Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Recommendations for good headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Recommendations for good headlight bulbs?

Hi guys. So I'll be dropping by the local autozone after work to get some replacement bulbs for my head lights. I've always used Silverstar Ultras. I'm happy with color and brightness, but I've had it up to here with the life of those bulbs. They don't even last a year, 8 months at best. Any recommendations for bright, long lasting bulbs? I don't think I'll ever be going the HID route either. If nothings good, I'll probably go back to the factory bulbs. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
I too have Silverstar Ultras, and my first set did'nt last me long either but my new ones seem too be holding well so far ... I've heard great things about PIAA's intensive white... but i don't know if they really last longer... I think one of the main reasons why my new set lasts longer, is because i wait to put them on till the lack of street lighting justifies it (i only light the rear ones), as most of the time i drive on very well lit streets, it does'nt change anything on what i can see... of course, security is a priority, so as soon as it's darker i turn them on... perhaps that letting them warm up helps...

Last edited by cr4zy3lgato; 10-21-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
I too have Silverstar Ultras, and my first set did'nt last me long either but my new ones seem too be holding well so far ... I've heard great things about PIAA's intensive white... but i don't know if they really last longer... I think one of the main reasons why my new set lasts longer, is because i wait to put them on till the lack of street lighting justifies it (i only light the rear ones), as most of the time i drive on very well lit streets, it does'nt change anything on what i can see... of course, security is a priority, so as soon as it's darker i turn them on... perhaps that letting them warm up helps...
ah i see. Cool, thanks. yeah I was looking at PIAA ones online too. I have piaa fogs and they're great. Hopefully the piaa bulbs last a bit longer. I'll see what I can find off the shelf =]

Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Get theses. They're bright cool white, not the cheap blue. These actually enhance night driving.

Philips Crystal Vision Xenon LOOK White H4 Bulbs - eBay (item 330448455227 end time Oct-31-10 18:12:02 PDT)

Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 PM
gym
Read this Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply and I recommend these bulbs phillips xp 80, They rock

Old 10-30-2010, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
If I get any of the above bulb - do I need to disable DRL?

This would fix GE8 (mine is 2009), right?

Thanks again buddy!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
@ hkfooey: I honestly don't have a clue if your DRL will effect the life any of these bulbs, sorry.

@ AnlDyxp GD3 and anyone else interested: I highly recommend PIAA's Intense White light bulbs. I've had my pair since the beginning of September of 2009 and haven't had an ounce of trouble from traffic being blinded (lights in factory position) unless I forget to turnoff the high beams. Everything is lit up crisply and clearly; also, they do not have an annoying glare that of a plug and play HID kit without a Xenon lens. I even talked my aunt into getting a pair in her 2010 Ridgeline and she loves them.

Here are a few pics of what they look like when lit.

Name:  PHTO0061-1.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  172.9 KB

Cell quality pics...

Name:  DSC00025.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  DSC00024.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  DSC00022.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  36.2 KB

The final picture is a bit blurry I'll admit, but you can get the point. All the reflectors, stripes on the road, and signs are clearly illuminated along with forward and the width (lighting left to right) of illumination has increased. All of the images above were taken with on low beam by the way, hit high beam and it'll surprise you.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
@ hkfooey : i would'nt mess with DRL... these bulbs are most affected by big temparature differences... (they don't last as long in winter) but i found that if you let them warm up a little, (1 turn of the knob activates rear lights only, and then 2 turns lights everything) it makes a world of difference... so i always go gradually like this to let them warm up, (see my post above! The reason why you need to do this with these lights is that they run hotter than OEM, thus the better lighting!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys for the info. Since I live in California - cold is not an issue (at least compare to Quebec). I was reading through the forum - some state that DRL should be disable, some said no need.

6 or 1/2 dozen.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
great! Thank you guys. Yes I was thinking of getting the PIAA bulbs, but they did not have them at the local kragen or autozone. So I just went with a replacement silverstar ultra since I didn't want to drive w/o a head light for another week. But I will order a set online and have them ready for next time.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
please dont get an hid kit if you arent doing a retrofit

Old 10-30-2010, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Well I too have a set of PIAA intense white. They are the greatest. They have a warranty on them. I've had a pair go out on me in 8 months and i took it back to the place where i bought them from. They sent it back to PIAA and PIAA sent me a brand new set for free. It took 2 weeks but man it was worth it. Ive stuck with PIAA since then.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
please dont get an hid kit if you arent doing a retrofit
Yeah. For me, HID's are a pain in the ass. I don't plan to ever get a set. I'm done dumping money in to this car anyhow. lol

Originally Posted by taFITta_sport
Well I too have a set of PIAA intense white. They are the greatest. They have a warranty on them. I've had a pair go out on me in 8 months and i took it back to the place where i bought them from. They sent it back to PIAA and PIAA sent me a brand new set for free. It took 2 weeks but man it was worth it. Ive stuck with PIAA since then.
great! Thanks. Yes longevity is very important to me.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Lightbulb

I've seen Hella's at PepBoys, those are supposed to be a good brand for sure

Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
save your money and get philips x-treme. google piaa and then google philips xtreme.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM
gym
My phill xp80's were cheaper then the silverstars and piaas. I would put $$$ on them not only being brighter, but having a better beam pattern... To each his own though...

Old 11-03-2010, 09:04 AM
here's my phillips xtreme power on my FIT. phillips xtreme has non of the blue tint crap on the bulb which robs light intensity through filtering.

I have both and philips gives more intense white... no bluish fake hid look:
Interesting Read: Osram Nightbreaker vs Phillips Xtreme Power and Light Output - Honda-Tech

*sorry for the crappy blackberry pics... but you get the picture <3

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 11-03-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

These photos are from your BB? It looks really good bro! What model is that??

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE

*sorry for the crappy blackberry pics... but you get the picture <3

Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM
^^ 9700

did it on my iphone first but it looked like crap

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Aftermarket Bulbs Not Recommended

Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
Hi guys. So I'll be dropping by the local autozone after work to get some replacement bulbs for my head lights. I've always used Silverstar Ultras. I'm happy with color and brightness, but I've had it up to here with the life of those bulbs. They don't even last a year, 8 months at best. Any recommendations for bright, long lasting bulbs? I don't think I'll ever be going the HID route either. If nothings good, I'll probably go back to the factory bulbs. Thanks!
According to a review of after market headlight bulbs by Consumer Reports:
"Our tests showed that while they do yield whiter-looking light, premium aftermarket halogen bulbs don’t offer a consistent performance advantage over original equipment bulbs, and they can perform worse. Much of a headlight’s distribution of light is dictated by its reflector and lens, factors that remain unaffected by changing the bulb. And the combination of higher cost and some manufacturer specifications of a shorter life span than standard replacement bulbs add up to increased costs."

Link to Consumer Reports forum thread about after market bulbs: Maintenance & repair

Moderator Note: Moved off-topic discussion of Consumer Reports to https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-...ht-thread.html (sam)

Last edited by sam; 02-06-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Pointing out where off-topic postings went

Quick Reply: Recommendations for good headlight bulbs?