Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Day-time Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Daytime running lights mod to US Fit -- Is it possible??

Just got my US Fit Sport a couple of days ago (yeah!). Amazing for a guy but I actually read the owners manual :-) When I went through it, it mentions that the Canadian model has Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and it references the use of the high-beams(?) to support this feature. Can any of my northern neighbors give me a run down on how your DRLs work? Anyone have a guess as to whether the US Fit can be modded to work the same? My last car (Saturn) had DRLs and I was wondering whether this would be a simple mod.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:26 PM
If it is like the S2000 it isn't particularly hard or easy, but does involve some electronic skills and finding some relays. I will have to see if I can find the post for the S2000 converion, as I too would like running lights.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I'm sure that there is some sort of relay that could be added custom style to aquire this goal...

Old 04-27-2006, 12:19 AM
are you looking for something like this?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...romSearch=true

Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
i dont want DRL's, they really dont serve any purpose other than making bikes even less visible, but what i DO want is a way to turn the fogs on without having to turn the headlights on. that and not having the headlights turn OFF when i flash the brights.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I was just wondering how much existing support was already under the hood on the US model in terms of harness, un-installed modules/relays, etc. I tracked down niugnip's S2000 conversion and it looks like a pretty good match overall... but I haven't spent any time checking out how close the Fit harness/connectors are to the S2000. Most of the after-market DRL add-ons that I have come across offer minimal functionality and are a bit kludgy (IMHO) compared to the OEM approach.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
yeah I wouldnt mind that mod or atleast using the foglights as the DRLs.. that would look awesome i think..

Old 04-27-2006, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Please do some careful research when trying to fit a Canadian DRL module in an American model. We tried that with our Mazda to find out the wiring harnesses are different between countries. Another option is the illuminated turn signal option like: http://www.daytime-running-lights.co...=0&prodstart=0 or this: http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Old 04-28-2006, 02:47 PM
DRL are the highs running at 40% aprox. power. The days run when you start the car, but start the car with the hand brake on and the lights will stay off till you release the hand brake. after that if you pull the hand brake the DRL stay on. That's on the manual, iunno about the auto.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
US Fits don't have DRLs... At least I know mine doesn't.

Originally Posted by Daņiel
DRL are the highs running at 40% aprox. power. The days run when you start the car, but start the car with the hand brake on and the lights will stay off till you release the hand brake. after that if you pull the hand brake the DRL stay on. That's on the manual, iunno about the auto.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
More like 70% of power. Funny, us Canadians rip it out to look like the Americans!

I did the fog light modification on my Integra, was a joke. I'll be doing it on my Fit once I get it. I had wired it to work when ever the parking lights were on.

Unfortunately the JDM service manual is useless. Looks like their fogs are switched with the ignition.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by fshwcrs
but what i DO want is a way to turn the fogs on without having to turn the headlights on. that and not having the headlights turn OFF when i flash the brights.
that's exactly what i want. anyway someone can try making it so that the fogs can come on with just the parking lights? or just by themselves?

Old 05-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
anyone got the Fit service manual (helms)? i can figure out how to do it if i can get a copy.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Old 05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
US Fit owners: I took the underdash fuse cover off just to look at it. I noticed two empty fuse holders labeled Day(xxA) where xx=fuse size in amps. I did not dig any deeper into DRL but I thought that the lack of fuses was interesting. Adding the fuses should not hurt anything if the relay(s) is(are) not there to make DRL work so it would be a good experiment. I am fairly certain that the wiring for DRL is in place! I did not look closely at any relays or notice any empty relay sockets under the dash but I will look again and under the hood and report back.

Regards!

Old 05-09-2006, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by madsci777
US Fit owners: I took the underdash fuse cover off just to look at it. I noticed two empty fuse holders labeled Day(xxA) where xx=fuse size in amps. I did not dig any deeper into DRL but I thought that the lack of fuses was interesting. Adding the fuses should not hurt anything if the relay(s) is(are) not there to make DRL work so it would be a good experiment. I am fairly certain that the wiring for DRL is in place! I did not look closely at any relays or notice any empty relay sockets under the dash but I will look again and under the hood and report back.

Regards!
Good find! It would be great to not have to go aftermarket for DRLs!

Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I ordered the Fit Service manual from Helms today, won't be long I'll be able to plan my wiring modifications! hehehehe

Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by fshwcrs
that and not having the headlights turn OFF when i flash the brights.
I find that if you pull the highbeam lever just until the highs come on and then stop, then all the lights will be on. Once the lever clicks the other bulb goes out.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:34 PM
DRL are worth it just for the safety.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
do you think if you put a fuse in the DRL spot in the fuse box something will happen?!

Quick Reply: Day-time Running Lights?