Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Need to repair door latch assembly

Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Need to repair door latch assembly

Greetings to All.
Fresh Newbie here. I'll introduce myself later but I need help ASAP.
I have a 2011 Fit Sport and the driver-side passenger suddenly wouldn't open at all. Many thanks to another member for posting a video of his struggle to get his door open. His final solution was rather ingenious! Search for "door latch jammed" to find his video from June 2017, or on Youtube search Honda Fit door latch $5 and you should find it.

Well I got my door open and removed the power latch/lock assembly. I opened the assembly and, after a lot of study you don't want to read about, discovered that my problem was a small broken spring that was keeping the mechanism from unlocking. This assembly from a dealer will be about $300 & they have to order it. After shipping, I won't save much online. If I could just get a replacement spring I think I could restore the unit to full operation. Of course that's not available from Honda nor is any help to find specs on the spring so I could search spring manufacturers if a stock item exists. I've called salvage yards for used parts to no avail.

I REALLY need to fix MY WIFE'S CAR ASAP! Any help will be appreciated and in return I'll be available to share professional advice on hanging draperies, blinds, heavy pics/mirrors, etc,

Thanks a million,
install4you
Birmingham, AL

Old 07-17-2018, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Hi,

I have encountered the exact same issue, with the spring "finger" broken off the end of the spring in the bottom of the latch mechanism, and therefore unable to contact the part it was supposed to touch. Mine was the rear left door.

The replacement latch unit as you pointed out was exorbitantly priced, so I simply used a plier to bend the end of the spring and form another finger. Putting everything back together inside the latch unit was a real pain and took many tries.

3 years later, still no issues with this repair. I dont have any pictures as this was a while back, but I will try to draw and upload a diagram of what i mean shortly.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member

I hope this pic explains what needs to be done, good luck and let us know how it goes

Old 07-17-2018, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
THANKS to thaffejee for a solution. I actually thought of that later in the day. Your drawing was certainly adequate to communicate the idea.
After I reassembled everything I had one problem remain. The power lock feature would not unlock the door either from the remote or switch on the driver armrest. When I use power unlock, I have to relock manually and re-un-lock manually before it worked.

What the spring is supposed to do was not evident from looking. I finally decided that because of the slippage in the various parts (to allow the lock/unlock function be controlled from 3 different points) the spring was to rotate the gear back to a needed position when other actions did not. I think I either set the spring pull in the wrong direction or did not wind in enough tension.

I may try again or even order a new part (to make my wife happy). Do you remember how you did it?

Eddie

Old 07-18-2018, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
Hi Eddie, I recall having similar issues and having opened and tried various spring tensions \ directions \ positions till i got it right. I cant tell you exactly what to do as it was quite a while back, but mentally trying to understand exactly how it works and what moves what is key.

I did not install the latch during testing, leave the latch loose but plug in only the electrical connector. Also have someone press in the door closed sensor, and then do testing (or the car will not actuate the lock thinking the door is open). This will facilitate quickly trying different combinations of spring position till you get it right. Dont put in the screws either till you get it right, it may take 10 tries. When the latch actuates, the wire rod will go back or forth. It is possible the latch is fixed but not installed back properly in the car.

One suggestion would be to very very carefully open the other doors latch just enough to peep in and see exactly how it is supposed to fit together.