Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Weird LED Tail light install problem Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Weird LED Tail light install problem Please Help

Hey guys and gals:
I got some second hand DEPO tails off a trade, and am having an issue.
Installation was mostly easy, but the tails came to me in less than new condition - the LED board connector that clips to the car's harness was chopped, so I had to deal with just the 3 wires left. I soldered on same gauge wiring to extend them, and then figured out which wires corresponded to the car's 3 wire harness, and stripped the ends and pushed the bare wire into the connectors as securely as I could. I used electrical tape to further fasten it. But now there's an issue.
When my lights are all off, the tails work as they should. They light up when I tap the brake pedal and go out after.
But, once my headlights are on, they become fixed - they light up, but won't get any brighter when I tap the brakes. The only thing that lights up is the 3rd brake light.
I ran out of daylight, so I'm going to keep troubleshooting this tommorow, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I know that they aren't in the best shape nor is my way of connecting them ideal, but I'd like to get them working if I can, so it's not a complete loss. Otherwise keep an eye out on the classifieds cause someone is going to get these on the cheap.
I'm contacting the original owner to see what exactly he did.

Thanks for looking and hopefully someone can help

P.S. I'm not an electrical tech so if I'm overlooking something obvious, go easy on me, just a weekend warrior DIYer

Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
easy fix. u need to switch around the two power connectors. U ran the brake lights as the running lights and the running lights as the brake lights. Just switch the position of the red and white wire of the OEM harness.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Kev, I'm going to try that first thing in the morning. But now, some much needed shut eye!