Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Glove Box, huge bat cave above...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Question Glove Box, huge bat cave above...ideas?

Hi guys,
I was stuffing the glove box with initiation rites (insurance info, manuals, napkins, 9mm auto with 2 extended ammo clips...kidding). And noticed that there was no top roof above the glove box. Actually, there is a fairly large space above that is enough to hold all the manuals and a motel kit.

Do you guys have ideas on how to make this space usable? Will it interfere with the car's function if blocked/stuffed?

I was planning to size it out and make a little neoprene nook with zipper or Velcro closure. You guys have any ideas?

- - - - - - - - - -
Op, found something. Looks like the heater/AC ducting value is here (image just below). Another thread says on recycle mode, the filter vent sucks FROM the glove compartment?

(image of the interior's air filter installation)

Last edited by stephanpark; 06-15-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Updated with new findings.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Never mind.

I was stumbling around in FitFreak.net and found out what that hole is for. Looks like the Jazz has a cubby bin where that cave goes for USDM.
Here is an image I found at Claymore's thread about DIY analog gauges. This image unfortunately has the glove bin removed.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the USDM version. But I'm not giving up on the hidden pouch idea yet.

Last edited by stephanpark; 06-21-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Master FitFreaker
wow thanx man

Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
That's better looking than the USDM. I'm sure icould put a console there, instead of changing out the stock HU.

meh.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:44 AM
Alas,

RHD only I think. Buttt...in my service manual, it does show an LHD model with the bin but I'm sure you'd have to replace the whole front dash fascia thingie. I can't even imagine what hell that will cost and take to install. So, I will make a purse...um, man bag thing for it so I can move the freak'n manuals out of there.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:47 AM
This picture is of non USDM model. If you look at the bottom of the dashboard, you will she an inbuilt shelf into the dash.

If you look at this pic, you can she the shelf clearer.

In no USDM models we have 2 holes under the glovebox door. The lower one (which is mising from your picture) is deep big enough to hole a DIN size Hi-Fi unit. Honda in Europe mount the DVD-Satnav unit in this hole.

Al.

Originally Posted by stephanpark
I was stumbling around in FitFreak.net and found out what that hole is for. Looks like the Jazz has a cubby bin where that cave goes for USDM.
Here is an image I found at Claymore's thread about DIY analog gauges. This image unfortunately has the glove bin removed.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the USDM version. But I'm not giving up on the hidden pouch idea yet.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Maybe I was being too cryptic, Left Hand Drive models do come with a dual bin if the service manual is correct as most of European market is LHD and some of that market may have matured enough to have want for Premium accessories...for this discussion it looks like the critical need for the space is that SatNav bay.

UK market has the dual bin glove box with the huge door to accommodate that option I believe as the Jazz has passed its introduction trim phase and is now porking on the trimmings for product viability upgrading.

I think you may have miss posted that image, it is a nice job on an aftermarket Head Unit install but I see no shelf of a glove box that you explained.

But thanks for the input about the SatNav, that space and the rediculously large glove door makes a lot more sense as a packaging concession compared to the USDM version.