Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Review: Evil AutoStyle Shift Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Review: Evil AutoStyle Shift Light

So as somebody who occasionally hits the track, I have noticed that I tend to bounce off the rev limiter now and then when I get involved in cornering a lot. I don't really need a giant permanent fixed shifting light shooting orange spotlights into my eyes while I am daily driving so I decided to look for other options:

Meet the Evil AutoStyle Shift Lamp

This is a shift lamp that simply plugs into your power outlet and uses the power variation in the car to determine the RPM.

My initial impression is the product is very nice quality, came with instructions and a few extras for mounting.

You simply plug it in, do a bit of messing around with the dial to figure our your desired shift RPM, then the second dial allows you to adjust the brightness for the lamp.

The Beauty of this setup is you can plug it in and go without mucking around with any wires. When you are done at the track, simply remove it and store it away for next time.

I am planning on trying it out this weekend. More details to come on how it performs

PS: If you want to hear more... keep those rep points coming!! lol

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-11-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
i heard about these cig lighter shift lights. i have always been very skeptical about buying one. i want to hit the track for like drag and stuff. and the occasional canyon runs. on that note how much did you get it for. and where?

is it precise with your rev meter?

Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Was a gift, so I am not sure of the price exactly. I suspect an E-bay pick up, maybe about 75$ or so.

Testing it out this weekend, I will pay close attention to the accuracy.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Success!

The device works as described, +/- about 200rpm the light flashes at the desired RPM you adjust the dial to.

Light is orange and emits slow flashing, the lamp output is adjustable allowing you to set it up for whatever lighting conditions you encounter.

I will be installing a few strips of velcro (location not determined yet) so I can attach my shift light and control module where they are most suitable. When I don't need them they will be stored away

Old 04-12-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
heh not a bad gift then eh? wish i got a gift i could actually use.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have to say I was a bit skeptical myself of how accurate it was going to be, but it seems to work as described. My biggest question is if running other electrical systems in the car would affect the signal the device reads and it would read a faulty rpm. Also if the car is under heavy load when accelerating if it is going to read accurately.

I will post up more info as I start to play around with it more in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Looks pretty kool.....better watch out you may get a RICE CITATION ....J/K.....looks nice!

tonyd

Old 05-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Testing Results!

Test #1:
Setup:
Adjust shift light point to 500rpm below red line, drive 40 mins in various city and highway situations.
Purpose: To determine if any false shift light signals are given under load or by other electronics in the car.
Results: No false signals given, shift light never lit unless the desired RPM was achieved.

Test #2:
Setup:
Adjust shift light point to 4000rpm to determine accuracy and if shift light does not activate at desired RPM. Several fast acceleration tests and also under standard driving in city and highway environments. Length of test was 40 mins.
Purpose: To determine if shift light is reliable and accurate.
Results: Shift light activated at the desired RPM during standard driving, light was very effective to grab attention. No missed shift lights during the testing.

Conclusion:
The shift light works exactly as intended under heavy acceleration and in conjunction with various other electronics being activated (Such as windshield wipers, Radio, headlights and defroster). The light was accurate and effective to get attention. I am confident to use this product in an upcoming Autocross event!

Notes:
I was not able to test using stereo equipment (such as capacitors or amplifiers) or such devices as voltage stabilizers or ignition boosters.