Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

JDM Map Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by dacalac
having previously worked with ICB Motorsport I can tell you for sure that what you bought was a product for your car. We removed part numbers so competitors wouldn't be able to order the same parts from the factory. It's all about competition with other stores. He's not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

lol that always cracks me up.finding parts numbers is not a secret these days. 10 years ago MAYBE.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Has anyone else installed this? I'm gonna order the one from eBay. If I can't locate the appropriate wiring harness, I'll just make one.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
Has anyone else installed this? I'm gonna order the one from eBay. If I can't locate the appropriate wiring harness, I'll just make one.
I just went to my dealer, with the light, and the parts manager rumbled around through his wiring harness until he found the plug that I needed. He cut it so there was about a 12" pigtail for me.

Oh, and there was no charge!! They love me there!!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by wyy183
I just went to my dealer, with the light, and the parts manager rumbled around through his wiring harness until he found the plug that I needed. He cut it so there was about a 12" pigtail for me.

Oh, and there was no charge!! They love me there!!
Sweet. I should go to our Honda dealer and see what they can find... our sales lady (the Internet Manager) loves having us come back to show her all the stuff we're doing with the car.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Okay, my map light is installed! I ended up using two female plugs from a PC molex connector to attach to the prongs on the light, and then I wire-nutted those to the fished wire connected to the dome light and the ground wire connected to the rear mirror. I initially had some wiring issues, but after that was fixed it went fast.

$18.99 well spent!! Thanks for the tutorial, wyy183.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:21 PM
You can get a connector from a junk yard.

It's actually the same one that is used for trunk/hatch lights

Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Good point. I may do that later to clean up the install. I didn't want to go find one since it would have taken an extra hour out of my day

Yuf, thanks for posting the original pics and part info!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Looks good, but you should have done the CL map lights with Homelink.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^ I don't have a garage door! ... heck, we didn't even have a driveway until Monday of this week. Gotta wait until the concrete cures before the Fit can finally be parked off-street. Gotta protect my baby!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
A few months later....

Have you had any problems with it falling out or getting loose?
Is it still just as secure?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:25 AM
really thinking about this, but I rather have someone install it that knows more about wires then I do! ya know

Old 02-13-2008, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
yeah...but if someone does a diy..then i say do it yourself.

i think i could figure it out if i actually sat down to take a look. i really need a map light, or LEDs in my roof line.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I found a maplight from some Honda in my dad's toolbox (retired 35 yr Honda Tech). Its grey but slightly darker than the headliner and has one switch for both lights. Located a plug for it in his "diagnostic" plugs bin. Now, do I really want to cut into the headliner? If I put this in, I'm gonna have to get some blue or red LED "mood lights" for it.......

Part of me feels it would be of more use installed in the cargo area.....

Old 11-28-2008, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
Bump

Found this thread after a bit of searching and I know there are a bunch of us that want to install maplights.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm... i couldn't see the pics on the 1st page?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
nevermind, old a-ss post LOL..

Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member

I used a DC2 maplight for mine, at least for the moment i have a maplight, when i get my hands on the OEM one i'll take these out.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by wyy183
I checked my Fit service manual to find out which wire provided constant power to the overhead light, which, if I remember correctly is wire #2, or the center wire in the three-position connector (#3 doesn't have a wire installed in it.) I removed the rear view mirror and the overhead light fixture. I used a quick-connect on the appropriate wire in the overhead light, and fished a single wire to where the mirror hangs down. I had to remove a foam block that was above the headliner where I was to put the map lights in.

I connected the wire from the overhead light to the positive connection going into the map light assembly. I put a ring connector, of appropriate size, on the other wire from the map light assembly - which is the ground.

I connected the ground wire to the center bolt going back through the mirror and re-installed the mirror.

I understand what your steps were and thank you for the write-up. I just spent an hour or so fiddling around with my map lights (purchased from icbmotorsport).

That having been said, I still have a few questions about wiring. If I tap the positive and the negative from the dome light and extend the wires to the map lights the map lights only come on when the doors are opened. If I tap the positive from the dome light and extend it to the map lights and ground the map lights by using a bolt for the rear view mirror the map lights do not come on with the doors but they do turn on/off regardless of door open or closed.

Here is how I want my map lights to function:
1. When the doors are open the map lights turn on.
2. When the doors close the map light turns off.
3. When I click the map light it turns on, and when I click the map light it turns off again.

So, basically, I want the map lights to function much like the dome light. The dome light has two wires (positive and negative) and three settings (on, door, and off) and I want the map lights, using a positive and negative (because there are only two terminals [when looking at the lights like they will be mounted in the headliner with the lights down negative is on the left and positive is on the right]) that are either on, on with door open, or off. Anyone? And before anyone suggests I use the search bar for the answer, I have. Multiple times, and this was the most helpful thread yet, but does not answer my wiring question.