Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

JDM Map Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 PM
JDM Map Light

Just some pics of the map light in case anybody here is interested in getting a set and installing them:

There is also a metal bracket that the housing appears to screw into. I'm not sure if the map light from ICB comes with it or not, so be sure to check with them if you're planning on buying it from them.

This is what it should look like after it's installed or rather whether or not I have the guts to cut into the headliner!!!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Master FitFreaker
does it come with the template and wires?? how did u wire all that and where to?? thanks

Old 08-22-2006, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
it looks like alot of work, would like to get one

Old 08-22-2006, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Comon.. Take one for the team! Install it! ahaha!
ohoh.. take pics while u're at it too!

Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by aziatiklover
does it come with the template and wires?? how did u wire all that and where to?? thanks
I haven't installed it yet. The last picture was taken from a JDM fit to show what it should look like when installed (also using it as a reference picture).

Don't really need a template...just trace the map light and cut a bit smaller...can always cut more to fit. No wiring, but there's 2 connections on the back.

Also, theres a space where the plug should go and from the connectors, it's just 2 wires.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I'm seriously toying with the idea of installing the ones from an Odyssey, TL, or Accord with the integrated HomeLink module.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor Fitfreak.net take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

I ordered this a couple of weeks ago.

I took the part to my local Honda dealer to see about a wiring connector. I found that the rear cargo light has the same connector, and tried to get them to order that, which they couldn't do without ordering an entire harness which was $300+. The Parts manager said, "Hang on a minute..." and left the counter with my light. He returned with a plug/pigtail connected to it. It seems that they have various wiring harnesses laying around that they use to get plugs off of when they are working on cars in the service dept. He didn't even charge me for it!!

Anyway - so now I have the lamp, the wiring connector, and I go to the auto parts store, light in hand, and find some bulbs that fit it. I put the bulbs in and plug it in to the connector in my cargo area, and confirm that the light and bulbs work properly.

I checked my Fit service manual to find out which wire provided constant power to the overhead light, which, if I remember correctly is wire #2, or the center wire in the three-position connector (#3 doesn't have a wire installed in it.) I removed the rear view mirror and the overhead light fixture. I used a quick-connect on the appropriate wire in the overhead light, and fished a single wire to where the mirror hangs down. I had to remove a foam block that was above the headliner where I was to put the map lights in.

Now came the scary part - cutting the hole in the headliner. I measured the light to see that it tapered slightly, so I put the light up to the headliner and used the two screws from the overhead light to secure it to the headliner and traced around it with a thin felt pen. I then used a utility knife to cut the hole in the headliner.

I connected the wire from the overhead light to the positive connection going into the map light assembly. I put a ring connector, of appropriate size, on the other wire from the map light assembly - which is the ground.

I connected the ground wire to the center bolt going back through the mirror and re-installed the mirror.

I then installed the map light assembly by gently pushing it in, and making some very minor cuts for it to fit into the headliner appropriately. After the assembly was installed, I put the lenses on it and tested. It works perfectly!!

Observations -
1. I got it lined up perfectly parallel, by my horizontal adjustment was off slightly and it is slightly skewed to the passenger side. If you didn't know, you probably couldn't tell.
2. I am going to trim the foam block that was above the headliner so that it fits above the map light so that there isn't a "deflection" in the headliner when pressing the lights on and off.
3. The bulbs that I installed are rather bright and could be annoying if someone were using them while you were driving. I'm probably going to evaluate some different lights to find a bulb/brightness that works best for me.

Overall, I am very pleased with the total process of this!!

Last edited by wyy183; 08-23-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:07 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Very nice, thanks for the write-up! How much was the map light, and where did you get it from?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:30 PM
So it's simply held in place by the headliner? No rear bracket?

Old 08-23-2006, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
Very nice, thanks for the write-up! How much was the map light, and where did you get it from?

Thanks!
icbmotorsport.com

Go here to see/order http://yhst-1408381693991.stores.yah...fitgd3map.html

It was around $45 with $8.50 shipping, if I remember correctly.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^ Thanks, might have to do this. Only issue might be WAF.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Like I mentioned in the write-up, it is somewhat tapered. It also has some molded into it some clips which help it stay in place.

When I put mine in, it was very snug. This isn't a very heavy piece, and it hasn't moved since I put it in a week ago. I doubt that it will in any way.

That being said - if it ever does move, I could cut a piece of plastic to use as a backing plate - it would be pretty easy to do.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
the 2 holes in the lights are for 2 10mm nuts to hold it in place just like any other Hondas, the hole on the right side has a metal ring thats usually for the ground too, but I guess we can't really get the metal bracket behind it or it has to be built in with the car, may be you can get one that fit from an Accord or RSX

Old 08-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I know in my Integras the two studs are welded to the frame of the car.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
I know in my Integras the two studs are welded to the frame of the car.
My car only has one stud. But, then again I'm driving!!

Sorry - couldn't resist!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:02 PM
har har har. :P

BTW, it sure looks like the Element map lights, part number 34403-S5A-013ZA. Is that the same part number as shown on the packaging?

Ebay listing for grey Element map lights.

Attached Thumbnails JDM Map Light-58_1.jpg  
Old 08-24-2006, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
har har har. :P

BTW, it sure looks like the Element map lights, part number 34403-S5A-013ZA. Is that the same part number as shown on the packaging?
Numbers were removed from packaging - go figure!! It does look exactly the same - - -

Now I feel like an idiot!!!

Oh well - live and learn!

Old 08-26-2006, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
Numbers were removed from packaging - go figure!! It does look exactly the same - - -

Now I feel like an idiot!!!

Oh well - live and learn!
having previously worked with ICB Motorsport I can tell you for sure that what you bought was a product for your car. We removed part numbers so competitors wouldn't be able to order the same parts from the factory. It's all about competition with other stores. He's not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by dacalac
having previously worked with ICB Motorsport I can tell you for sure that what you bought was a product for your car. We removed part numbers so competitors wouldn't be able to order the same parts from the factory. It's all about competition with other stores. He's not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Gotta do what ya gotta do...

Last edited by 8251reefer; 08-26-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Master FitFreaker
nice I guess Im ordering the element map light or the rsx one hahaha

Quick Reply: JDM Map Light