a fine tooth comb before taking it.
They are counting on your emotions when you see the car that you won't refuse it with some road rash if it occurs.
Good luck! Holding my fingers crossed for you!