Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

LED Tails issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
LED Tails issue

Ok, I did a search, but maybe I missed someone having this issue. I don't think it's any big deal, but it bothers me.

The weather has been horrible lately, and I couldn't stand to look at the MR Fit a soft shade of road salt white any longer. It was around 42 today, small break in the cold and snow, so I decided I'd throw some water on her rather than take her to the car wash. I hosed her off and used only luke warm water in the bucket. Hot water and cold glass do not a good combination make. So everything is fine. I pulled her back in the garage and proceeded to dry her off. I turned on the parking lights just to make sure everything was working the way it should be and low and behold, there was a slight fog inside both of my LED tails. It's probably happened before, and I never noticed it. I'm guessing that it will go away after the tails get back to normal temperature and the warm water and cold hose water was the likely cause. I took off the back panels and there's no water leakage around the light itself. MY question is, do you think I should be concerned? It's been about 6 hours now and I haven't gone back out to check them yet. If they're still fogged up tomorrow, I'm ripping them off and seeing if I can do something about it. Anyone else ever have this happen with their tails?

Old 12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i dont have led tails, just oem ones but i thought there was water in mine but it seems that there is a little lip around the housing. as water gets behind there and looks like its in the housing though, its not. again, i have no idea if the led lights are the same way.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Uh I just put my jdm tail lights in last week... rained yesterday... and was very cold... i came out this morning... everything seemed fine... Since I just put them in last week, I wanted to make sure that there were no water leaks too... but I had no problems...

There's only a couple possibilities... you either have a crack, or some form of water leak... because in order for it to fog up inside... there must be some moisture in there.

I would check the surface for any cracks or whatever just in case... look closely because they could be tiny.

Anyways if i have this problem i'll try and figure it out or if you figure it out let me know. Hope this helps in anyway.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by Crawly
Ok, I did a search, but maybe I missed someone having this issue. I don't think it's any big deal, but it bothers me.

The weather has been horrible lately, and I couldn't stand to look at the MR Fit a soft shade of road salt white any longer. It was around 42 today, small break in the cold and snow, so I decided I'd throw some water on her rather than take her to the car wash. I hosed her off and used only luke warm water in the bucket. Hot water and cold glass do not a good combination make. So everything is fine. I pulled her back in the garage and proceeded to dry her off. I turned on the parking lights just to make sure everything was working the way it should be and low and behold, there was a slight fog inside both of my LED tails. It's probably happened before, and I never noticed it. I'm guessing that it will go away after the tails get back to normal temperature and the warm water and cold hose water was the likely cause. I took off the back panels and there's no water leakage around the light itself. MY question is, do you think I should be concerned? It's been about 6 hours now and I haven't gone back out to check them yet. If they're still fogged up tomorrow, I'm ripping them off and seeing if I can do something about it. Anyone else ever have this happen with their tails?
let us know how this turns out...what brand of tails you running

Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
its just condensation from the temp change itll go away and shouldnt cause any problems -- it happens to headlights more commonly but either way itll go away once the temp inside the light and outside are closer to being the same
you can keep an eye on it and if it keeps happening take a bulb out and let it air out on a dry day for a few hours and then seal it back up with the bulb

Old 12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I went out about an hour after I posted the issue, and they're perfectly clear. I got the tails from N1concepts and I love them. I'll keep an eye on them but I think the issue was because of the temperature change. as stated above. It never did that during the summer and since I was using warm water on it to wash it, it was just the perfect combination.
Just a heads up, the tails are great and I'd buy them again. I don't want to sway anyone from buying from N1. This was something that was caused by me and not the tails. I checked for hairline crackes on and around the seams of the lights, they look perfect. The factory tails on my truck do the same thing when I was it with warm water......but it doesn't go out in the weather much lol

Thanks for the help though guys, I'll keep an eye on them.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
*UPDATE
The car is sitting out in the parking lot at work....It's about 35 degrees out and the fog is back in the tails. I'm going to send an email to N1 Concepts and see what they say or if they've had this issue before.

I don't see any cracks or anything on the lights or on the seams where they were put together and I'm always careful with them. I dunno. It's frustrating though because now I'll end up pulling them off and try to see what's going on.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Crawly
*UPDATE
The car is sitting out in the parking lot at work....It's about 35 degrees out and the fog is back in the tails. I'm going to send an email to N1 Concepts and see what they say or if they've had this issue before.

I don't see any cracks or anything on the lights or on the seams where they were put together and I'm always careful with them. I dunno. It's frustrating though because now I'll end up pulling them off and try to see what's going on.

that is one of my pet peeves!!! keep us informed. I was going to get a set of N1's, but now I will wait until resolution....

Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Will do. I'm going to check them when I go out this after noon and after I get home since I have about 40 miles of highway driving to do. I'll let you know when i hear back from N1 too.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, so I pulled the tails off last night, checked them out and they look perfect. no holes, cracks, or seperation where the light is put together. I figured since I had them off, I'd clean them up really good. I didn't get them back on till about 1 AM last night and its raining pretty bad in the area. The car sat outside all evening and I drove it to work and the tails look fine. Maybe I accidently fixed the issue lol.

I'm going to check them at luch and see how they look. I'm currently in the process of bouncing emails back and forth with N1, but I think whatever taking them off and putting them back on did, fixed the problem.
I'll let you know how they look later.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Since you originally put them on when it was warmer, there could have been a decent amount of water suspended in the air, but as it gets colder, the air can't absorb all that moisture and it would appear as fog on the tail light. One thing you could do would be to put a desicant packet like comes with shoes or some medicines on a string and pull a bulb and put it through the hole and retrieve it in a week or so.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
That's really not a bad idea. I have a ton of those packets laying around.

I went out at lunch and the fog is back. If I can't get rid of it, I might have to break down and buy $300 pair of JDM ones. Other then what was suggested, I'm not sure what else to try. I didn't try to take out the LED boards and clean the inside of the lens.....maybe try that? I dunno.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
frustrating and annoying. I would try the packets before JDM. again, keep us informed. .....

Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Will do. I sent them another email too. See if they can suggest anything.

Who on here sold the JDM LED tails?

Last edited by Crawly; 12-13-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
The JDM LED tails are $450.00 LOL....wow. ahhhh boy. I hope I can get this figured out.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I don't do knock off stuff because of problems like this. I have OEM JDM tails 1.5S custom tinted. I would rather run my stocks then buy knock offs.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smatts
I don't do knock off stuff because of problems like this. I have OEM JDM tails 1.5S custom tinted. I would rather run my stocks then buy knock offs.

sometimes the risk is worth it

Old 12-13-2007, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, I spoke with the guys from N1 and once again, thier customer service blew me away. I was asked which one was doing it, the left or the right and was told they would sent out a replacement. I responded by telling them they were both fogging up but I would be willing to pay for one if they would pay for the other. I personally, didn;t have a problem with that. They're going to send me a new set of tails to replace the ones I have. Maybe it's just me, but I was pretty impressed with this offer since my original email to them was just looking for advice on things to try to solve the problem. I'm extermely happy with N1's support. I would highly recommend them to anyone here. Their customer service is top notch and they've got a lifetime customer here as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they want the old pair back or not. If not, I'm going to see if I can find out what happened to them when I take them off or maybe it was just a bad pair. Not sure, but I'll keep you updated on that too.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
That is really awesome!! I hoped the desicant would work, but a new tail light(s) is even better.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Just a quick update on this whole thing, I got the new tails that N1 sent out and they were packed unbelievably well. I think maybe the first set got dropped or something and maybe caused the issue. Cali to Ohio is a pretty good hop.

Anyways, I got them put in and they look great and no Fog issue. I even tried to make them fog up the way I did before with the other set and I couldn't get them too. N1 totally took care of me. I highly recommend them.