Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

quick question on HIDS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
quick question on HIDS!

okay so im trying to do a search but im not having any luck, i just have one quick question. im buying my HID kits from

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

and im wondering if ge8s need the hid harness or the error code eliminator

thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
You definitely don't need the error code eliminator, the Fit doesn't have such system to begin with.

The wiring harness... I'm not really sure, but after using a HID kit in the Pathfinder, I would use the harness.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
I think the HID kit that you looked at has only low beam. It means that you lose high beam and DRL. If I were you, I would but Bi-Xenon kit with controller/harness. So your car will still have both low and high beams.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
hmmm i believe they also have the h4 hi/lo for additional 20 dollars, would that be comparable to the bi-xenon?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
There are 3 types of 9003/HB3/H4 HID kit.
1. HID - low beam only.
2. Hi/Lo HID - HID - low beams, halogen - high beams/DRL.
3. Bi-Xenon - HID both low and high beams.

I am not sure about H4 hi/lo kit that you mention.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
There are 3 types of 9003/HB3/H4 HID kit.
1. HID - low beam only.
2. Hi/Lo HID - HID - low beams, halogen - high beams/DRL.
3. Bi-Xenon - HID both low and high beams.

I am not sure about H4 hi/lo kit that you mention.
IMO - Bi-Xenon is the BEST way to go. Don't waste money on the Low Only or Hi/Lo kits (means Halogen Hi/Xenon Lo - the low is brighter than the Halogen in most cases, waste of money)

BUT - I still think it's best to retrofit true projectors into the housings for the best, legal-ish, safest HID.

Next best thing is Bi-Xenon kits - don't waste money on anything less. Just my .02

Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phuccer
hmmm i believe they also have the h4 hi/lo for additional 20 dollars, would that be comparable to the bi-xenon?

Didn't see this question, but Nope. No comparison!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM
thank you everyone for the help, if i decide to go with bixenons, do i have to retrofit? or can i just throw the bulbs in there?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phuccer
thank you everyone for the help, if i decide to go with bixenons, do i have to retrofit? or can i just throw the bulbs in there?
No, you don't have to retrofit your headlights. It is PnP kit. Just make sure that you get hi/lo controller/harness.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
thanks for the help! but i did go around searching on retrofitting, and i wouldnt mind doing a retrofit and painting the housings black =X

Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Keep in mind that retrofit the headlights will cost you around $1,000. Additional, you will not have headlights on your car for a week (I guess but depend on the installer. It might take longer if you have ro ship). If you can live with it, it is the way to go. However, it is still illegal since you modify the headlights. Just my IHMO.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM
woww, i had no idea retrofitting would cost so much x.x i might have to hold off on that and just go with the bixenon hids for now then lol

Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM
thanks for everybodys help btw!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not against PnP kits, in fact, I was using it for a while on the Pathfinder.

But the thing is, unlike some drivers out there, I MAKE it a point to get the right bulb, have a shield if needed and re-adjust the aim.

I went through 3 PnP kits (I burn out bulbs way too fast). My first two kits provided a very sharp cut off. They were positioned so that the light pattern was the same as with halogens.

Unfortunately, my 3rd kit wasn't so sharp. The problem laid with the shield. It didn't completely block the light when it was in low beam position, so there was light bouncing off the bottom of the reflector (the bottom is used in high beam). I pushed the aim down to minimize the effect it had on oncoming cars. Even with the aim down, it still lit up the place better than halogens (for me anyway).

I also HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE those HID low, halogen high combos... the way it is set up, NEITHER bulb seem to project a pattern similar to halogen (or HIDs)... every single output pic I've seen, no sharp cutoff (means too much light into oncoming driver's eyes). In fact, I think these are the ones that some folks use as a reason not to use PnP.

So please, re-adjust the aim so the cutoff gradually goes down. And if it doesn't produce a clean cut off, push the aim down until there's little to no light hitting oncoming cars. Modify the shield if needed... or just get a kit from somewhere else.

They vary from seller to seller, brand to brand.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
I have not had any issues with PnP HID headlights kits yet. I have been using them for the last 6 years in my car/truck. I did replace my HID fog light bulbs twice due to water.

There are a couple Bi-Xenon kits that come with sheild. Additional, you can adjust beam pattern as well. Some PnP Bi-Xenon kit uses sliding mechanism to change between hi and lo while other uses tilt the bulbs. You have to shop around which one you like.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 PM
oooo okay thanks a lot! ill shop around to see what i can find are there any issues i should know about regarding the drl when i install my hids?

Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
It depends upon what HID kit you get.

My HID kit is Bi-Xenon 9003/HB2 kit. It came with Hi/Lo controller/harness. It gets power directly from the battery. The controller/harness connects to driver's side harness. This configuration causes DRL on the dash to turn on since there is nothing connect to passenger headlight harness. So the car computer will diagnose as fault circuit. It is the same result if one of headlight bulbs burns out.

My resolution is to connect LED as to the passenger's side headlight harness. So the LED will light up as DRL. The same time, headlights will always stay on as DRL since the high beam on the driver side trigger the HID controller. However, the headlight DRL will always be low beam.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
It depends upon what HID kit you get.

My HID kit is Bi-Xenon 9003/HB2 kit. It came with Hi/Lo controller/harness. It gets power directly from the battery. The controller/harness connects to driver's side harness. This configuration causes DRL on the dash to turn on since there is nothing connect to passenger headlight harness. So the car computer will diagnose as fault circuit. It is the same result if one of headlight bulbs burns out.

My resolution is to connect LED as to the passenger's side headlight harness. So the LED will light up as DRL. The same time, headlights will always stay on as DRL since the high beam on the driver side trigger the HID controller. However, the headlight DRL will always be low beam.
The alternative is to do what others have mentioned... pull out fuse #15 and forget about DRL.