Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

need help: side mirror LED parking light - turn blinker combination

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
need help: side mirror LED parking light - turn blinker combination

Hey all,

My most recent mod tried to combine my aftermarket wing mirror turn blinkers with the parking lights, in effect making them an extra set of sidemarkers. It was mostly successful, except when I switch on a turn signal while the parking lights are also on, the mirror LED on the opposite side also blinks (far more dimly, but it is noticeable). I'm pretty sure that it is due to some slight change in the parking light voltage when the blinkers turn on (LEDs are pretty sensitive to voltage changes).

So far I've tried to correct it with a voltage regulator from Radio Shack, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. This is what I'm talking about:
Name:  flip619sidemirrorparking-turnsignalregulator.png
Views: 272
Size:  7.1 KB

The alternate solution I've come up with is a set of SPDT relays to switch between sources:
Name:  flip619sidemirrorparking-turnsignalrelay.png
Views: 274
Size:  6.7 KB
But here's the issue: the ones I have ready access to have a rated life of 100,000 cycles, so divide that by an average of 20 blinks per turn/lane switch, that comes out to 5,000 turns on each side. I'm pretty sure my Fit will last longer than that. That and relays are noisy and may have disconnection issues (solders/crimps coming loose) along the way.

I personally don't want to have to rely on something mechanical to solve a simple electrical issue like this. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to keep the parking light voltage steady? A better type of regulator or relay perhaps?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
Did you change the bulb and socket to a two element? If not then I doubt it is going to work.

This reminds me of a problem I had way back in the 60s. I had an Austin 1100 and was trying to wire trailer lights. The Austin had two element brake and tail bulb and a separate single for signal light. The trailer only had a twin element bulb.

I went round and round trying to get everything to work. I would either have one signal and one tail and vice versa until it dawn on me. I added two small lights to act as signal lights and I was all set.

So I think you are somehow messing up and wiring two separate circuits together causing the problem when both are on. You will need to replace the bulbs and sockets I suspect.

Hope this helps some. I am no electrician.

bill

ps I just have the winkers YouTube - 001.MOV

Old 03-18-2011, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same type as yours, which don't have replaceable bulbs and sockets. That solution would require having to insert an extra set of LEDs into the mirror housing somehow and waterproof it.

I'm still thinking that it's some phantom voltage from the car's internal wiring (induced perhaps) that leaks into the parking lights when the blinkers come on, because I know all the diodes are working. I was wondering if anyone can come up with a simple solution to maintain a constant voltage between the tap and the resistor.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by flip619
I have the same type as yours, which don't have replaceable bulbs and sockets. That solution would require having to insert an extra set of LEDs into the mirror housing somehow and waterproof it.

I'm still thinking that it's some phantom voltage from the car's internal wiring (induced perhaps) that leaks into the parking lights when the blinkers come on, because I know all the diodes are working. I was wondering if anyone can come up with a simple solution to maintain a constant voltage between the tap and the resistor.
Oops. I was referring to parking lights needing to have a dual bulb not the winker. The way you have it now when the signal one comes on and parking is on you are in effect connecting two circuits together. It just won't work.