Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

07 Fit Sport totaled

Old 08-02-2018, 09:01 PM
07 Fit Sport totaled

My 07 Fit, which only had 40k miles on it was totaled the other week. A pick-up truck blew through his stop sign and fish boned me. I spun around and thankfully I did not hit any parked cars/pedestrians waiting to cross. Thankfully no one was hurt. My poor little Fit I was absolutely shocked when my insurance cut me a check for nearly 6k. I didn't think for 1 second it would be worth anywhere close to that.

So I went shopping. I was trying to decide between an 18 Fit & an 18 Civic. I wound up going with the Fit because, well I loved my 07 so much, plus it came with features that would have made it cost prohibitive to add on to the LX Civic.

I got it in Lunar Silver and it looks awesome. I think it looks more metallic. Although I had some hesitation about going with essentially the same color again, my other options were the orange or black and I figured orange wouldn't retain it's resale value and black is too difficult to keep clean.

Gotta say, booooooo on the arm rest though. It is just completely unusable. Any after market products you guys are using?

​​​​​​Name:  Jc50zYj.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  1.94 MB
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Name:  MKN2vDt.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  131.9 KB
​​​​​​Name:  XTi0C4X.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  336.4 KB

Old 08-02-2018, 11:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry to hear about ur crash, but congrats on da new ride!

Old 08-03-2018, 09:14 AM
yeh, surprised about the residual value, specially nyc.
when driven enough, can you compare and contrast between
the two models.

thanks

Old 08-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Brooklyn-Fit
I was absolutely shocked when my insurance cut me a check for nearly 6k. I didn't think for 1 second it would be worth anywhere close to that.​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
My 2011 Fit was totaled few weeks ago and my insurance gave me $7k. I was expecting less because it has 163k mileage on that car.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by sarasube
yeh, surprised about the residual value, specially nyc.
when driven enough, can you compare and contrast between
the two models.

thanks
I don't think I've driven it enough at this point to really say for sure. But I'll make these opinions anyway.

While both cars have the 1.5L 4 cylinder engine, and the newer model has 128 HP compared to the 109 in the 07 Fit, I really think that the 07 seemed peppier. (Eco off)

However, this belief of mine may be due to the far more cautious nature in the way I'm driving after a scary accident? I dunno. But after a week of driving, I think that the 07 was more fun to drive. But again, it might be my caution or my tendency to baby a brand new car. I also think that the blue, teal, green indicators & MPG gauge that I now have changed how I drive. I realize I'm never going to get great gas mileage in the city, but still I want it to be as good as it can be.

What is for sure, is the 18 is noisier. I don't know if this is because the engine is louder or the cabin is not as sound proof as the 07 was.

Stylistically & feature wise, the 2018 blows the 07 out of the water. it isn't even close there.

Overall I'm super happy with my choice, but the 07 fit me like a glove.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
A new glove never feels as good as the old glove but give it a little time and you will be right at home. As far is road noise goes that is the reason that cars have radios, turn it up, problem solved.
I would have went to orange, you think a color is going to effect resale value. The color of your 07 Fit did not influence the amount you recovered from insurance.

Enjoy the new Fit!!!

Old 08-03-2018, 01:54 PM
1. Sorry to hear about someone fishboning you.
2. Congratulations on the new car!
3. Good to see that the old Fit protected you in what could've been a pretty horrific collision. I see those side curtain airbags deployed.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by DaGou
A new glove never feels as good as the old glove but give it a little time and you will be right at home. As far is road noise goes that is the reason that cars have radios, turn it up, problem solved.
I would have went to orange, you think a color is going to effect resale value. The color of your 07 Fit did not influence the amount you recovered from insurance.

Enjoy the new Fit!!!
I don't know if it's for sure, but my parents told me this when I bought my first car. Traditional colors hold resale value, where as fun, possibly trendy colors don't. It makes sense to me as the general average joe may feel that a color like orange or yellow "isn't them."

Anyone know for sure? Do traditional colors hold their resale value vs non-traditional colors?

Old 08-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by MoonTzu
1. Sorry to hear about someone fishboning you.
2. Congratulations on the new car!
3. Good to see that the old Fit protected you in what could've been a pretty horrific collision. I see those side curtain airbags deployed.
Yes. My GF was in the passenger seat. She got a pretty nasty bump on her arm from where the plastic molding blew off to deploy the airbags. She also had a bit of a sore back. All in all we're very lucky.

All things considered, we're just upset that we didn't get to see the Weezer/Pixies concert we were on our way to.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
dat sucks mang.. hope for a speedy recovery. yah, ive been hit multiple times and i sympathize bout plan changes.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry about the bad luck, but congrat's on the new car!

The "noisier" part is probably due to the CVT. My Dad's CR-V would be much quieter if it weren't for the drone caused by the CVT.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
cvt = continuous vacuum tones

Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about the gd! Glad you're ok

Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
in regards to the "pep", are we talking, the initial take off/throttle response on the old car was better than the new car?

or are we talking the power band/flooring the pedal altogether?

or are we talking, you're able to deliver tofu faster in the mountains/twistys on the old car vs the new one?

Old 08-27-2018, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
in regards to the "pep", are we talking, the initial take off/throttle response on the old car was better than the new car?

or are we talking the power band/flooring the pedal altogether?

or are we talking, you're able to deliver tofu faster in the mountains/twistys on the old car vs the new one?
Quoting just because I love the Initial D reference and I'm curious about the GK comparison too.

Glad to hear you and your girl are safe though.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:21 PM
Thanks for posting about this. I just had a really similar experience. My 07 Fit Sport was t-boned on the highway by an SUV- we were hit right below the gas tank on the driver's side and sent spinning into the other lanes. Luckily, no other cars were there. The fit actually had what appeared to be minimal damage- the gas tank area was dented in but more superficial dents on the passenger side door and some scratches on the driver's side door. My partner and I were essentially uninjured- seatbelts kept us strapped in. The driver of the other car seemed to be impaired in some way but they tried to blame us nonetheless Fortunately, a construction crew was there and witnessed it so we had witness reports. The other guy's liability covered it.

The declared my car totaled a few days ago which really bummed me out because it was my first car and I bought it new and had it for 11 years. This is my first accident and I'm devastated that I won't have my car anymore. It only had 77k miles on it. The insurance company wants to settle for $7300. What do you guys think? Is this an okay deal?

I'm also trying to buy a car. Thanks to OP for posting their experience with the 18 Fit. I'm not sure if you already posted this, but can you say which trim level you got? I'm also thinking about getting a new fit but they seem kind of flashy (I really miss my 07). The NHTSA safety ratings seem quite good. The dealerships near me are all out of Honda Fits so I haven't been able to drive one. Do you think that it feels like a sturdy car?

Thanks again for posting.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
I think $7300 is a really good offer. It's worth less than that as a private party sale and worth only half that on a trade in.

The Fit is now made in Mexico and the plant was flooded which has depleted dealer inventories. I believe they are not projected to get more until April.

Other good options include:
Civic Hatchback
VW Golf
Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Subaru Impreza Hatch

If shopping an automatic, I'd lean toward the Golf since it does not have a CVT. If shopping for a manual, I'd lean toward the Civic Hatchback. Those are just personal preferences though. All of those listed are good vehicles.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I think $7300 is a really good offer. It's worth less than that as a private party sale and worth only half that on a trade in.

The Fit is now made in Mexico and the plant was flooded which has depleted dealer inventories. I believe they are not projected to get more until April.

Other good options include:
Civic Hatchback
VW Golf
Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Subaru Impreza Hatch

If shopping an automatic, I'd lean toward the Golf since it does not have a CVT. If shopping for a manual, I'd lean toward the Civic Hatchback. Those are just personal preferences though. All of those listed are good vehicles.
Wow, thanks for all these suggestions. I've looked into the impreza and the golf but had NO IDEA that there was a civic hatchback. What you do think of the HR-V and other similar cross-overs? I have taken it for a test drive and it resembles the fit in some ways but not all.

Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'm the wrong person to ask about the HR-V or other car based cross overs. I don't like any of them by any manufacture, but they are popular.

Imagine taking a Fit and raising the center of gravity a foot into the air. They all start life using a car like chassis and then get lifted in the air. Net result is poor handling, poor fuel economy, and poor acceleration with additional wind noise, no extra interior space and no towing capacity. Basically you have all of the negatives of a car with none of the advantages of a real SUV. But, to each their own. Many like them. If you take one for a test drive, find the nearest good corner and try to take it at the same speed that's normal for the Fit and see if you would be comfortable in an accident avoidance situation. Most have very low skid pad numbers which tells you how well they will do.

In the case of the HR-V, it's also powered by an anemic Civic motor from the past generation. It really needs the 1.5t from the current Civic.

Once again, I'm the wrong person to ask since the roads are littered with small cross overs.

Back to the Civic Hatch...it's pretty cool as we haven't had a Civic Hatch in the US for quite some time. This Civic Hatch is only made in Honda's UK plant and isn't super common. I'm trying to talk my Mom into trading in her Fit for one, but no luck yet. She really likes her '11 Fit Sport.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Thanks for letting me know. It makes sense that cross-over vehicles would have those kinds of issues. As a result of the accident, I'm definitely trying to buy the "safest" option that I can afford. I do have to do more research, however. I've been watching a lot of crash test simulations and learning about the options that way. I'm honestly surprised that my 07 Fit held up so well in a high impact crash; I'm hoping to find another car that does something similar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 Fit Sport totaled