Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Can someone explain the difference in taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Can someone explain the difference in taillights?

Seems like there is not a lot of aftermarket parts for the GE8 except in lighting. However the pricing ranges from $100 to $400. Can someone explain the difference in quality and if there is any noticeable difference in appearance? If you have brought any of these or something else let me know your thoughts. Below is a few examples:

Axis Styling LED Tail Lights $290

Name:  20120514_135647.jpg
Views: 3588
Size:  169.6 KB

Second hand Fit(GE) JDM Tail light OEM Price unknown?

Name:  IMG_1390_resize.jpg
Views: 2511
Size:  61.2 KB

2009 2010 2011 2012 HONDA FIT LED RED / CLEAR TAIL LIGHTS DEPO NEW $129.95

GE8 JDM RS Red Taillights $148.00

Honda Jazz Fit LED Tail lamp w/ bulbs LH GE $115 (each side) plus $60 shipping

Honda Fit 2009-2012 Red/Smoked LED Tail Lights - DEPO $169.95

Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
not exactly sure what u mean by the differences between all these tail lights.

the best looking ones to me would be the Axis Styling and the Stella V (which u left out). They stand out alot better and has more LEDs than the rest, with the stellas with the most. If i had 300 bucks more i would have gotten the Stella's.

personally i own clear axis styling c-led tails. the housing is so clear. the chrome, the lights are awesome quality. it also came with adapters for the stock wiring harness which worked perfectly. only downside is that the reverse light is not a built in LED, and i had to use my own bulb. the fitment is great too. yes and the lights are really bright!

I've seen the Depo RS tails and I wasn't too impressed by them. The plastic used appeared cheap to me and hazy, but that's just me. I would rather get the OEM JDM RS tails.

Last edited by xxryu139xx; 01-20-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Basically quality if you brought the second hand OEM tails vs the GE8 JDM RS Red Taillights at $148.00 above would you really notice a difference? Those are nice tail lights.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ They should be pretty much the same. I know others have noted that the LED's on the Depo's aren't as red or bright as the OEM ones, but those are the non LED ones. The ones from Thailand are less than $100 difference, iirc for OEM ones. I was thinking of getting a set of the real ones from Danny, but I found a set of the OEM RS LED (09-11), which I'm modifying to light the lower section, and some red tint. I might still get the OEM base ones, and swap em every so often.

The new OEM RS LED's are nice, as well as the clear OEM LED hybrids, and those J's are top notch as well...

Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
How much does Danny normally charge for the used OEM tail lights? I was thinking of getting the GE8 JDM RS Red Taillights $148.00.
I did not want to pay a additional $100 to $200 for tail lights if there was no real difference and use the money for other modifications.

Thanks.

Last edited by cjecpa; 01-22-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
IIRC from seeing what others paid, the difference is no more than $100. So, no more than ~$250 for real OEM (used) tails (non-LED) with all the plugs/connectors needed for USDM... ya gotta pm Danny for a more accurate price. I'm not much into replica's but for $100 I'd go with the real ones. That's just me, you do what you think is best for you.

Also some other member ordered the reps from ZestJDM and there was a problem with stock/shipping, so before you buy make sure they're in stock or else you might experience a significant wait.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks I have run into that problem before with websites indicating in stock only to find out it is back order after you have paid.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
ZestJDM idk about them try them never got bak at me

Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Dont deal with ZestJDM. I ordered a pair of the RS/Base taillights, they were horribly packaged* and were broke in shipping, they failed to respond for a week each time i talked to them, when i finally got a hold of them they said they wouldn't do anything to help me, that it "wasn't their fault it was damaged in shipping", their only offer was to sell me another set at a discount but i just wanted 2 non-broken taillights. So i opened a Paypal dispute. Which resulted in them waiting 2 weeks to respond to the dispute then they just wanted me to send back my entire order, Taillights and Dome lights, and they would refund me minus shipping both ways. I was hesitant to do that because it took 2.5 weeks to get them the first time, and with the weeks wait in between communications. I figured they would just out wait the clock on the Paypal dispute and id be without money and taillights. So i kept them and ordered some Axis lights from Panson.

They also dont respond to the email on the website its only for show, i only got responses from text messages, but i did get the email address they use. Anthony Hsieh: anthony@autobahn-ca.com

In short, dont deal with Zest JDM.

*Their packaging for two taillights consisted of: one taillight wrapped in a plastic bag, the other with nothing, both put inside a Depo headlight box, with one pass of tape across the top. It arrived on my porch open because the one piece of tape didn't hold, and one of the lights was cracked.

Meanwhile my Axis taillights from Panson took a razor blade and 5mins each to open. Foam protectors on the corners, and 3 layers of bubble wrap on each taillight, then foam packing around them in a box, taped to hell and back, with string tied around it to keep it from opening, each side of the box said "Fragile Auto Lamps".

I love the Axis lights, i got the Smoked Red, because he had them in stock, if i had to do it again I'd get the normal Red ones but they still look great and work great. They are ridiculously bright if your behind the car, and that's with the smoked lens.

Last edited by Deivioncrx; 01-22-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the comments. That is what we need on the Forum a listing of vendors to do business with and one's that there has been a problem or quality of the products. The Axis are nice and very tempting.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
yes, its all about service. i would have bought from twpanson, but i couldn't wait and i was able to find a set of axis clears (i would really prefer the reds) in hong kong. even at the store with such a huge language barrier, they worked with me and tested both lights before i left. the guy even went so far as to styrofoam wrap it heavily so that i can hand carry it back on my flight to the US.

if u got the cash i'd go stellaVs, but a good #2 is the axis tails. u won't regret how nice they look.

Name:  IMG_0970.jpg
Views: 2529
Size:  48.1 KB

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Like these?

What is the life of the lights?

Last edited by cjecpa; 01-22-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
DEPO is lowest quality.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
I guess the plus of buying the more expensive tail lights is that if you get rid of your Fit or want something different you could sell them with little depreciation if any.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
yep those, mines been on for 2-3 months now, so far so good.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Deivioncrx
Dont deal with ZestJDM. I ordered a pair of the RS/Base taillights, they were horribly packaged* and were broke in shipping, they failed to respond for a week each time i talked to them, when i finally got a hold of them they said they wouldn't do anything to help me, that it "wasn't their fault it was damaged in shipping", their only offer was to sell me another set at a discount but i just wanted 2 non-broken taillights. So i opened a Paypal dispute. Which resulted in them waiting 2 weeks to respond to the dispute then they just wanted me to send back my entire order, Taillights and Dome lights, and they would refund me minus shipping both ways. I was hesitant to do that because it took 2.5 weeks to get them the first time, and with the weeks wait in between communications. I figured they would just out wait the clock on the Paypal dispute and id be without money and taillights. So i kept them and ordered some Axis lights from Panson.

They also dont respond to the email on the website its only for show, i only got responses from text messages, but i did get the email address they use. Anthony Hsieh: anthony@autobahn-ca.com

In short, dont deal with Zest JDM.

*Their packaging for two taillights consisted of: one taillight wrapped in a plastic bag, the other with nothing, both put inside a Depo headlight box, with one pass of tape across the top. It arrived on my porch open because the one piece of tape didn't hold, and one of the lights was cracked.

Meanwhile my Axis taillights from Panson took a razor blade and 5mins each to open. Foam protectors on the corners, and 3 layers of bubble wrap on each taillight, then foam packing around them in a box, taped to hell and back, with string tied around it to keep it from opening, each side of the box said "Fragile Auto Lamps".

I love the Axis lights, i got the Smoked Red, because he had them in stock, if i had to do it again I'd get the normal Red ones but they still look great and work great. They are ridiculously bright if your behind the car, and that's with the smoked lens.
Thanks for sharing so others can see which vendors to avoid. Great post!!! +reps.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Do you need special bulbs with OEM tail lights like these or the same as US Fit?

Name:  IMG_1390_resize.jpg
Views: 4352
Size:  61.2 KB

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
do you know if zest is legit? i tried contacting them awhile ago but still nothing

Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
They finally contacted me reading reviews above I am kind afraid to order from them.

Last edited by cjecpa; 01-25-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain the difference in taillights?