Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

New member & looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 03:16 PM
New member & looking to buy

Hi!

I just joined this site after talking with a Fit owner about getting one and they recommended I read some discussions here.

I'm looking to get a car, and the Fit came up as a reliable and durable option. There are also some good used options for sale in my area.

I've heard both pro and con about the car so looking forward to hearing from others what they think and how their experience has been.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
For the most part, a used Fit is a pretty safe purchase. Most have been decently maintained and it's generally not the type of car that gets abused.

Each generation has gotten less sporty, but more refined and comfortable. Where you fall on the sporty vs comfort scale will dictate which generation you prefer.

For the US market...
2007 - 08 = GD
2009 - 2013 = GE
2015 - present = GK

Happy shopping!

Old 07-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i don’t about “less sporty” cause the GD has no sport to begin with as it was just so damn slow. GE is my choice out of da 3. but if one is looking for AT, dey all basically suck for sportiness. if going for mpg and cargo space this is a great car for dat. GE MT is my choice.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have a GE and a GK, and in a lot of ways the GE is "just right". The GK is a more refined ride due to suspension tuning changes (and maybe more sound deadening? haven't looked into this) but I like a lot of things about the GE better: simpler exterior look, I prefer the 5-speed gearbox to the 6-speed, the seats seem more comfortable to me, the SOHC motor has none of the potential direct-injection valve deposit issues and overall is simpler, to name a few. The GK seems to get a bit better gas mileage, has the 6-speed for a more usable 5th gear in hilly terrain on the highway, is a bit quieter in the cabin, and has more whistles and bells and safety features in EX and EX-L trim.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i don’t about “less sporty” cause the GD has no sport to begin
Skid pad numbers don't lie. The GD set records and was the fastest slalom test for Road & Track in 2008. Slow for sure, but it beat Ferrari's, Corvettes, etc in the slalom.

The GE is softer sprung. Stock for stock the GD kills the GE in autocross. However, the GE is supposed to have a better chassis and a few more hp so I'm sure it would be the winner after suspension mods.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
dogdamn GD beating ferrari’s and all. a true sports car. lol

Old 07-30-2018, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
i’ve not driven da GK MT, but if it was one made in Japan i’d get dat probably. GE was great.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
It's very normal. The automaker listens to the customers and every model rides better, gets better fuel mileage, etc. I'd say this is true for the evolution of the Fit.

Just have to remember that riding smoother comes at a cost when you're talking about an economy car. The GD is NOT a smooth riding vehicle at all, but it handles well. The GD doesn't get that great of fuel economy either. We've averaged 32 mpg over the past 10 years. Newer cars do better.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
i suppose if u made up ur mind wat to buy before going to da supermarket u won’t be outside going in a circle beating all da ferrari’s in da parking lot.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
For the most part, a used Fit is a pretty safe purchase. Most have been decently maintained and it's generally not the type of car that gets abused.

Each generation has gotten less sporty, but more refined and comfortable. Where you fall on the sporty vs comfort scale will dictate which generation you prefer.

For the US market...
2007 - 08 = GD
2009 - 2013 = GE
2015 - present = GK

Happy shopping!
Thank you! Mainly whatever car I get will be used for commuting to work (~30 miles per day, including some on highway). The used ones in my area that I think are at a good price point are mainly 2009-2013s. One friend said they absolutely hate their Fit, while another swears by it. I do see a lot of them on the road, so that must be worth something?

The cons I've heard are the low ride and poor suspension as well as poor handling in weather. Any thoughts on this?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I'm too biased to really give a fair assessment. We have a Fit which caused my Mom to buy a Fit (2011 Sport) and a friend to buy a Fit (2009 Sport). Clearly, our household, my parents, and our friends see the value in them.

IMO, the one to buy is a '12-13 Sport. Manual if you have two feet. They are way more fun to drive than other choices in their category and are super reliable given proper maintenance and care.

'12 was an update year that brought slightly better sound deadening and a front end refresh. I think they are the best all around Fit made including GK's. '15 brought with it direct injection, Mexican manufacturing, and a slew of body fitment issues never seen in prior years.

You want a Sport for the cruise control, upgraded stereo, paddle shifters if auto, alloy wheels, body kit, etc. Used, I see no reason to not solely shop Sport models unless on a crazy tight budget. Even then, I'd drop a year and get a Sport, but that's me.

Tires are pretty important with these light cars. I could put tractor tires on my Lincoln and it would ride fine. Cheap or worn tires make the Fit miserable. Get a quality all season speed rated tire and they do fine in the rain. Snow tires and the Fit are reported to be fine for snow. Even going with premium brands, the tires are cheap because of the size. It's a controversial subject, but my Friend and Mom switched to 205/50-16 tires and both say it handles and rides better. My Mom has over 100k on hers with that size and her primary use is 70mph highway driving.

Back to maintenance....the GD and GE Fit's are darn near trouble free. 90+% of problems can be traced to one of 3 things. Spark plugs, ignition coils, or valve adjustment. Valves are easy to adjust, but should be done every 60k for optimum performance. It only makes sense to change the plugs at that same time. OEM coils last a long time, but the cheaper aftermarket options aren't as reliable.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
don’t forget the weird seating position too. but drive one and decide. you might like it you might not. 2012-2013 were da best yrs. and don’t forget to read up on tilting da driver seat, gas pedal return spring. member here figured out a clever way to make the GE comfy.

unless u plan on racing ferrari’s in da supermarket parking lot i’d stay away from GD.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Black3sr is his name.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
The GD has better seats and seating position

Seat mods to the GE sound like a good plan!

Old 07-30-2018, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
stop posting bs mang. GD seats were just as bad if not worse. u must be like 5’2” or have short legs if u can fit properly..i have to sit all da way back. and GD don’t have telescoping steering wheel.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
The seats are pretty darn good. Your memory at your age probably isn't what it used to be My Mom's '11 seats have the largest lumbar I've ever seen and it's not adjustable. If sway backed, it might be ok, but not good for me.

The steering wheel position in our GD is downright awful! It should be at least 2 inches closer to the driver.

Really, if we're shopping ergonomics, all generations of Fit are poor compared to a VW Golf/GTI. German's are just better at ergonomics, but plan on more repairs than with a Honda of the GD/GE variety. GK's...seem to be falling more in line with VW's when it comes to potential repairs it would seem from what I see around here.

A quick autotrader search shows that a 2012 certified Fit Sport can be had for around $10k. I can't think of a smarter buy at $10k.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Your memory at your age probably isn't what it used to be
Or was it my memory that's fading? I don't remember.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 PM
Well, I'm too biased to really give a fair assessment. We have a Fit which caused my Mom to buy a Fit (2011 Sport) and a friend to buy a Fit (2009 Sport). Clearly, our household, my parents, and our friends see the value in them.

IMO, the one to buy is a '12-13 Sport. Manual if you have two feet. They are way more fun to drive than other choices in their category and are super reliable given proper maintenance and care.

'12 was an update year that brought slightly better sound deadening and a front end refresh. I think they are the best all around Fit made including GK's. '15 brought with it direct injection, Mexican manufacturing, and a slew of body fitment issues never seen in prior years.

You want a Sport for the cruise control, upgraded stereo, paddle shifters if auto, alloy wheels, body kit, etc. Used, I see no reason to not solely shop Sport models unless on a crazy tight budget. Even then, I'd drop a year and get a Sport, but that's me.

Tires are pretty important with these light cars. I could put tractor tires on my Lincoln and it would ride fine. Cheap or worn tires make the Fit miserable. Get a quality all season speed rated tire and they do fine in the rain. Snow tires and the Fit are reported to be fine for snow. Even going with premium brands, the tires are cheap because of the size. It's a controversial subject, but my Friend and Mom switched to 205/50-16 tires and both say it handles and rides better. My Mom has over 100k on hers with that size and her primary use is 70mph highway driving.

Back to maintenance....the GD and GE Fit's are darn near trouble free. 90+% of problems can be traced to one of 3 things. Spark plugs, ignition coils, or valve adjustment. Valves are easy to adjust, but should be done every 60k for optimum performance. It only makes sense to change the plugs at that same time. OEM coils last a long time, but the cheaper aftermarket options aren't as reliable.
Thanks for going into a deep dive on this. I appreciate it!

I will be looking at a '13 Sport manual this week. It has pretty low miles at ~20,600, but still seems priced high at nearly $13k; Kelley Blue Book says $10-12k. Carfax report looks pretty good. The only other issue is just personal; my partner can't drive stick and would prefer I get an automatic. My previous car was a manual, and I really enjoy them just personally.

The other two I'm looking at are an '09 and '12 base. They still have not a whole lot of miles on them, 78k on '09 and 50k on the '12.

Last edited by WarBiscuit; 07-30-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: misspelled carfax
Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
$13k is high, but the mileage is unusually low. I think I'd lean towards a later GK at that price point. But you should be able to get a really nice 2012-2013 for 10k or less. If your budget allows, the newer ones that you're looking at are going to be a better buy for your money than the 09, which in a month will be 10 model years old.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Oh - and I agree with everything GAFIT summarized so perfectly, except I can't comment on the GD seats as I haven't driven one of those. But you're not looking at a GD anyway..

Quick Reply: New member & looking to buy