Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Changing corner running light in the headlights on GE8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Changing corner running light in the headlights on GE8?

Anyone know to change the upper corner running light bulbs on the headlights? I tried and all I could do was remove the plug in clip. I couldn't figure out how to remove the bulb and plug from the headlight housing.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
it's a little pain in the but.
get yourself some good adjustable
pliers and turn it counter clock wise.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
it's a little pain in the but.
get yourself some good adjustable
pliers and turn it counter clock wise.
2x this. You might not need the pliers as I was able to do mine by hand, but when I did mine it took a lot of effort to finally get it to twist free. Also, be sure your replacement bulb will actually fit into the housing. The first pair of bulbs I got were the right size electrically, but the bulb itself was too big to fit in the housing.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by pinoyfitpilot
2x this. You might not need the pliers as I was able to do mine by hand, but when I did mine it took a lot of effort to finally get it to twist free. Also, be sure your replacement bulb will actually fit into the housing. The first pair of bulbs I got were the right size electrically, but the bulb itself was too big to fit in the housing.

I thought they were just 194's?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, they are 194s but the first set of led bulbs I wanted to put in was a little bit too big, so I got some "inverted wedge" type. Here is a pic of my bulbs that were too big to fit. It is a 5 led bulb, 1 facing forward and 1 out to each side. The side facing led's were making the bulb just a hair too wide to fit back inside the housing without breaking the bulb. Plug fit was perfect though.
Name:  lbt10pwg5y.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  27.8 KB

Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by pinoyfitpilot
yeah, they are 194s but the first set of led bulbs I wanted to put in was a little bit too big, so I got some "inverted wedge" type. Here is a pic of my bulbs that were too big to fit. It is a 5 led bulb, 1 facing forward and 1 out to each side. The side facing led's were making the bulb just a hair too wide to fit back inside the housing without breaking the bulb. Plug fit was perfect though.
Well I'm probably ordering from superbrightleds so if I get the 5 leds that face forward it should be fine right?

Probably cool white to match my hyper white headlight bulbs.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I would use fingers or something soft, pliers might break it. Just turn it counter-clockwise. Try the other side too, it may be easier and you'll know how it is supposed to feel when it comes off.

I got these 1 Watt high power amber LEDs for up front, angle is 120 deg and even brighter than original filament bulbs. Around $8 for pair with shipping off ebay. Search '194 amber led'. Superbrightleds has 1Watt similar ones, I wouldn't get the other kinds that don't say 'high power' or over 1 watt because they are not as bright and may be a safety problem at night when other cars can't see you until very close.

be careful with cool white up front. Some locales require an amber color light up front.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by whyzor
be careful with cool white up front. Some locales require an amber color light up front.
Damn.

Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).
Not sure if this applies though. Are running lights considered side markers?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Here's my interpretation, running lights can be bluish, as long as you still have some sort of amber light up front. Unless you're installing extra lights, the GE8 body only has the front parking amber lights, and if you replace them with bluish bulbs, then there won't be any amber left, which might be illegal.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, I'm leaving the turn signals amber....

Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Boo for amber turn signals.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 PM
HID Addict
yea i hate amber, UGH, i was thinking of using switch back turn signals, which means that when theres no turning needed or if you dont hit the switch, its white, but when you turn/hit the switch, it flashes amber, that i like, but the light isnt even on when its not enabled, so thats out the window i did the same thing, its bright blue/white, 8500k, looks exactly like the one that was posted (with the yellow plastic), it was tricky getting it out, i actually thought i was doing it wrong, but i still pulled it out, pliers i definatly don't recomend, plastic will snap and wont be as secure, there fore it will shake when you go over bumps, which is very visble/able to make out with LEDs. when i park on the side or in a parking lot, i turn off my headlights and leave the DRLs and fog lights on, easy to make out as a car. But you will need to do the fog light mod for this. the same bulb is used for the plate light, and that one, oh boy, is very delicate, i HIGHLY recomend until it is very warm or hot, mine snapped like thin ice i ended up krazy-glueing it >.<

Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 AM
If you change that Side bulb to an LED do you get a fast blinking turn signal? I know you can get special fuses I just don't want to mess with it.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
HID Addict
its not garenteed, but its almost sure that it will happen. i dont think its special fuses that you need, its called a load equilizer, not sure where it goes, but thats what you need. but thats only for the turn signals, the brakes and reverse light is fine as it is, LED or not. im not sure qhich equilizer you need tho. can anyone shed some light here? i need to kno too :P

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

Last edited by Rubba Burna; 03-31-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah I should have said equalizer, I have had that discussion before. It will be cheaper to just replace it with a chrome bulb that lights amber. I just wasn't sure if it was tied into the turn signal (I guess I could have looked for myself) Thanks for a quick response.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
HID Addict
np, rep will be appreciated hehe hope you find what your looking for

Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
The equalizer is also known as just a resistor. a 6 ohm 50 watt if you're just replacing rear, or a 3 ohm for both front & back, another is needed for the other side. SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home has them. Or a cheap man's way is to splice the regular filament bulb in parallel to the LED lights so that they light up too, but you tuck them away inside so people don't see them. It acts as if the original bulbs are in the electrical system, LEDs draw so low power they don't noticeably affect the flashing rate in such a setup. Be careful that you need powerful LEDs, like the 3watt or 5 watt to get the same equivalent brightness as a 21W flasher or brake light. Otherwise people don't see them and you're not safe on the road. Also the resistor/equalizer/original bulb needs to be tucked in a place that can withstand heat because they get hot after a while of usage.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by whyzor
Yes, I would use fingers or something soft, pliers might break it. Just turn it counter-clockwise. Try the other side too, it may be easier and you'll know how it is supposed to feel when it comes off.

I got these 1 Watt high power amber LEDs for up front, angle is 120 deg and even brighter than original filament bulbs. Around $8 for pair with shipping off ebay. Search '194 amber led'. Superbrightleds has 1Watt similar ones, I wouldn't get the other kinds that don't say 'high power' or over 1 watt because they are not as bright and may be a safety problem at night when other cars can't see you until very close.

These ones really do work best. They are super low profile, and the output is unbelievable. 1 watt SMT leds. I have just about every color and was testing them in my accords projectors as running lights.

Rounded normal white LED

normal filament bulb hyperwhite

Blue SMT 1 watt

amber 1w SMT led

white 6000k smt 1w led

I am running All SMT 1w LED in my accord housings. They actually put out a ton of light at night just using the parking lamps. The running light/blinkers are Piaa hyperwhite(light blue tint looks white)

The amber SMTs are going in the fit parking lamps, and I have red ones in my accords doors so people can see when I open my door. I have a ton of others, and chip boards, but the wedge SMT LEDs are the best. I probably have tried almost every kind of LED over the years.

parking lights Video by Shaggs - MySpace Video

thats plate lites

This is just the parking lamps, not even the HIDs or high beams on, bright as shit, you really can't go wrong with SMTs(and they are small) They look really good in plate lights too.

daylight on the RR with HID cutoff turned off.

Don't waste your time on other LEDs, use the SMT 1W or better. I need to take new pics of the fit. Sorry for threadjack, just wanted to share all the colors and brightness, they are just good lights, and they don't burn out.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Nice comparison shots thanks.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:21 AM
Question

Originally Posted by mikejet
I thought they were just 194's?
I have a 2012 Fit and consider myself good at these sort of basic tasks, but I was also unable to remove the housing from the car to replace the bulb. Even the owners manual shows how to do it. Is there anything special to do before trying to turn it counter clockwise? I keep avoiding the 60 dollar cost the dealer wants to change it.

Update (Aug 11, 2022). - I tried removing the light housing again just using my hand and it safely came off quite easily. I guess the 4 other times I tried in the past must have loosened it up enough to make the last try easy.

Last edited by elr100; 08-10-2022 at 12:00 PM.