1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Brake light problem

Ok let me give you some background information. The car has aftermarket depo LED tails. They have functioned fine until now. The car was in a rear end wreck a few months ago but the tails functioned fine after the fact as well.

When I hit during the day time with lights off it seems as if all 3 brake lights work. BUT at night when hitting the brake (with headlights on) the only thing to light up is the 3rd brake light.

I understand these are cheap tails and I have new genuine JDM tails on the way HOWEVER. I am thinking it's something in the wiring and not the tail lights because it started happening to both lights at the same time. When if it was a problem with the light it self one would work and the other wouldnt.

On top of all that, THE BRAKE LIGHTS DO WORK ONCE AND A WHILE. So my question for you guys is WTF is going on..?

Thanks for the help in advanced. (I will take a video if I need to)

One user sent me a PM explaining this happened to him and his horn stopped working, it was a fuse. My horn works fine.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Possibly the brake pedal adjustment switch - the one on the top of the brake pedal.
On a 2010 you do this. Worth a look on yours.

Brake Pedal Position Switch Adjustment
Turn the brake pedal position switch ccw and pull back so unit is no longer touching the brake pedal.
Lift up on the brake pedal by hand. Push in the brake
pedal position switch until its plunger is fully pressed. Turn the switch 45 ° clockwise to lock it. The gap
between the brake pedal position switch and the pad
is automatically adjusted to 0.7 mm (0.028 in) by
locking the switch. Make sure the brake lights go off
when the pedal is released.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
I will look in the manual to make sure the same instructions apply for pedal sensor adjustment. When I first noticed the tail problem there was a click when pressing the brake car idling.

Thanks. Anyone else have some input?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't think it's the pedal switch as the third brake light still lights up fine.

I'd start from the back with a meter. check to see you're getting proper voltage at each taillight at the brake light wire. Then trace the wire harness back. If it works some time and not others, I'm guessing something is loose or not connected properly, or possibly not grounded properly.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Going to start testing wires. Anyone know where the ground would be that I should be looking for? Also the shop that did the work after the accident warranty's all there work so, im going to bring it there and ask them to look at it....

Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Working on it tomorrow morning. No time during the week.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Good luck. Connectors, taps, grounds, continuity. Maddening.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Ok we tested a stock tail light and it does the same thing same time the led tail light does it. We tested the switch to make sure it was in the rite position THEN we looked for other problems. After finding nothing we decided maybe it's a bad switch. Unplugged the switch and jumped the brake lights on using a piece of wire over and over with no problem of it not lighting up.

Ordering a new switch from bernardi. Hopefully it fixes my problem.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ciggy
Ok let me give you some background information. The car has aftermarket depo LED tails. They have functioned fine until now. The car was in a rear end wreck a few months ago but the tails functioned fine after the fact as well.

When I hit during the day time with lights off it seems as if all 3 brake lights work. BUT at night when hitting the brake (with headlights on) the only thing to light up is the 3rd brake light.

I understand these are cheap tails and I have new genuine JDM tails on the way HOWEVER. I am thinking it's something in the wiring and not the tail lights because it started happening to both lights at the same time. When if it was a problem with the light it self one would work and the other wouldnt.

On top of all that, THE BRAKE LIGHTS DO WORK ONCE AND A WHILE. So my question for you guys is WTF is going on..?

Thanks for the help in advanced. (I will take a video if I need to)

One user sent me a PM explaining this happened to him and his horn stopped working, it was a fuse. My horn works fine.

My guess is a poor reconection of your tail light wiring when you installed the after market TL. If you have a vom check resistances across the circuit. A bad ground might be first to check. good luck.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Read the news posts mahout. There still may be a problem but I am waiting for the new switch.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 AM
again, I don't believe it's the switch if your 3rd brake light is working.

I'm with mahout, I'd be most suspicious of a bad ground, especially considering your car was in a rear wreck and the brake lights works intermittently.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Iwill check the grounds again.