Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Recommendations for good headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
How quickly we all get off track...

Philips by far puts out the best quality and indeed at an excellent price point. They'll outlast PIAA and Sylvania depending on usage habits of course and are cheaper, but you still do get what you pay for.

I experimented with generic high wattage, generic standard wattage, and the name brand ones over the years - everything from PIAA, Hella, Sylvania, all the smaller companies making the cheesy blue tint HID look (like Pilot) and I've gone through a couple HID setups and the Sylvania are the best for the money in almost every way - except they are pretty much order online only around here (Maine). So, you almost have to order 2 sets at a time so there's zero lag in the event one burns out (as mentioned before, unfortunately cold weather and climate will have an affect along with how frequently you use them - I run my bulbs all day every day and night for maximum safety personally)

So, lets put the Consumer Reports Bickering to rest or start another thread for that, shall we?

Moderator Note: off topic on Consumer Reports postings moved to https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-...ht-thread.html (sam)

Last edited by sam; 02-06-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: updating posting with location of requested off-topic thread
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM
"Philips by far puts out the best quality and indeed at an excellent price point. They'll outlast PIAA and Sylvania depending on usage habits of course and are cheaper, but you still do get what you pay for."

Yup. And, they are brighter than PIAA and Sylvania.

The Osram Rallyes are a 75/70 watt bulb and are a step brighter than the 60/55 watt bulbs but not enough to overload the stock wiring or require additional relays.

John

Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I got the Phillips Xtreme Power, and they are much better than stock on my GE8.

And the reviews on them are very good compared to Sylvaina Silvercraps

Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 PM
"slightly" illegal

Originally Posted by gym
Read this Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply and I recommend these bulbs phillips xp 80, They rock
That article IS very informative but if you talk or e-mail with daniel stern his favorite H4 bulb (bang per $) is the Osram rallye 70/65 watt. It's slightly brighter than legal but not so bright as to arouse too many cops.

Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
The Xtreme Power bulbs are a very nice bulb. We used them with good results.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
I've seen Hella's at PepBoys, those are supposed to be a good brand for sure
I've heard the Hella's actually have a bad reputation, some people even claimed for their bulbs to go out after 5-6 months...Of course there aren't going to be any white-temperatured bulbs that outlive the factory bulbs (not that I've seen?) but Hella's were criticized pretty bad...I am waiting on mine to get here actually, PIAA Intense White and I see some people on here like those too...