General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Yeah I agree about the GE....

Probably my only complaint....and maybe the lack of independent rear suspension left some comfort to be desired.

The couple of times I've been in the R I'd have to say I was very impressed. I mean even the GTI is a very well made car. I just have a mental stigma about VW being 1) a pain in the rear to work on (special tools etc) and 2) not JDM reliable. Suppose the reliability can relate to all german cars. HOWEVER...if you can afford to buy one...you should be able to afford to fix it as well. =)

If I was spending 35+ though...I'd be hard pressed between the CTR and Golf-R. Golf-R just more versatile for daily stuff, but the CTR is just such an impressive looking/performing vehicle.

I do recall the times when TR carried Gramlights/Rays. Wanted some Gramlights for my S14 SO bad lol.
haha!! shinjari that arnold pict is super funny. lol

i think age also has to do with it. at my age i don’t want a crazy looking faux vent all over car like the CTR. even my STI is borderline. i’m perfectly okay with buying another R if something happened to mine. to me it’s not cheap, but not that expensive either. i don’t know about the previous gens but the MK7’s are easy to mod and program using OBD11 and my GTI has been reliable. more reliable and trouble free than my GK..

Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
my R has been good too, but not at the quality of my GTI.. i was expecting it to be better put together..

Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
got the glossy pearl white vinyl. looks good. will work on the GK as soon as it gets a tad warmer.

hot dogs and chili tonight.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Have some quality control issues with the R vs the GTI? I recall you swapping an interior part between the two and they for some reason fit better in the other car lol.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Have some quality control issues with the R vs the GTI? I recall you swapping an interior part between the two and they for some reason fit better in the other car lol.
yah, it does have issues. nothing serious, but like you pointed out, bogus wtf fitment issues which i fixed. youd think germany made cars would be better put together than their mexico counterpart, but i learned it is NOT the case.

it was like Lego's and another reason why i want another Golf-R so that parts are interchangeable. lol

Old 02-22-2018, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
given said that, if anyone has a 17 Golf-R DSG with less than 10k miles they want to sell, let me know.
otherwise im going with a new MK7.5 Golf-R which are fairly similar but not fully compatible.. new bumper, new lamps, new tails, etc.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
You bought Vinyl to wrap the GK?

Old 02-22-2018, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
You bought Vinyl to wrap the GK?
well not to wrap per se but to cover up the paint failure area on the GK’s door. wat pisses me off is i bought the car new and yet have to deal with shitty used car- like problems on this car .

Old 02-22-2018, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
my new bosch wiper blades came in for my GTI.

for some reason they don’t sell refills for the car so blades it is.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
looks like it might dry up this weekend so thinking about pulling out my STI both sat and sun. i have to take my kid to this award ceremony sunday afternoon as he won some art contest again and so i will see if i have the energy to wash my GTI tomorrow.. the place we need to take him is not the cleanest part of town so we will be taking the GK.

have a good friday and weekend everyone!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Ken- Congrats to your son for winning an award. Well done!

Get those cars out & drive them. Nothing harder on a car than sitting. Have fun, watch out for the local sheriff. ;-)

Old 02-23-2018, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
nice job to your son on his art contest success!

Coming up on four months since I've seen the S2000

Old 02-23-2018, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
thanks guys.

4 months is a long time emotionally. but u’ll appreciate the car even more come Spring!

i don’t hibernate my STI nor R but with some basic hibernation techniques there is nothing hard on not driving the car. it’s more damaging to start the car and letting it idle or driving it around the block for the sake of moving the car during winter. it’s all or nothing. if you don’t run the car don’t run it at all like mike over inflate tires, stabil in the fuel, and put a battery manager on it. or if you do drive the car once in a while like me, drive at least 20 miles and cycle ac and heat up oil to the operating temps. and keep adding fresh fuel when tank is near half empty.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
alright finally home. after doing some house chores adjusted psi on my STI and R.

im so happy dat im letting air OUT of the tires since its warming up. just a matter of time i get the summers back on the cars. cant wait. think im going to pull out my STI tomorrow but skip motoring and just wash the GTI on sunday am. car is so filthy dirty it is unbelieveable.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
thanks guys.

4 months is a long time emotionally. but u’ll appreciate the car even more come Spring!

i don’t hibernate my STI nor R but with some basic hibernation techniques there is nothing hard on not driving the car. it’s more damaging to start the car and letting it idle or driving it around the block for the sake of moving the car during winter. it’s all or nothing. if you don’t run the car don’t run it at all like mike over inflate tires, stabil in the fuel, and put a battery manager on it. or if you do drive the car once in a while like me, drive at least 20 miles and cycle ac and heat up oil to the operating temps. and keep adding fresh fuel when tank is near half empty.
Yep.

I just threw on the OEM wheels & put 45 PSI in the tires, will toss the RGIII back on come spring. No flat spots or hockey puck hard RT615K+ for me.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
that's a good plan indeed.

i noticed that the DWS06 does not flat spot like how the original DWS did. i really like that. 2 months with 40-42psi, not one sign of flat spotting when i pulled out my R the other day. and my garage temp went into single digits for weeks.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
hummm.. temps are going to be too cold to wash my GTI tomorrow morning, plus too windy so im going to skip motoring my STI this am and wash the GTI instead. oh well.. but will pull out my STI tomorrow am before heading out to my kid's art award ceremony.

i realized i need to swap the GK's snows to factory wheels soon too.. will work on that next weekend. my older kid was like 'i want to help!' GOOD! i can let him do all the work and i will just watch and check the torque and psi at the end. lol

have a good saturday everyone!

Old 02-24-2018, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
First sign of spring taking the snow shoes off.

I'm going to leave the snow shoes on my wife's MINI & use them up. They are worn enough that they won't be good for another winter season. Then I'll put her summer shoes on. A good friend gave me a set of MINI wheels wearing almost new Michelin Artic Alpin tires.

Pouring down rain here in my part of the world. Last time it rained like this we went for a drive down southeast & it turned into the day of detours. Today I'm just going to watch the rain.

Have a good day folks.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
wow, that's a lot of rain ash! good thing you weren't out and about at night cause, as you already know, it can be very difficult to see flooding in rural areas in the dark until too late. good idea staying inside today. also wearing out the rest of the snows sound good.

alright, got my filthy dirty GTI washed! im real happy to report that i found zero new chips or any damage on the car since the last wash. the surface road commute is helping tremendously.

washed the weathertechs and applied a coat of water based Prima Nero to dress.
also touched up the wheel locks that were rusting a little bit with plastic model enamel paint.
it doesnt matter as i dont use these lugs on my summer wheels. im just going to toss them after this season.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
not sure how many of you shop at autogeek but promocode DAY2 will net you a 15% discount on top of free shipping over $50. yes, huge bargain!

got a nice load of car wash/detailing stuff on order in prep for Spring.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?