2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my fit needs a bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM
my fit needs a bra

So my 2012 Sport needs a bra. The front lip on the hood is all chipped up with only 7000 miles. Its actually real bad and the paint is starting to chip. Is this to be expected? Is anyone running a bra... on their Fit?

Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes. Only use it on road trips. The one Honda sells. Works fine.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM
I would recommend a clearbra instead. The leather bra from Honda or any other manufacturer (if left on for extended periods) can accumulate sand/dirt/dust underneath and ultimately cause more damage to your clearcoat/paint as it flaps and moves around.

Use it for longer road trips if necessary, but if you want to keep it on (say you commute daily), then go for a clear bra. A professional install is nice, but pricey. There are also precut kits you can get from 3M and other manufacturers that cover the most common areas.

Also, just to put it out there. Change your driving style a bit perhaps? 7K miles and you already have significant chips? Don't stay too close behind cars, and especially large trucks, and even more especially near the shoulder where more sand/rocks accumulate. Also, a few coats of wax on the high impact areas will help a little. If keeping a larger following distance isn't feasible, try keeping your speed down when you are behind someone. A rock @ 80mph is gonna do more damage than a rock @ 50mph. :P

Last edited by shamoo; 11-28-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
I love my clear bra! Worry free road trips and tailgating. Wrap the entire hood if you can, the top half gets beated as well.
Name:  TNXCa.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  274.0 KB

Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by shamoo
I would recommend a clearbra instead. The leather bra from Honda or any other manufacturer (if left on for extended periods) can accumulate sand/dirt/dust underneath and ultimately cause more damage to your clearcoat/paint as it flaps and moves around.

Use it for longer road trips if necessary, but if you want to keep it on (say you commute daily), then go for a clear bra. A professional install is nice, but pricey. There are also precut kits you can get from 3M and other manufacturers that cover the most common areas.

Also, just to put it out there. Change your driving style a bit perhaps? 7K miles and you already have significant chips? Don't stay too close behind cars, and especially large trucks, and even more especially near the shoulder where more sand/rocks accumulate. Also, a few coats of wax on the high impact areas will help a little. If keeping a larger following distance isn't feasible, try keeping your speed down when you are behind someone. A rock @ 80mph is gonna do more damage than a rock @ 50mph. :P
I don't follow too close. The chips on the hood are from bugs. I'm one of those people that stay way back. I take good care of my cars too. My fit has been waxed 8-10 times already with only 7000 miles. I use to run a detail shop. The paint on this car is not the greatest. I'm thinking I might do just a wrap on the lower part of the hood.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Bug Chipped Hod?!?

WOW! I knew Montana was "Big Sky" country...but I didn't know it was Big Bug Country too! LOL
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by fittmann
WOW! I knew Montana was "Big Sky" country...but I didn't know it was Big Bug Country too! LOL
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!
You are probably right. I just don't see how rocks could hit the hood and make small chips in the paint in the summer. I never follow too close to cars and these chips happened this summer. The paint is actually starting to flake around the small chips. Its only on the hood too. My 2006 van with a flat front hood and with 80k miles has less chips on the hood and its seen 5 winters.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I have a bumper mask that I dont use. If you want it. Oem leather. And nothings wrong if you leave it on a little too long. If you wash and wax your car as much as you say you do. Get those oem bra brah!!!! Lol.
Edit: nvm yours a 2012 model.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Aly
SO I'm completely new to this kinda things what do you suggest brand wise or is this something I should get done at a shop? I've never really been "into" cars or accessories but this car is so new I really want to keep it clean and I'm attempting to learn about cars so which brand should I get or in the sacramento area where should I take it?... I have a 2013...Thanks!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Too little, too late for me. My '12 has 30k miles. I did nothing (except wash it weekly), and the hood looks dirty 24/7. I'd say I have 300 little chips from rocks and bugs spread across the entire hood. By most standards, the hood is THRASHED.

I figure after 3-5 years I may take the hood off and have a paint place sand it down and repaint it. Other than that, I just deal with it. Chips happen. And from 20 feet away the car still looks great.