Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Diy... Most Epic Interior Mod Ever!!!...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 AM
billmus86- Thanks....I dont wanna die

Anyone notice that the 3 hvac dials have two white lights that illuminate the cupholders? I had my hand down there getting something...and...TAAA DAAA my hand was having a close encounter of the 3rd kind!

"push lip clip thingy" I cant look at it do you by chance mean "collet"?

"gels" should work...probably going to be more transparent..but that might be good...experiment with some diff colors...luckily I love the red as to me it seemed to work the best...

Yeah the needles probably have a red bulb or are in a red housing...I noticed what you saw too.

Here are some of my thoughts on the lighting origins...

since the colored plasitc-
1. makes the blue appears red and not purple, I think the led's are white and the plastic is the only thing that is colored (you can tell its blue when not illuminated) so I figure that the luminosity is so bright that the white LED wavelengths still dominate when the blue is more filtered out..

2.the odd thing is the blue "strip" on the heater/cooler control becomes purple when the red (lets just call it "gel" from now on) gel goes over it...strange...yes no?

3. the green and yellow lights light up still green and yellow...(yellow is a tad...just a tad orange now....and green is more like a olive green now...so I figure those are dedicated colored leds

4. all the center consol lights illuminate red with the "gel" held over them....quite spectacularly I might add... omg I need to do that too!

5. I noticed that the last "0" setting in the odo panel for brightness control only regulates the "initial" "significant" dimming of the radio backlight and the odo backlight...pretty nifty since they are way brighter in comparison... after that last "0" which would be before...(confused yet?) the instruments and radio backlight as well as controls dim at the same rate.... with the "gel" conversion it becomes very usefull as it can actually make those broad 2 back lit displays very dim and unobtrusive...

thanks for your posts they are really useful

Last edited by Snap Fit; 01-06-2008 at 02:47 AM. Reason: OLE McEDIT HAD A FARM "EDITty EDITtyOh" and on that farm he had an "EDIT" "EDITty EDITtyOh" with an "EDIT EDIT" here and...
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
u kind of crazy dude...not for this mod, the mod is cool, but for the way u type..seems like if you were gonna have a heart attack or ur kind of hyper

+rep well deserved

Old 01-06-2008, 04:16 AM
Thanks....heehee

Originally Posted by fits_all
u kind of crazy dude...not for this mod, the mod is cool, but for the way u type..seems like if you were gonna have a heart attack or ur kind of hyper

+rep well deserved
HAAAHAAAAA... I type really fast...like 80wpm fast... and that was 13 years ago.....(I feel faster now)
so it actually comes out the same amount but faster than I could even say it.....

I am injured and my G-ma is ill (I am taking care of her right by her bed...so I can keep a constant eye on her and her needs so I am by the computer like 12-18hrs per day ) another words until my life is not upside down...this is where I keep my sanity...

It feels very freeing with every keystroke.....gawd how cheezy!!!

heart attack or hyper...hmmm....I will go with extreemely frustrated with my life right now...

Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Daylight reabability of the radio would probably benefit from thinner gels, as would the speedo/tach/gas gauges. I wonder what this would look like if you applied the gels directly behind the speedo/tach/gas gauges...

Old 01-06-2008, 04:44 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
bump. teehee

Old 01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i wouldn't do it for my car, but that is pretty cool what you did, and it was really fun to read. thumbs up!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by cojaro
Daylight reabability of the radio would probably benefit from thinner gels, as would the speedo/tach/gas gauges. I wonder what this would look like if you applied the gels directly behind the speedo/tach/gas gauges...
how true...but I am very able to read everything fine and if too thin I think it would bleed more of the original color...idunno
I think the Fits interior light output is just way.. WAY... higher than most...yipppeee which makes this soooo IMH(of most H)O successful.

I would imagine (I can only guess as im not gunna rip it out yet.... )
that if you put it behind the colors will be way more muted...like the blue will probably be purple or dirty blood red but the rest might be more intense?

Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
i wouldn't do it for my car, but that is pretty cool what you did, and it was really fun to read. thumbs up!
Thank you very much...yeah its probably not for many people...(even though I love it to death I was worried no one would enjoy it)

I really like mods that the driver can enjoy all the time as well.

Last edited by Snap Fit; 01-06-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Because the " EDIT " Button is the " PRE " " PANIC " Button !!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
This makes me think...

VTEC indicator LED DIY + amber gel DIY = red VTEC indicator LEDs behind gauges, so when VTEC engages, the white on the tech/speedo/whatever turns red.

lawl i has idea

Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
alright honda needs to hire all of us right away! these creative minds are just doing no good on our own! we need big fancy meeting rooms and many fits for testing! STAT!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by cojaro
This makes me think...

VTEC indicator LED DIY + amber gel DIY = red VTEC indicator LEDs behind gauges, so when VTEC engages, the white on the tech/speedo/whatever turns red.

lawl i has idea
DOOOOOIT.....DOOOIT......DOOOOOIT *SLAMS FISTS ON TABLE IN SUCCESSION*

Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by billmus86
alright honda needs to hire all of us right away! these creative minds are just doing no good on our own! we need big fancy meeting rooms and many fits for testing! STAT!
I'm game....
Although I must admit *pumps ego up a bit* I am appreciated in my selected fields ....just not now

....gotta split.... off to the hospital again....
this sucks... laters...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 AM
that looks cool! lol tfs! daytime readability is kinda difficult though

Old 01-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by caloyski5
that looks cool! lol tfs! daytime readability is kinda difficult though
Thanks!!! I much appreciate it

Its not bad in the daytime...( I would say somewhat on par with other vehicles with low glare) the pics are hard to get right as even my D2X and photoshop have a hard time getting the contrast and diffused saturation up to where it was to my eye. But yeah its not nearly as bright during the day as it was stock.
Yet It still looks sweet in the day with or without being on!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 AM
bump for a great idea!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by hmgFIT
bump for a great idea!
Why thanks mighty nice of ya!

I have swapped out the red (random) plastic now with some other stuff of a "known" quantity (I needed the plastic I used for another project )
however this new plastic is darn close to what the original was....
so I can tell people what it is (hardly a discernable diff...except this plastic is old and a tiny bit scuffy) it is:

clear PVC red
Raboesch Super Sheets...
the US importer of the stuff is Midwest Products...
thickness .010" # 604-03

less than 2 bucks (I think $1.15...$1.25?)
I have used it alot on models and jobs...can't remember though where I picked it up at...hmmmm....I will have to get back on that...

Its not that important what you use...just if you were wondering what I was sporting now (since I can tell you)...there you go...

It's Still sexy as heck...no change in that department! yeah

Last edited by Snap Fit; 01-14-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Because I have an insatiable urge to do the " EDIT " !!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
i wanted to try this .... well i had no success,... the first thing i found last minute was some left over red plastic wrap
ya it doesnt work that well, so we can cross it off the list of possibilties...
no thanks needed - just doing the dumb stuff so no1 else has to haha

Old 01-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by billmus86
i wanted to try this .... well i had no success,... the first thing i found last minute was some left over red plastic wrap
ya it doesnt work that well, so we can cross it off the list of possibilties...
no thanks needed - just doing the dumb stuff so no1 else has to haha
Thats hysterical!!! HAHAAAA
What a wonderful public service!...maybe plastic wrap didnt work....but...I bet it would have kept it fresh. !

Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
yeah, but my gauges are already red and they redline at 8k.. this mod will not work for me..

Old 01-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
yeah, but my gauges are already red and they redline at 8k.. this mod will not work for me..
S2K?...I didin't know you had one yes...no? If you do then you could have a really, really red display....heehee

When I was first doing this filter swap with the gauges i noticed that if I made a slightly smaller red elipse then I could position the filter/gel plastic so that the blue arched strip shows and then just all the center and numbers are red...it looked really hawt...but I just wanted all red...and... I had the technology

Quick Reply: Diy... Most Epic Interior Mod Ever!!!...