Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

HID Glare. fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Deivioncrx
The USDM Bumper has the 5mph Crash Bumper behind it, because of retarded American laws, this makes the bumper longer(about 4-5") because of that the fenders are long and the headlights are longer the hood is longer everything is longer.
ic2.... so that's the diff

Old 06-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Deivioncrx
The USDM Bumper has the 5mph Crash Bumper behind it, because of retarded American laws, this makes the bumper longer(about 4-5") because of that the fenders are long and the headlights are longer the hood is longer everything is longer.
It's my belief that this is also why the first Fit's over here had problems with the airbags deploying too early, so if you have a pre Nov'06 model you should confirm which software you have for the airbags.

If it is not the updated you should be able to do the JDM front end conversion and then the airbags should be timed correctly.

If you have the update or a post Nov '06 car and do the JDM conversion your front airbags will most likely deploy too late.

Fun huh?

Old 06-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Newb to Fits here, but are the headlight housings you're talking about aftermarket projectors like TYC's or something, or are they actual HID projectors that are designed to take D2R bulbs? Most aftermarket "projector" headlights use crappy halogen fog light projectors, so using a HID kit in them is no bueno. I could be wrong, but from the pic in your sig, it looks like you have the OEM halogen housings. That might be the reason why you have so much glare. I've never been a fan of HID kits because of the outrageous color temps, false advertising, and glare created by using a reflector based halogen housing.

Originally Posted by LiL Wee FIT
Unfortunately, the only fix that I know of would be custom retrofit. Meaning, getting projectors from OEM HID and fabricate them into your headlight housing.
LiL Wee FIT is right. Projector retrofits are the best way to have HID's that don't cause crazy glare. There's really no way to eliminate glare when you slap a HID bulb into a halogen housing since they're not designed for bulbs that bright.

Last edited by timot_one; 07-01-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
HIDs rock, but yeah best cheapest bet for now is to aim lower, that's what I did... then I went in front of the car and kneeled down to see when the glare occurs, it starts low so it's not bad. Fit headlights are good stuff!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by timot_one
I've never been a fan of HID kits because of the outrageous color temps, false advertising, and glare created by using a reflector based halogen housing.

LiL Wee FIT is right. Projector retrofits are the best way to have HID's that don't cause crazy glare. There's really no way to eliminate glare when you slap a HID bulb into a halogen housing since they're not designed for bulbs that bright.
I agree. I love the way HID's look but the glare factor has kept me away from them. If someone makes some decent looking projectors for the Fit, I'll be in line but until then, I'll stick with my Eurolite Xenon's.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure that aiming your headlights lower will do much for reducing glare. The reflector housing in your headlights are for the low and high beams, so putting a brighter bulb in (with or without a shield) will essentially be the same as driving around with your high beams on.

Crawly, if I were you I'd save up and either pay for someone to do one or try to do your own retrofit. Using OEM HID components are the only way to go if you want good output, sharp cutoff, and reliability.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
they say projector 'style'. are they projectors or what?
Originally Posted by p1yo2
they are projector lamps for HID.. if you use halogen, you will blind at night... a friend of mine said that to me...
I know this is old, but for the record, this is incorrect. Projector 'style' headlights use halogen projectors, not HID projectors. Yes there is such a thing. They come stock on quite a few cars. I know for a fact that the Acura MDX (and perhaps the Honda Pilot) both recieved them during the mMC for the previous generation.

If you're going to go with projectors, go with an actual retrofit of a decent quality HID projector, like the S2000 (which is expensive) or the TSX (which is slightly more affordable). Projector 'style' headlights more often times than not SUCK at light output. The only reason you'd want to put them on your car is for the look. If it were me, I'd at least like the look to be functional.

Also, there's a product made for HID plug-and-play kits that reduces glare. It's a piece of metal that I think goes around the bulb and forces light output straight forward with a decent cut-off. I'm sure you could probably make that yourself.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:18 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
yes halogen projectors dont work well with HIDs. You get hotspots and output and cutoff is sacrificed

Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM
When I retro my gf's fit, I'm going to go with either a TL projector, or the newly popular TFX (FX35/45 projector/TSX clear lense). While the S2000's and TSX's are awesome projectors, the TL and TFX (or even a regular FX) would be better suited to the Fit because they're bi-xenon and the Fit has it's low and high beam in one reflector. Then you won't lose any functionality.