Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Clear bra Vs. pleather bra...winter is coming!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:12 AM
Clear bra Vs. pleather bra...winter is coming!

So i drive to my companys offices about once a month (100 miles round trip). i will be driving in the snow this winter and it will be the first with my fit and im afraid the salt and rocks on the highway will damage the front end. I was thinking which would work best in snowy conditions clear bra or the fake leather bra? i have read reviews cons and pros but still not sure. Any one have suggestions? also i found a pretty cheap clear bra ($100 for hood ,bumper, and fenders) on EBAY anyone ever get one? do they suck and thats why they are cheap?

Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i speak from experience.. salt (and states dat use sand) will DEFINITELY chip your front end.

use clearbra if u want to keep your front looking nice. do at least part of the hood too.

problem with leather and faux leather bras is moisture gets trapped between the paint which can cloud the clearcoat. also u will get crap caught between the bra and paint which will scuff over time. skip these and just do the clearbra.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:34 PM
Clear bra has been more effective on my other cars (got them professionally installed, though. It also costed a lot more.). I agree with @kenchan. Trapped moisture will corrode the paint over time. I didn't get it for rocks and salt, but it was to protect against sand damage. It worked out pretty well for me.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Don't follow vehicles and especially trucks closely will go along way with reducing rock chips. And agreed on using clearbra over pleather.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 PM
I've seen rocks penetrate clear bras. Not on mine though (yet).

A pleather, or even leather bra will protect better agains rocks but, as already mentioned, they have to be maintained, and be very clean. I've seen faded paint, and paint rubbed badly due to those bras.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
still better dan it hitting paint directly... clearbra is the only way to go to prolong ur finish, unless u dont drive the car at all or make ur car look ridiculous.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
btw, i run xpel ultimate which has a self curing feature where scuffs, etc disappear after hitting it with the sun.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
btw, i run xpel ultimate which has a self curing feature where scuffs, etc disappear after hitting it with the sun.
I've been debating whether to get this.

What's the approximate cost to have this installed? Can you do a paint sealant and wax after the film is applied, or should the paint sealant -at least- be done before the film?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farrago
I've been debating whether to get this.

What's the approximate cost to have this installed? Can you do a paint sealant and wax after the film is applied, or should the paint sealant -at least- be done before the film?
ive not checked the GK, but on my GTI i paid ~$450 which included bumper, partial hood, partial fenders, and side mirrors. i had tint installed at the same time so my tint guy gave me a good deal. with llumar top of the line ceramic installed on all glass less windshield and the clearbra, $1K otd.

i use to install clearbra on my own, but considering the price my tint guy does it for, it'll cost me more to install it myself.