Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Everything you need to know about Retrofitting

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 PM
hey junkie...
the projectors off the integra really aren't a very good option. they're made for halogen so you'll have a lot of the light spilling to the front and foreground as opposed to the much wider and cleaner consistency of a HID projector. I'll have to say that it'll be much more difficult to install as well when compared to the complete mini morimoto D2S kit from TRS since you'll likely need to hack up your housings and will be using bondo/putty to secure the projectors. I'll be completing my D2S retro this week. I'm really happy with the output. like many others before me have said, the hardest part of the retro is opening up the housings. after that step, it's cake. go to HID planet forums and see how easy it is to install the morimoto kit and you'll probably be sold. good luck!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
hey junkie...
the projectors off the integra really aren't a very good option. they're made for halogen so you'll have a lot of the light spilling to the front and foreground as opposed to the much wider and cleaner consistency of a HID projector. I'll have to say that it'll be much more difficult to install as well when compared to the complete mini morimoto D2S kit from TRS since you'll likely need to hack up your housings and will be using bondo/putty to secure the projectors. I'll be completing my D2S retro this week. I'm really happy with the output. like many others before me have said, the hardest part of the retro is opening up the housings. after that step, it's cake. go to HID planet forums and see how easy it is to install the morimoto kit and you'll probably be sold. good luck!
Yea I figured it wasn't gonna work as easy as getting the kit! But imma have to keep doing homework , imma have to check the other forum! But thanks for the advice and can't wait to see IRS once it's done! Don't forget to post pics !

Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 PM
all i have to do now is seal them back up...the only reason i've been lagging is that i can't make up my mind about painting the bezels satin black or just leaving them chrome. i like both looks.

here's a phone shot of the cutoff @ 25 ft. pretty clean and nice color in the cutoff without doing any spacing mods.

morimoto mini D2S cutoff by nes☆, on Flickr

Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
^^ nice ! I'm planning to keep mine the way they are !!! I would paint it black only if my car was black or red but on ssm I like the chrome to it

Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM
why type of harness am I suppose to pick(the size) on TRS.com?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by MTHuynh23
why type of harness am I suppose to pick(the size) on TRS.com?
if you're ordering the mini D2S, get the H4 harness.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
which shrouds u guys recommend?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM
i copied INTURBOS style. i liked the way the apollo shroud "floated" in the GE reflector and it did not require hacking to fit in.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
reading about retrofits has peeked my interests in attempting it myself. some noob questions.
is the relay model for the wire harness always H4 or is it dependant on another component? i'm thinking about getting the fx-r stage iv kit from TRS.
are projectors adjusted by playing around with the mounting screws or is there some type of internal adjustment on the actual projector?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
i copied INTURBOS style. i liked the way the apollo shroud "floated" in the GE reflector and it did not require hacking to fit in.
SO DID U EVER GET FINAL PICS OF THE INSTALL ON THE CAR? I WANNA SEE THE DS2 ON THE FIT.. AS MUCH AS I WOULD WANT THE FXR STAGE 4 , THE SIMPLICITY OF THE MINI MOTO DS2 ARE DRAWING MY ATTENTION

Old 06-17-2011, 11:52 PM
here's a quick one.

mini D2S front end by nes☆, on Flickr

Old 06-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by jdong23
reading about retrofits has peeked my interests in attempting it myself. some noob questions.
is the relay model for the wire harness always H4 or is it dependant on another component? i'm thinking about getting the fx-r stage iv kit from TRS.
are projectors adjusted by playing around with the mounting screws or is there some type of internal adjustment on the actual projector?
for our cars, we use an H4 relay since that is our stock bulb size.

the FX-R kit is pretty darn nice. installing that into our housing will require some cutting and the adjustments are going to be much more difficult than that of the mini H1 and mini D2S kit. check out HIDplanet for installation procedures if you're planning to do the FX-R retro. i've seen many creative ways that folks are using.

if you're installing the mini kit, you won't need to cut the housing at all. the projector's rear end is mounted right where our stock bulb is installed.

the best advice i can give you is that you should just keep reading about the installs and each projector's qualities on HIDplanet. take your time and plan for the unplanned.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
here's a quick one.

mini D2S front end by nes☆, on Flickr
Love ate first sight ! !. I need a spare set of headlight !!!!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
for our cars, we use an H4 relay since that is our stock bulb size.

the FX-R kit is pretty darn nice. installing that into our housing will require some cutting and the adjustments are going to be much more difficult than that of the mini H1 and mini D2S kit. check out HIDplanet for installation procedures if you're planning to do the FX-R retro. i've seen many creative ways that folks are using.

if you're installing the mini kit, you won't need to cut the housing at all. the projector's rear end is mounted right where our stock bulb is installed.

the best advice i can give you is that you should just keep reading about the installs and each projector's qualities on HIDplanet. take your time and plan for the unplanned.
So pretty much the difference between the fxr and the d2s is the size of the projector and coverage area of light?

Old 06-19-2011, 02:43 AM
the FX-R has a wider beam, a more colorful cutoff, more intensity and less foreground light.

the mD2S isn't as wide but has a pretty even spread. i noticed that the color band on mine got a lot thinner and sharper once i put on the lens to the headlight housing. also, if i had to do it over again, i'd have fabricated a shield to eliminate some of the bright foreground that the mD2S has.

they're minor complaints and i still absolutely love how these projectors light up the road when price and ease of installation are taken into account.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
thanks NPH, after doing some more research, I think the mini D2S is more likely what I would go with. Ease of install is a big plus and after seeing comparo pics with the FX-R, doesn't seem too lacking.

Anyone in Toronto with these installed? I would love to check them out in person!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:59 AM
can someone post the prices of each of the materials? im kinda curious that's why. thanks in advance

Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM
for most of us, we just got our stuff here. plenty of pictures there. and you can pick up aftermarket housings (i like TYC or depo) on amazon for a fraction of the price of OEM headlights.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Question

for most of us, we just got our stuff here. plenty of pictures there. and you can pick up aftermarket housings (i like TYC or depo) on amazon for a fraction of the price of OEM headlights.
Can you post a link to the housing on Amazon ?
Thank you

Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by MOTOMATT
Can you post a link to the housing on Amazon ?
Thank you
these are the exact ones i bought for my next project. it's greyed out like the base headlights so don't let the pictures fool you into thinking they're bluish. it's pretty good quality. i just searched for "TYC honda fit headlight 2009". so you can look for something similar.

Quick Reply: Everything you need to know about Retrofitting