Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

can u tell a difference when u upgraded to aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
can u tell a difference when u upgraded to aftermarket

So about to upgrade but wondering is it a big difference changing to a sub new deck and new amped speakers can u tell

Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
I've only switched the headunit but it was a night and day difference. the OEM headunit is junk compared to a good aftermarket headunit

Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Just speakers would make a huge difference. The magnet on the OEM speakers is about the size of a stack of 8 quarters. Silly.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
I've only switched the headunit but it was a night and day difference. the OEM headunit is junk compared to a good aftermarket headunit
Originally Posted by hiwatt357
Just speakers would make a huge difference. The magnet on the OEM speakers is about the size of a stack of 8 quarters. Silly.
Two different opinions lol. Junk head unit = junk sound on any speakers. Get a new head unit. The stock speakers aren't hella good but they work loads better when they aren't receiving a shit signal. Probably sound much better than the stock head unit on better speakers.

Also, @hiwatt357, why on earth would you want a massive magnet on your door speakers? They're mainly for mid range which doesn't need a massive magnet. If you're looking for boom-boom get a sub woofer. And going the way you're suggesting wouldn't help sound. The stock head unit wouldn't have the power to drive speakers with bigger magnets..

Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Two different opinions lol. Junk head unit = junk sound on any speakers. Get a new head unit. The stock speakers aren't hella good but they work loads better when they aren't receiving a shit signal. Probably sound much better than the stock head unit on better speakers.

Also, @hiwatt357, why on earth would you want a massive magnet on your door speakers? They're mainly for mid range which doesn't need a massive magnet. If you're looking for boom-boom get a sub woofer. And going the way you're suggesting wouldn't help sound. The stock head unit wouldn't have the power to drive speakers with bigger magnets..
The factory head unit was already yanked in my Fit when I purchased it, so I cannot accurately speak in regards to its quality. However, the factory speakers were still in the doors, and when I replaced them with a pair of Alpine SPS-600's, there was a big difference in the sound quality. I had a similar experience with my Ford Explorer when I replaced all of the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers while using the stock head unit. Of course, the sound improved even more when I replaced the head unit in the Explorer.

In addition, I never said that I wanted a massive magnet in my door speakers. I was surprised, though, when I saw the size of the magnet on the factory speaker. I don't think I have ever seen a magnet that small on a factory speaker. And the magnets on the Alpine's aren't "massive":

As for the door speakers (which are the only speakers in the car) being "mainly for mid range", if you do not have a subwoofer, they should have the capability of sounding good in the low frequencies as well.

And there's no reason why the factory head unit would have any trouble pushing a speaker with a larger magnet. From what I have read, the standard factory head units are 160 watts total, which is obviously 40 watts peak per channel. A typical aftermarket head unit puts out about 50 watts peak per channel, so there's only a 10 watt difference between factory and aftermarket. And when you consider that to double the loudness, power has to increase tenfold, that 10 watt difference isn't much. Plus, you could just seek out more efficient speakers to get more sound out of the wattage you have.

In any regard, we all know that factory stereos are pretty much crap considering what they cost, and the OP would do well to replace either part of the factory stereo...head unit or speakers. Of course, replacing all of it would be the best option.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Two different opinions lol.
I don't believe in "post count = knowledge" but it definitely applies here :P

Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
I just installed my new headunit.
The stock speakers really aren't bad. Just needs a subwoofer to get the lows. I used to have new front components as well in my old Fit, and the stock speakers are pretty good compared to them.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah. The speakers aren't bad. The headunit just puts out a shitty signal

Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
I don't believe in "post count = knowledge" but it definitely applies here :P
Lol without a doubt.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
In that case, bow to my infinite knowledge.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
In that case, bow to my infinite knowledge.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
lolwut where is you words

Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
One other thing to add to the debate is the reliance of sensitivity as a measure of one speaker vs another. Sensitivity mainly refers to the volume difference of two different speakers when driven by the same power. A higher sensitivity rating (a more sensitive speaker) will be louder. This may or may not be a better sounding speaker. The build quality (basket material i.e. cast versus stamped, cone material, magnet size and make up, voice coil etc) will all play into what sounds good. Like others have brought up the power is the big change when you move to an aftermarket H/U (or external amp) since the OEM H/U should have about 8 watts RMS. Regardless of all of the specs how a speaker sounds is the most important factor. Listening to a speaker should be the ultimate deciding factor when it comes to picking out a new set.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
lolwut where is you words
Once you has 11,000 posts you no need words

Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
i see 1700 :P

Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
ffffffffffffffffffff

Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
The stock head unit has a built in equalization curve that you can't turn off. Its akin to jacking up the bass and trebel all the way. Except the adjustments they give you arn't in the same spot on the freqency spectrum so you can't counter act it (you just end up with a peak in the looer trebel and another in the lower midrange). A new head unit makes a world of difference in these (whereas the stock one in my subaru was decent to start). Then add speakers and you are good.

As far as magnet size, they may be neodymian magnets, though I doubt it.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I would think an aftermarket stereo would help the speakers just because most have a pre-amp that'll send (50wattsx4) to each speaker for added power.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raiderfit
I would think an aftermarket stereo would help the speakers just because most have a pre-amp that'll send (50wattsx4) to each speaker for added power.
That's generally the peak rating, not RMS. The factory stereos are 40 watts x 4 and 50 watts x 4 peak, actually.

Quick Reply: can u tell a difference when u upgraded to aftermarket