Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Just got my GE8, question about aftermarket headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Just got my GE8, question about aftermarket headlights

Hi,

Just got my new GE8 TW. One thing I dont like is the headlights.
I've found this:
09 10 HONDA FIT 2X HALO LED PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS BLACK | eBay
and this:
HONDA FIT JAZZ RIGHT LEFT HEADLIGHT HEADLAMP LED 09 10

any comments about those?

Thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schan
Hi,

I've found this:
and this:

Thanks
I like the second one better. Just because I hate when cars are trying to look like other cars. I'd actually get the second one if I knew they fit correctly and work well. I don't like the blister on the stock headlight and that one appears to have removed it.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Damn I love the second one, but I don't know whether I would trust putting them on my car. :/

Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clownassasin
Damn I love the second one, but I don't know whether I would trust putting them on my car. :/
I feeling the same way. And I'm getting ready to do a retrofit so I'm either gonna stick with what I got or go to something like that.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schan
Hi,

I've found this:
and this:

Thanks
the first ones are a little bit similar to what I have... but the one I have doesn't fully fit. I think what I got has mount locations for EUDM/JDM with their shorter nose.

And that's the worry about the second one. you notice the pictures avoid showing the bumper. and the bumper is quite different for USDM vs EUDM/JDM. so, it could very well run into the same problem.

I like the second one too, more so if it were in a gray or dark gray color scheme.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
the first ones are a little bit similar to what I have... but the one I have doesn't fully fit. I think what I got has mount locations for EUDM/JDM with their shorter nose.

And that's the worry about the second one. you notice the pictures avoid showing the bumper. and the bumper is quite different for USDM vs EUDM/JDM. so, it could very well run into the same problem.

I like the second one too, more so if it were in a gray or dark gray color scheme.

I was just about to suggest someone ask you . That's my main worry though. If it was only like $50 or so I'd take the risk but thats almost as much as my retrofit is going to cost..

Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
I was just about to suggest someone ask you . That's my main worry though. If it was only like $50 or so I'd take the risk but thats almost as much as my retrofit is going to cost..
If I hadn't already gotten the ones I have now, I'd get that second one in a heartbeat... exact fit or no.

I mean, even if the mounting issue is the same, I'd take it. But since I already paid $250+ for the ones I have, I don't feel like paying for another set (unless something breaks it while I'm driving).

Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
If I hadn't already gotten the ones I have now, I'd get that second one in a heartbeat... exact fit or no.

I mean, even if the mounting issue is the same, I'd take it. But since I already paid $250+ for the ones I have, I don't feel like paying for another set (unless something breaks it while I'm driving).
How badly would it be to get the JDM to fit the USDM bumper?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
How badly would it be to get the JDM to fit the USDM bumper?
Well, I don't know for certain that my headlights are JDM (since I haven't gotten my hands on something that is officially JDM)... I'm only assuming it is, because it isn't matching the OE USDM lights.

That being said, if it is JDM... the issues are the two upper mounts (there are four mounts total) and to some degree, the room behind the housing.

Upper mount #1
The top rearward mount is too short on the headlight to reach the mounting location. I used a solid strand wire to attach them together.

Upper mount #2
The frontward mount isn't lined up with the location and you have to carve a little out of the plastic because it's hitting the car's frame (i'm thinking about cutting the whole mount out). That mount is also where the upper mounts for the bumper go, so... my bumper isn't fully mounted because of it.

Room issue.
The actual problem is... the OE housing only had one reflector bowl, so it didn't need to take up much room. The aftermarket housing now has two smaller bowls. The back of the housing below the high beam bowl is pushing on a tiny little corner of the car's frame. If you grind off about 2 millimeters of the steel at that spot, they wouldn't contact anymore. I didn't grind it, and my headlights look like they fit, right? So I consider this a somewhat smaller issue than the mounts.

In summary, this is how it would go:
Take bumper off.
Take headlight off.
Put the aftermarket headlight using the two lower mounts and "wire tying" the back upper mount.
Put bumper back on (leaving the two upper mounts at the grille loose, or zip tie it).

Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks Goober. I checked out your installation post.
So it seems its "possible" even though the headlight is for JDM, just "work" is needed...

Deciding.. most likely i will give it a shot. Cuz honestly, I hate the OEM headlights right now.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM
...or for the same amount of money and a little more work, you can have yourself a proper HID projector.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
...or for the same amount of money and a little more work, you can have yourself a proper HID projector.
Idk about everyone else but my idea was to retrofit the new housing since it would look better...

Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Idk about everyone else but my idea was to retrofit the new housing since it would look better...
did you mean using the current projectors in the aftermarket lights along with a PnP HID kit? it will most certainly give a cleaner cutoff than HID in halogen reflectors but it will still be far away when it comes to output and clean cutoff compared to a proper projector retrofit.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
did you mean using the current projectors in the aftermarket lights along with a PnP HID kit? it will most certainly give a cleaner cutoff than HID in halogen reflectors but it will still be far away when it comes to output and clean cutoff compared to a proper projector retrofit.
I was talking about pulling everything in that housing out and just using the housing to put my own FX-R retrofit in. No PNP HID kits at all.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 AM
I think that would be great. it might be a bit easier as well if the projector mounting points are in a similar location. would love to see the results if you do this.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
I think that would be great. it might be a bit easier as well if the projector mounting points are in a similar location. would love to see the results if you do this.
I would love to do it. And I think it would look much better than stock. I'm just worried about them not fitting right. I know Goobers is saying that it's not that hard to make it work, but I'm big on precision. Almost to an OCD standard, must be the German blood. If it doesn't look just right then I cant have it. Even if I cant see it not fitting right all the time, it will still bug me because I know about it.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
i see a projector, and 2 other reflector housings. i'm just going to assume one is for the turnsignal. is the other high beam? does that mean you have to rewire your headlight wires then?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EvoFit
i see a projector, and 2 other reflector housings. i'm just going to assume one is for the turnsignal. is the other high beam? does that mean you have to rewire your headlight wires then?
Yes, the other is high beam.

As is, my housing came with the additional wiring that split the H4 to two H1s.

But if you do the retrofit, you might have to do some re-wiring. That can go many different ways, depending on the retrofit.

HID in the low beam housing won't require additional wiring (beyond what they give you) if you stick to single beam. True for the high beam housing too, if you stick to single high beam there.

If you retrofit BOTH low and high to bi-xenon. Basically, have both do low and high beams, then you will toss aside the wiring that came with the housing and make one Y - H4 adapter if you're using relays... Or two Y adapters for those that aren't using relays.

Now, it gets complicated if you are converting only the low OR high to bi-xenon. Then the Y adapters need to be from a single H4 to H4+H1, again only one adapter if using a relay, two, if not.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM
i was using the second ones linked for 2 weeks while i was working on retrofitting my stock headlights. they're for sale now.

some thoughts...
1. the fitment wasn't as bad as i thought they would be. the top tabs definitely don't line up w/ the mounting point on the top of the fender. i used zipties to secure it and for the most part, they did not budge.
2. it was my first time firing up the LEDs and angel eyes just for the ad i posted. man, are they bright! i'd say they're close to the brightness of audi LEDs.
3. the plastic used for the rear of the housing is definitely a bit more brittle and not as flexible as our OEM lights.
4. the hole to fit our stock turn signals is too small for the "head" of our stock turn bulb. you'll need to find a bulb that fits into the hole.

i cannot comment on the output since they were used for just the last 2 weeks and the sun goes down quite late these days. i probably turned the lows on for a total of 20 minutes and that was during dusk so it was not dark enough to judge the output.

there is a sticker on the housing itself that states that it is not to be used w/ HID. it's probably a disclaimer since HIDs do run quite hot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/npanelo/5778325576/http://www.flickr.com/photos/npanelo/5778325576/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/npanelo/, on Flickr

Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
i was using the second ones linked for 2 weeks while i was working on retrofitting my stock headlights. they're for sale now.

some thoughts...
1. the fitment wasn't as bad as i thought they would be. the top tabs definitely don't line up w/ the mounting point on the top of the fender. i used zipties to secure it and for the most part, they did not budge.
2. it was my first time firing up the LEDs and angel eyes just for the ad i posted. man, are they bright! i'd say they're close to the brightness of audi LEDs.
3. the plastic used for the rear of the housing is definitely a bit more brittle and not as flexible as our OEM lights.
4. the hole to fit our stock turn signals is too small for the "head" of our stock turn bulb. you'll need to find a bulb that fits into the hole.

there is a sticker on the housing itself that states that it is not to be used w/ HID. it's probably a disclaimer since HIDs do run quite hot.
#1 and #4 appear to be the same problems I had. I even had the same sticker.

I need to ziptie up my bumper, I think it's sagging more and more as I drive as the wind pushes it down.

Quick Reply: Just got my GE8, question about aftermarket headlights