General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Water Getting into the car from MULTIPLE PLACES !!!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Water Getting into the car from MULTIPLE PLACES !!!

Hi!

I'am a newbie here, and decided to join to share with you the issues I am
facing with my 2005 1.4 Jazz.
I've been reading some posts on this forum about water infiltrations, but I guess I still haven't found nothing similar to what I am facing ...

Water keeps getting into the car when it stays on downpour for some time, leaving the driver's side footwell completely soaked.

I've done several water pouring tests and I could find the water getting in from 3 different places :

1 - Between Inner Door Panel and the Door Lining. This was the first one I could found. I took the car to the dealer and it seems this is a common falult (already known by honda) and found that you guys here also know the fault. It is now repaired.

2 - After the first repair, water kept getting into the driver's side footwell, leaving it completely soaked ... No luck. So I decided to do some more comprehensive tests, and found that the water was also getting into the car by under the rubber frame seal on the bottom chassis surface, where the door joins when closed. I gess I will have to replace this rubber seal too.

3 - Now for the worst ... I removed the carpets and the floor isolation material and I asked for a friend to pour water continuously onto the windshield and onto the front left pillar and window areas while I was checking inside the car from where the water gets into the car. After finding the water getting in from under the frame rubber seal, I also found water coming from behind the dashboard, near the top of it ... Damn ...
I can see the water comimg from there but this is a very difficult area to reach so I can't determine from where it comes exactly. What in the hell can cause the water to get in from behind the dashboard, on the drivers place ? It splills along the chassis metal wall between the engine and the dashboard, near the left pillar, so it is getting in somewere near the top of the dashboard, but I can't reach that area ...

Is there an air entrance on this place ? Could it be the windshield sealant failing ?
Do you have any ideias about from where the water could be getting in ? It seems it starts to spill only after a minute or so of continuous water pouring, so it seems to me that it must be gathering somewhere and then overflows into the car from some kind of opening that exists behind the dashboard ...

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by Cyphron; 12-24-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 PM
if i were you (and im not), i would SELL the car! Fit or not, i would never keep a leaky car-i know because my 99 VW beetle Tdi (G-d how I LOVED that engine with the chip installed! ) did it too. after I realised that nothing would work that I did, I traded it in for my 09' SSM Fit. with the3 way the market is now, even in Europe, i am sure they (honda ddealers) will trade with you for business. wont hurt to ask!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by jeffe007
if i were you (and im not), i would SELL the car! Fit or not, i would never keep a leaky car-i know because my 99 VW beetle Tdi (G-d how I LOVED that engine with the chip installed! ) did it too. after I realised that nothing would work that I did, I traded it in for my 09' SSM Fit. with the3 way the market is now, even in Europe, i am sure they (honda ddealers) will trade with you for business. wont hurt to ask!
Thanks for your words, but I think selling the car just because it is a leaky unit seems a radical approach to me.

I've already discovered where the leak comes from, and I will take the car to the dealer again for a repair. I'm a persistent person, so I got my hands on it removing the isolation material below the carpet and behind the dashboard to see where the water was coming from. This kind of stuff usually have simple solutions, and are related with assembly errors in the majority of times, assuming the car has not had any big crashes, as is the case.

Appart from the known leaking problem some these cars have (the one caused by bad inner door panel sealants, causing the water to infiltrate between the door lining and door panels) I found that my Jazz has another leaking source.

After some tests, I found that the water gets in by the upper left corner of the windshield, which is probably caused by bad sealant or windshield fitting procedure.
The water gets in and spills along the left pillar to the bottom part of the windshield, causing it to leak from behind the dashboard and underneath the isolation material below the carpets, soaking all that area.

When the water is too much it not only spills along the left pillar but starts to spill along the rubber chassis sealant around the door, causing the water to appear on the driver's footwell by the inner side of the rubber sealant on the bottom part of the door.

Taken this into account, the source of the leaks I reported on topics 2 and 3 of the first post is the same : Bad windshield sealant.

Tomorrow I will take the car to the dealer and explain the issue.
This is definitely an assembly defect, so honda should assume the repair costs, but I guess they will not do it because the warranty period has expirecd already.

But I guess that removing the windshield and fitting it again with new sealant is a straightforward task, so I do not expect high repair costs.

I'll keep you informed about the end of this story.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
If the dealership do not repair it for you then a black or clear silicone sealant smoothed over in the seam of the windshield with your finger should also work.

Kind Regards
Chris

Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Goodluck,.. nice to see some Portuguese people on here

Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
Multiple leak reports.

Originally Posted by Cyphron
Thanks for your words, but I think selling the car just because it is a leaky unit seems a radical approach to me.
Listen, I'm new here too. But after having some time and doing a pseudo-extensive search of this forum (I'm waiting for my 2010 Fit to be delivered) I noticed there are threads about your very problem. From what I remember the problems were resolved. Multiple people reporting leaks in their Fits from '05-'07, possibly '08 models, but don't quote me on the problem years... I could be remembering wrong. But I am sure about multiple leakage problems, reports on this forum, and fixes.

Unfortunately, because I'm new, I don't remember where the reports were posted. Possibly in the "Fixes" section... but not solely I don't think.

Just do a search for "leaks" and anything similar.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 AM
The leaking problem is now solved.

As I said before, the water was getting into the car by the windshield rubber sealant, so I took the car to the dealer, which wanted to charge me around 600$ to solve the problem (remove the windshield and glue it again). The higher price was justified by the need to also replace the windshield, because they could break the current one on the removal procedure.

I decided to find a cheaper option. It was not on my mind to replace the windshield since it was in very good condition.

So I took the car to a car glass company, which could manage to remove the windshield without breaking it. They replaced the rubber seal, cleaned the fitting area with alcohol, and re-installed the same windshield with new injected rubber sealant. Very professional job.
It took an hour of work and they charged me around 55$ for the job.

I did the same water tests I've done before and now the problem is definitely solved. Not a single leak on the car after about 15 minutes of water pouring with a garden hose.

This water leak problem was harder to find than to solve. It took several water tests, time and patience to find from where
the water was leaking from ... Solving it tasted like victory ! :-)

I also found that the stealer can literally rip off your wallet on these kind of problems ...

Hope this can help anyone with similar issues.

Last edited by Cyphron; 12-29-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Congratulations. It feels good to get a frustrating problem successfully resolved, doesn't it?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Congratulations. It feels good to get a frustrating problem successfully resolved, doesn't it?
It feels great. And it felt better when I discovered that I could solve the problem without being robbed by the dealer ... :-)

The windshield leaking problem is not common, and it was very difficult to find where the water was leaking because all the action happened behind the dashboard (not easy to reach and look at) and from below all the floor isolation material... Water seemed to appear from underneath the carpets, because it was slowly soaking the floor isolation material (3 or 4 cm of spongy material underneath the carpet) from the top behind of the dashboard, taking some time to show itself on the top of the carpet on the driver's footwell.
The problem only revealed itself when the car was under downpour for a complete night for example.
This was also causing a strange smell in the cabin, because the excess of humidity.

Appart from the windshield problem, here is a pic of the most common leaking problem, already known by honda, which my Jazz also had :

The water was leaking between the door lining and the door panels, getting directly into the carpets and soaking them.
On my Jazz, this was happening on 3 doors, but the worst was the driver's one, from which the picture was taken from.

Here in Portugal we have hot and sunny weather most of the time and I have never noticed this, adding to the fact that the car stays on the garage at night most of the time, but this winter has been very rainy and the problem started to show itself when the car started to stay out of the garage for some of those rainy nights.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by Cyphron; 01-01-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
I took my 2002 jazz to the dealer this week with water in the boot and water droping from the sun visor screw holes. honda is going to fix the problem for FREE.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Can somebody in this forum especially tech guys from honda to post pictures on where the possible water leak would be... i am also having a hard time determining where is the water coming from. I have this honda fit with water accumulating in the passenger side flooring.

Honda peps help us by posting some guide, tips and detailed pictures of where the possible intrusion.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by bintana2003
Can somebody in this forum especially tech guys from honda to post pictures on where the possible water leak would be... i am also having a hard time determining where is the water coming from. I have this honda fit with water accumulating in the passenger side flooring.

Honda peps help us by posting some guide, tips and detailed pictures of where the possible intrusion.
What about goggling Honda phone contact and get their toll-free number and call their customer service and ask them for direction? After all, you are a Honda customer and it won't hurt try calling them? The way I see it, the worst that can happen by calling them is wasting 30 mins of your time. However, if you are lucky and talk to a helpful Honda service agent, he/she may give you good advice to find the info?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Cyphron
The leaking problem is now solved.

As I said before, the water was getting into the car by the windshield rubber sealant, so I took the car to the dealer, which wanted to charge me around 600$ to solve the problem (remove the windshield and glue it again). The higher price was justified by the need to also replace the windshield, because they could break the current one on the removal procedure.

I decided to find a cheaper option. It was not on my mind to replace the windshield since it was in very good condition.

So I took the car to a car glass company, which could manage to remove the windshield without breaking it. They replaced the rubber seal, cleaned the fitting area with alcohol, and re-installed the same windshield with new injected rubber sealant. Very professional job.
It took an hour of work and they charged me around 55$ for the job.

I did the same water tests I've done before and now the problem is definitely solved. Not a single leak on the car after about 15 minutes of water pouring with a garden hose.

This water leak problem was harder to find than to solve. It took several water tests, time and patience to find from where
the water was leaking from ... Solving it tasted like victory ! :-)

I also found that the stealer can literally rip off your wallet on these kind of problems ...

Hope this can help anyone with similar issues.

I Got a Honda fit and I got both front driver and pass are leaking and the worse thing is when pouring water water on the front and top the water resurface in the back seat floor it comes out in the back just want to know if you were getting water in the back seat floor too