Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

To repair or to replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Question To repair or to replace

Hello!

It was warm and fuzzy with my brand new 2010 TW Honda Fit Sport AT when it arrived on my driveway just 3 weeks ago. It's been driving beautifully!

Then just Nov 29th, my Fit was parked on my driveway as I was just unloading groceries and then within minutes I found myself gasping for air! My beautiful Hondita got backed into! But I was consoling the other person for feeling to have hit my car that I forgot to console myself! Now what?!

The AEA adjuster came on Tuesday to take a look at the poor car and he said that the hood and left fender may need to be replaced because of cracks he found. Now he changed his story, he is suggesting it be repaired and not replaced. I am grappling about what is the best to do. It is a brand new car and I am afraid that the integrity of it has been compromised! Something tells me that the insurance company is also trying to save money by suggesting "repair" vs "replace".

I am so angry, just looking at my poor car make me sick to my stomach. How can I get the best outcome here to maintain the car's value? Something in me says I can't compromise the integrity of this beautiful car. Is it better to repair or get the new original OEM parts from Honda? What would you do if this happened to your brand new Fit? It's not even 3 weeks old!

Thanks for your input. Painters, body shop professionals, tell me what you think.

PS I have taken pics of the damages. It may be hard to see, but check my album.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if there are cracks in the metal should be replaced, but if it's just the paint should not be an issue. the bodyshop usually has lifetime warranty i suppose you can bring it back to them in the future.

they will judge how much labor would be needed to form it back to shape. most of the time just getting new metal is cheaper.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Replace, it would be cheaper to replace the hood than to fix it correctly. I got hit in almost the same spot, just a little faster, and I have a GD3, but... 1. Check ALL the mounting tabs on that headlight. 2. On my GD3, there is a bumper hanger that mounts under the headlight that looks like it would have been damaged in your photos. 3. Creased bumper covers suck.

Last edited by binaryh4x; 12-03-2009 at 02:40 PM.