Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

halogen Hi beam from HID conversion kit issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
halogen Hi beam from HID conversion kit issues

my HID kit came with a halogen high beam on the h4 base, and the halogen came with 2 wires sticking out (i checked if they were working, they were, and to my suprise, there's not polarity... i put a 12VDC power source to it from both sides)

i'm not familiar with car electronics but i am with another type of 12VDC application, alarms. that aside..

i figured the middle terminal at the h4 plug is the "ground", negative, and the one to the side that's not used by the HID is the positve, so i spliced the positive to one end of the halogen and the other to the negative with a tap-in connector

only did this on the passenger side of my fit and tried the high beam on... both sides of my freakin HID flashes(!) and the halogen doesn't light up...

after sleeping over thinking the problem maybe both the HID and halogen are trying to draw current? i don't have the 07 USDM Fit service manual and i don't have knowledge and simply guessing from my electronic knowledge .... hope someone can provide me with a solution to get both working, or provide answer to this,

when you turn on hi beam, is both positives on the h4 drawing current?

if not, do both hi beam and low beam draw current from the same circuit sharing the same fuse? (i found in the fuse box near the driver side a 20A fuse for the "Left Headligh" and another 20A for the right)

i *could* run a new wire directly to the battery and put a fuse inline with it but i have never run wires in a car before, and don't want to start (i'm good with running wires in houses tho), what is the *proper* way to get both the HID and halgoen hi beam working?

Canadian daytime running lights are not recoverable in this situation eh? heard its a reduced voltage high/low beam? if there is a solution to get that working too, it would be ideal.

thank you fit freaks for any input!

Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Dual filment bulbs by default do not light up both the low and high filments but turns off the low beam filment when the high beam is activated. This is to prevent overheating because if both 60w and 55w filments are burning at the same time, the bulb won't last long, and the base or your wires (or worse, your plastic headlamp housing and/or lenses) might start to melt.

However, is that in the bulb's circuit, or the car's curcuit, I dunno. Easy way to figure it out is to use a tester to probe the H4 harness to see if the low beam prong (well, would be the harness female side, you know what I mean) gets power still when you flick to high beam.

Does your low beam HID work properly? If not maybe it's using the wrong prong from the H4 harness. Otherwise, my first guess for your situation though is that because you're sharing a ground right now, maybe the current for the high beam is going back through the low beam HID and not really grounding properly. Try to ground the high beams separately from the HIDs and see if that works.

As for the DRL. I believe the DRL runs the H4's high beam filment. So if you've got a halogen high beam in your hi/lo HID bulb, then you might be able to retain DRL function. Of course, with these type of hi/lo HID kits, the high beam is NO WHERE NEAR where the light source is suppose to be, and your light dispersion pattern for the high beam/DRL will be absolutely terrible.

Anyways, I'd try isolating the low beam and high beam curcuits first.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member

xetronic hight/low (8000k)

Last edited by guailifit; 01-15-2007 at 12:42 AM.