Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

New member/prospective Fit owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 AM
New member/prospective Fit owner

Hello, I'm not yet a Fit owner but I'm looking at one in NJ and trying to do a little research if I can. If purchased, I would be new to not only the Fit, but Honda in general as I currently own two Toyotas. My first car is a '93 Camry that is now my winter/emergency car. With 30x,xxx miles on it, numerous rust holes and a (relatively low) list of replacement parts needed, it's about time to replace it. My second car I bought a little over a year ago in November is a '00 MR2 Spyder that I drive whenever I can. Since owning, I've swapped in the 2ZZ-GE engine found in the Celica GTS and 6spd trans. from the same vehicle as well as other mods I won't get into yet. Well, Toyota drabble aside, I am excited about owning a Fit and I'm sure there are just as many(probably more) helpful/knowledgable people on this forum than there are on the Spyder forum I frequent and I look forward to use the info here and eventually return some of my own. Thanks for reading and I'm sorry for my comma usage if it was incorrect

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Welcome!

The Fit will definitely not be as fast as your 2ZZ MR2, but definitely faster than your Camry (in MT form anyway) lol It's a fun car, not particularly fast, not particularly slow, not particularly good at handling, but not particularly bad either. Extremely versatile and reliable. MT shifts well, clutch can be a little non-sporty with the delay valve, but it can be eliminated if it bothers you a lot.

Out of all the B class cars the most fun IMO, and one I never worry about reliability, I drive all over the place and don't care about the odometer.

Lots of good info on here already, just browse or search (I use Google, the webpage search function lacks a bit). Most Google searches regarding Fit questions brings up threads from this forum at the top anyway.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Welcome!

The Fit will definitely not be as fast as your 2ZZ MR2, but definitely faster than your Camry (in MT form anyway) lol It's a fun car, not particularly fast, not particularly slow, not particularly good at handling, but not particularly bad either. Extremely versatile and reliable. MT shifts well, clutch can be a little non-sporty with the delay valve, but it can be eliminated if it bothers you a lot.

Out of all the B class cars the most fun IMO, and one I never worry about reliability, I drive all over the place and don't care about the odometer.

Lots of good info on here already, just browse or search (I use Google, the webpage search function lacks a bit). Most Google searches regarding Fit questions brings up threads from this forum at the top anyway.

so wanderer.... you with us or not?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:42 PM
of course, just being realistic. For a modern cheap B class hatch it is excellent considering the suspension deficiencies it's been given and a 1.5L single cam under the hood.

The sum is more than the parts and the car has soul, for that I love it. I will take it to it's limits but I have no dreams of besting purebreds (unless they have crappy drivers )

Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Well aware it's not as fast as my 2 lol but that's ok with me. My "moditis" is mostly taken care of by now. I have yet to drive one but I can't imagine it's terrible and anything is gonna be a step up from the Camry as it desperately needs struts and possibly other related things. I'm sure I will be pleased with the Fit. And as for the search function, we have to use google for Spyderchat.com as well (it's also vBulletin, must be related?). Although recently our admin found a way to use Google to search through the forums only and leave out everything else. It's all witchcraft and voodoo to me but it works better than it used to

Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
as long as you get the MT i think you'll enjoy the car.

the AT just bogs the car down significantly. i have both AT and MT sport GE's. my wife uses the AT most of the time. she's not a car person at all but she likes the Fit a lot for the convenience and utility. also the reliability.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
idk I might have to retract my handling statement, just got back from doing things I shouldn't be doing and it was pretty outstanding. But I don't think it'd be that outstanding stock. For all the full throttle 2nd gear wheel yanking I could muster I couldn't get it to understeer, the turns were banked, but very tight.

I also got my Fit with the intention to keep it stock besides tires. The only car i've owned that actually held true was my Element.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Not particularly fast, not particularly slow, not particularly good at handling, but not particularly bad either. Extremely versatile and reliable. MT shifts well, clutch can be a little non-sporty with the delay valve, but it can be eliminated if it bothers you a lot.
Best summary of the Fit that I've ever read.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 PM
You can search site specific by prefacing your search as follows:

site:fitfreak.net

To search for Kosei K1 within the forum, use: site:fitfreak.net kosei k1

I don't know whether this is limited to Google or all search engines.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Best summary of the Fit that I've ever read.
Thanks

If it's a summary I should add "gets good gas mileage if you keep it under 70 and leave a few car lengths in front of you and avoid stop and go driving".

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 PM
idk I might have to retract my handling statement, just got back from doing things I shouldn't be doing and it was pretty outstanding. But I don't think it'd be that outstanding stock. For all the full throttle 2nd gear wheel yanking I could muster I couldn't get it to understeer, the turns were banked, but very tight.

I also got my Fit with the intention to keep it stock besides tires. The only car i've owned that actually held true was my Element.
What have you done to yours? I plan on a FSTB since that should be easy and some decent HP A/S tires for the warmer months

Old 02-03-2014, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
front tower bar is useless on this car. spend your money on swift springs and maybe the tanabe muffler.

and save the rest of your funds for the next car.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Prophet mmviii
What have you done to yours? I plan on a FSTB since that should be easy and some decent HP A/S tires for the warmer months
Just springs, wheels, tires, cockpit stuff. Just a good set of tires will do wonders. Recommend the Swift springs for stock shocks, though I don't have them, just because minimum drop + linear springs.

Front strut bar is up to you. I think there's one or two for USDM Fit that have a third brace point, get that if you can.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
front tower bar is useless on this car. spend your money on swift springs and maybe the tanabe muffler.

and save the rest of your funds for the next car.
Now I am useless when it comes to suspension(as well as other things but that's another story ), how do these springs affect drivability? I do still have to drive it for at least 10 hours at a time a couple times per year.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:53 PM
^They barely drop the car 1". Will ride almost the same as stock.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
I just purchased a 2010 Fit Sport AT. I previously had a modded 02 Civic Si. This car is different for sure from my Civic but after I changed my driving habits a little I have been nothing but happy with the car. I don't think it will come in first in any category but it does everything adequate and the use able space in the back makes me love it. Highway the mpg is really nice but in the city it leaves much to be desired for the mpg. If you accept the car for what it is I don't know anyone that wouldn't like this car.

If you are unhappy with part of the car there is enough of an aftermarket following to change it which is always a bonus.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:05 PM
No regrets with my fit

I come from a family of Volkswagen nuts, and I've never bought another car brand in my life...until last year when I bought a 2013 Base Fit. My last car was a New Beetle Turbo. Not a sports car, but it was damn fast for me. I thought the 117 horses the Fit boasted (with no turbo) would take getting used to, but it's surprisingly nimble and makes the most of what it's got under the hood. I wanted something affordable, reliable, and versatile. Man, am I pleased with my choice. I looked at every car in the class, and the Fit was always head-and-shoulders above the rest. I've had it just about a year now, and I can say I've never been happier with a car.

In short, buy it. You won't regret it.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 PM
You have all confirmed my suspicions about the Fit meeting my needs as a cheerful little car to toss around. Now I just need to actually buy one! So far I've found two in NJ for 5500 and 6000. The one for 6k is an '07 black sport 5MT with just over 100k miles. As of right now, that's the one I'm aiming for.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Is 2 grand worth it for a year newer with 16k mi. less Fit? It's also half hour closer to me are there any changes between the years? Fixes? Anything? Bueller?