Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

New member, new Fit owner from Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
New member, new Fit owner from Canada

Hello everyone,

My name is Guillaume, french spoken person from the big province of Quebec. I'm from Mont-Tremblant, about 2H north from Montreal. I live with my soon-to-be wife, my daughter and our upcoming baby, who's coming in August. I now own a used 09 LX White Manual.

My past cars were all Mitsubishis. I owned a 06 Ralliart and then a 10 Lancer SE. I decided to switch to the Fit in order to get more storage in the car, increase my MPG (well L/100KM here in Canada) ... and I quite liked the look of the Fit ! Useless to say, moving from a Lancer to a Fit is quite different, however the Fit has a sporty feeling to it, even the LX. I drove about 300 miles since I got the car, and I really enjoy it. Being a used car, I just hope I don't get any surprises.

My Fit is stock, at the moment. No options was added when it was first bought...since it is the car for the family, I'm not planning to modify anything related to suspension or engine. However, there are some accessories that I would like to purchase in order to protect the car and customize the look and feel.

Here's the list :

- Progress Swaybar
- H-Fit Shifter Bushings
- Torque Solution Brass Underhood Bushings
- Change the shifter knob...don't like to OEM one on the LX. I would like to get a leather one and maybe a bit bigger.
- Block heater for next winter.
- Armrest with storage...I still have to look at this if it's worth it.

Here's what have been done :

- Weathertech floor liners...these are a no-brainer. I had them in my 10 Lancer and saved me a lot of trouble.
- Rear Bumper Protector/Applique ... I did not have it on my Lancer and due to strollers and stuff, my paint was all chipped on my rear bumper.
- Cargo Cover

That's about it ! I hope the Fit will suit my needs, but so far, I like it

Have a great day everyone,

Neo.

Last edited by spookyneo; 10-07-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. They sell cars out East without block heaters??? crazy!!! It's not even an option here...

There is an OEM leather shift knob with blue stitching for the fit, I would have bought it, but I prefer red stitching...

Have fun with your GE8!

Clint

Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Unforgiven
Welcome to the forum. They sell cars out East without block heaters??? crazy!!! It's not even an option here...

There is an OEM leather shift knob with blue stitching for the fit, I would have bought it, but I prefer red stitching...

Have fun with your GE8!

Clint
Yes they do...well at least in Canada. Even the Sport version does not have a block heater. I was able to find the parts quite cheap at Bernardi (and they ship in Canada yay!), so I'll probably get this before next winter.

Yes I saw that blue stitched shift knob over the forums. I still don't know if I like it..but I also saw that a Mitsubishi Evo shift knob would fit in the FIT...I might just put a little of Mitsubishi in my Honda

Yesterday, I ordered my WeatherTech for the front and Zeta Bumper Protector (looks much better and stronger than the OEM one)

Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Bernardi is pretty cheap, but I found with the shipping and import taxes it works out to be about the same price. The Mitsubishi knob might fit, not sure if the screw thread will be the same though...

Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Unforgiven
Bernardi is pretty cheap, but I found with the shipping and import taxes it works out to be about the same price. The Mitsubishi knob might fit, not sure if the screw thread will be the same though...
Thanks for the info. So you're saying that, for us Canadians, it is not worth to buy from Bernardi and that we should get our stock from the dealers ? There got to be another way for us...other than ebay.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
There are other options.

The Classified section on this on this site is really good. I have picked up alot of gently used parts at a fraction of buying it new. I have seen the weathertech mats a few times. You may need to be patient though, some things come up more often than others.

There are auto wreckers that you can get parts from:
Used Car Parts - Standard Auto Wreckers

I have gotten some quotes from them that were very reasonable.

There is a company called LKQ that sells used parts on e-bay that is really good. I upgraded to an OEM leather wrapped steering wheel for super cheap.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome New Owner.

A way back when the track first opened in Mont Tremblant hmm '64 or '65 I think I drove my new Morris Mini 850 to the race from Ottawa.

No block heater here either. But being in Southern Ontario I have not had a problem. I do enjoy my heated seats I install though.

Also a Guillaume but I go by Bill and a Habs fan.

bill

Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spookyneo
Thanks for the info. So you're saying that, for us Canadians, it is not worth to buy from Bernardi and that we should get our stock from the dealers ? There got to be another way for us...other than ebay.

even with shipping to canada, importing fees and taxes, its cheaper to order from bernardi. i ordered a set of foglights and window visors for my g/f's 2012 civic sedan and it cost me just over 400 with fees and everything. here on the east coast, the honda dealership wanted 500+ for the foglights alone, PLUS install. so i ended up with 2 items, under what 1 part was from honda. i guess it really all depends what your looking for and what the price is. do some research, and i'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

also, welcome to the site. its always great to see another canadian on the site. never anyone from the maritimes tho. lol. its always quebec or farther west. LOL.

if you decide you don't want a leather wrapped shift knob, let me suggest a skunk 2 weighted knob. it feels great. also, check out www.nextmod.com for parts. they are located in ontario, and heard they were opening up a shop in quebec somewhere(yes, i know its a big province. lol) i've gotten quite a few items from them, and they have awesome customer service, and prices too.

post up some pics of the fit!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for every comments. I'm glad to see Canadians in the forum. It looks like there is good Canadian support here

I don't have any pictures of my FIT yet. It's still pretty new...well it's a used car, but it is new to me !

I might add a Progress rear swaybar to the list...I had a 19mm Progress on my Lancer Ralliart and it felt pretty good. I imagine that, on the base FIT, it could possibly change the feeling of the car. I have to confess, sometimes I think that the base FIT is a bit soft. Don't get me wrong, I know it's not supposed to be a sport car, but if I can make it a bit...tighter, that would be great.

I'm a patient man...but I always reach my goals

Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
I personally recommend the shift knob from the Acura RSX ... not at all leather, but made entirely out of an aluminum billet. I have had one on all my manual transmission cars. Best thing is, availability. About 50$ at the Honda dealer and they can be had in 5 or 6 speed patterns (they would have fit the the base and R trim levels of the RSX respectively). Nice weight to them.

Note however that in cold weather they become the coldest shifter known to man :P ... you'll be wanting to put a tuque over it to shift, hehe