Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Rearview mirror makes objects seem closer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Rearview mirror makes objects seem closer?

I recently purchased a Fit for my wife. One of the things we both don't like is the way the rearview mirror makes objects seem closer than they really are. Not only that, but it actually gives me a headache looking at it. Are all of the Fit's rearview mirrors' like this?

Old 12-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I'm not sure, but I did try to use the rear mirror to change lanes, and it's difficult. I think it might be because teh fit's not very good at rear visbility on the sides. When you look straight through the back, you are seeing what is behind through tunnel vision.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have never noticed what you mentioned. :shrug:

Old 12-15-2006, 10:15 PM
seems fine to me, same as all my other cars

Old 12-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Rearview visibility is fair, MUCH better than some of the sub-compacts I looked at. I felt blind in some of them, the Pontiac Vibe being the worst to the point that I was concerned even looking over my shoulder. If visibility is a concern, and you dont typically have adult passengers in the rear, then remove the rear passanger side head rest. It made a huge difference for me when I glance over. And for those of us that dont remember driver's ed, you are supposed to look over your shoulder for lane changes, and not rely on the rear view mirror.
P.S. I see no magnification with mirror, same as all cars I've had. In fact I like it better than some.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by mjrossman17
Rearview visibility is fair, MUCH better than some of the sub-compacts I looked at. I felt blind in some of them, the Pontiac Vibe being the worst to the point that I was concerned even looking over my shoulder. If visibility is a concern, and you dont typically have adult passengers in the rear, then remove the rear passanger side head rest. It made a huge difference for me when I glance over. And for those of us that dont remember driver's ed, you are supposed to look over your shoulder for lane changes, and not rely on the rear view mirror.
P.S. I see no magnification with mirror, same as all cars I've had. In fact I like it better than some.
I used to do this, but now i have more adults in the back. The visibility problem was mainly cuz the fit's tall upright stature of the back seats. the civic had good visibility cuz all the chairs were leaning back.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Gordio
I used to do this, but now i have more adults in the back. The visibility problem was mainly cuz the fit's tall upright stature of the back seats. the civic had good visibility cuz all the chairs were leaning back.
Sorry my suggestion was little help. Visibility is going to be limited because of the tapering of the vehicle (see mullet). A reach would be what my friend did on another subcompact and that was toss the little convex mirrors (like you would use for towing) on the side mirrors. Its pretty unobtrusive and gives you tremendous range of viewing. Only thing I know of. Otherwise yell back and tell your passengers to duck!

Old 12-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i don't think it's the mirror. You and your wife might not be used to looking out the rear of a hatchback? maybe