Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Newbie from Cincinnati

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Newbie from Cincinnati

Hey everybody! My wifey has a 2012 Fit base model with a starting issues. At random times (4 times in last 9 months) it won't start without being jumped. I just replaced the battery a little over a month ago and my wife calls me Tuesday to say that the car won't start. So the neighbor had to give her a jump and everything was fine after that.
I've seen it first hand, before I replaced the battery, and what will happen is all the dash lights, radio plays, and air will come on but when you turn the key everything dies. There is no clicking sound like the starter is being engaged. The battery terminals are snug and the ground is tight to the car body. From the reading I've been doing I'm thinking it may be the solenoid because the starter usually either works or it needs replaced from my understanding.
Some additional information: again back in February (before I replaced the battery) my wife calls and says the car won't start. She was dog sitting for our friend and had gone around the corner to let it out. She turned the car off for like 10 minutes and when she tried to start it, nothing. She said she kept trying it for like 20-30 minutes when out of no where it finally fired up with no jump.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be wrong or what to look for?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Did you get the battery tested? It may be new but doesnt mean it is not broken. (Happen to me once damn braille.)

Old 05-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Or it could be you have a drain issue. You left the dome lights on or something in the car was draining the battery when the car was turn off. (Honda fit battery is small.) Reason is the car can be jump and turn on instantly.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

Old 05-27-2016, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a bad battery post terminal, it's quite common for them to be tightened all the way but not actually tight on the battery post, if you can twist the battery cable on the post with your bare hands it's probably stretched out from originally overtightening. It should be almost impossible to do without loosening the clamp.

A common and very reliable cheap fix if the clamp is stretched out is to fold a small piece of aluminum foil a few times and place over the post them tighten the battery clamp over it.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Could be the solenoid

Originally Posted by roland1221
Hey everybody! My wifey has a 2012 Fit base model with a starting issues. At random times (4 times in last 9 months) it won't start without being jumped. I just replaced the battery a little over a month ago and my wife calls me Tuesday to say that the car won't start. So the neighbor had to give her a jump and everything was fine after that.
I've seen it first hand, before I replaced the battery, and what will happen is all the dash lights, radio plays, and air will come on but when you turn the key everything dies. There is no clicking sound like the starter is being engaged. The battery terminals are snug and the ground is tight to the car body. From the reading I've been doing I'm thinking it may be the solenoid because the starter usually either works or it needs replaced from my understanding.
Some additional information: again back in February (before I replaced the battery) my wife calls and says the car won't start. She was dog sitting for our friend and had gone around the corner to let it out. She turned the car off for like 10 minutes and when she tried to start it, nothing. She said she kept trying it for like 20-30 minutes when out of no where it finally fired up with no jump.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be wrong or what to look for?
Thanks in advance.

If the issue is still happening, next time, try tapping on the starter solenoid with a small happen or screwdriver handle.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Scott Wyman
If the issue is still happening, next time, try tapping on the starter solenoid with a small happen or screwdriver handle.
Where is the starter solenoid located at? I took a quick glance for it the other day but wasn't able to find it.