Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY cargo cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 04:32 PM
DIY cargo cover

2016 EX.

Buy this stuff.

Cut it somewhat like this. Remember to measure once, cut 4 times.

Tape the sharp edges. Use the long piece you cut off to reinforce the dangling edges by the rear seats. Use very sticky tape. Note the 4 wood pieces used to fit it on to the plastic trim pieces.

I used foam. I also has some batting that I thought I'd use, but it was too thin.

Buy the overpriced fabric of your choice. I double wrapped it and used 3M spray adhesive to keep it all together. Note the mass loaded vinyl roll for the upcoming soundproofing project.

That's it!

Old 05-02-2019, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
That's pretty sketchy. The main thing I have issue with is the "front" where you have a roll of spikes that is only covered by a bit of tape. It looks like, if you manage to hit with any bit of force, those spikes are going through the tape, fabric and probably your skin, if not whatever else that could hit it. Even took the part you cut off and taped it back on at the end, there's nothing to actually hold it in place besides the tape, which, again... can get ripped through by the spike if it gets hit.

You would've been better off leaving it longer, and then bending them back on themselves. This makes it so they're all rounded off instead of spikes.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by seditious3
Cut it somewhat like this. Remember to measure once, cut 4 times.
LOL

Haven't we all done this?

Old 05-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
That's pretty sketchy. The main thing I have issue with is the "front" where you have a roll of spikes that is only covered by a bit of tape. It looks like, if you manage to hit with any bit of force, those spikes are going through the tape, fabric and probably your skin, if not whatever else that could hit it. Even took the part you cut off and taped it back on at the end, there's nothing to actually hold it in place besides the tape, which, again... can get ripped through by the spike if it gets hit.

You would've been better off leaving it longer, and then bending them back on themselves. This makes it so they're all rounded off instead of spikes.
It's not as janky as it looks. The tape is actually very strong, and I'm confident that it will stay put. I also put more tape on than it appears. I didn't think of bending it back on itself - that's a good idea.

Last edited by seditious3; 05-02-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
I made one out of foam core, hinged in the middle and painted flat dark gray. I attached it with cording on the rear edges to the "slots" in the sheet metal with removable sheet metal clips that I made. That way the back half rises with the hatch.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Hahahahaha, hilarious thread.

I bought mine used for maybe 70$. Been happy with it since.