Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Audio upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Audio upgrades.

I've been upgrading the sound in my Fit... an Alpine iDA-X001 head unit which pretty much solves the whole iPod integration problem. I've been laying down RAAMmat slowly but surely (I have the trunk area and one rear door done). My next steps will be to replace the stock speakers, install an amp for them and then evaluate my need for a sub.

I thought I'd get some feedback on replacement speakers. I'm looking at Alpine R-Series and Elemental Designs eD6000s. Any comments/suggestions? I'm not really looking for volume, "just" clarity and fullness.

I'm currently looking at the same companies for amps and a sub. Which brings up the question of where to put the amps... I carry people and stuff around a lot and actually fold the seats around almost daily. So where can I hide them? Are there problems with putting them up under the dash? Is there really enough space under the front seats? I'd like to keep my spare tire.

For the sub I'm planning on properly glassing in the compartment behind the pocket in the cargo area. I roughly measured the volume by filling it with pearlite and there's more than half a cubic foot in there.

I've learned a lot so far... I'm really glad I bought the car manual and a complete set of Matco trim removal tools. RAAMmat is a great product. And of course fit-freak has been really helpful... thanks to everyone.

-Liam

Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
"RAAMmat is a great product."

I have used this for my truck with excellent result. Sounds like you are going all out for a big project. Would you mind telling me where you got the manual (FSM?) and the trim tool? I am planning to do the same for the Fit. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Manual:
Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories, made by Honda for your Honda.
(bottom of the page)

Matco
Matco Tools | Professional Hand Tools, Tool Storage and Automotive Service Equipment

5PC AUTO FASTENER REMOVAL TOOL
part#
MST4489A
$29

I bought a couple metal trim tools as well, but haven't had to use them.

-Liam

Old 09-03-2007, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
I was looking at the same series of speakers as replacements for my Fit as well. I have Infinity Kappa's in my truck and they sound awesome so I was thinking of checking them out too for the Fit. If not Kappa's, at least Reference's.

Personally, I don't think you can really go wrong with Alpine. In general, they make excellent products. If you end up going with the R-series speakers, let us know how they sound.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Well if loudness is a concern the Infinity Kappa 60.7CS components would be a stellar choice since theya re a 2ohm speaker set. This means that your head unit or amp will push about twice as much power through them so they'll get louder. They are also a very good sounding set with very shallow mounting requiremtns thanks to their neodynium magnets.

As for where to mount the amps. I'll let you know wednesday since I'm picking up my fit tuesday.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
"I'm not really looking for volume, "just" clarity and fullness."

I have both Infinity Kappa and CDT CL Series. They are comparable in price. I would definitely consider CDT CL Series; the clarify is a bit better than Kappa - CDTAUDIO HD 42-642 & HD CDT4-CDT6.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
i've went thru many component systems, and by far, eD 6500s were the BEST, esp for the money. They are very comparable to my friend's $1k Focals.

R's were pretty good, but i ditched them for eD's and have no regrets. Wait til the eD 6800s come out, its an upgraded mid i believe. Details on it are still iffy. eD 6000 v2's have been having great reviews also. I'd take eD over the general mainstream Alpine, but they're still good speakers. I also ditched 2 12" Alpine Type-R subs for 1 eD 13Ov2.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
I ordered a complete package from eD... two sets of 6000s, two 8" subs, a NINe 4 amp for the 6000s and a NINe 2 for the subs... plus a dual amp install kit and rings for the subs. I'm still looking for a place to hide the amps though.

-Liam

Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Just an FYI.. BAssworx amps and eD amps are the exact same amps and bassworx sells them cheaper .

Old 09-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by plastidip
I ordered a complete package from eD... two sets of 6000s, two 8" subs, a NINe 4 amp for the 6000s and a NINe 2 for the subs... plus a dual amp install kit and rings for the subs. I'm still looking for a place to hide the amps though.

-Liam
baller!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Injundon
Just an FYI.. BAssworx amps and eD amps are the exact same amps and bassworx sells them cheaper .
oh cool! so basically eD rebadged them?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 PM
eD and bassworx amps are the same. eD Copied them. and most of eD's component speakers are rebadged CDT speakers. I don't really think eD makes any of their stuff..it's all rebadged made in china stuff.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
yeah, i've heard the eDi lineup is rebadged CDT crossovers, but they are supposedly making their own stuff now. i forget which. 6800 series i believe. And that monster Av2 sub.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm currently looking at the same companies for amps and a sub. Which brings up the question of where to put the amps... I carry people and stuff around a lot and actually fold the seats around almost daily. So where can I hide them? Are there problems with putting them up under the dash? Is there really enough space under the front seats? I'd like to keep my spare tire.
I found that there is enough room under the drivers seat for my Fosgate Power 600-4 amp, not sure about under the passenger seat, although my 3Sixty.2 fits there, but it's pretty small. I'm going to run a single amp system because of space constraints. Using the 2 front channels to power all 4 components, and bridging the rear channels to 1 10" sub. I'll lose fade ability but think it's a small price to pay for great sound.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:41 PM
I've been upgrading the sound in my Fit... an Alpine iDA-X001 head unit which pretty much solves the whole iPod integration problem. I've been laying down RAAMmat slowly but surely (I have the trunk area and one rear door done). My next steps will be to replace the stock speakers, install an amp for them and then evaluate my need for a sub.

I thought I'd get some feedback on replacement speakers. I'm looking at Alpine R-Series and Elemental Designs eD6000s. Any comments/suggestions? I'm not really looking for volume, "just" clarity and fullness.

For the sub I'm planning on properly glassing in the compartment behind the pocket in the cargo area. I roughly measured the volume by filling it with pearlite and there's more than half a cubic foot in there.

I've learned a lot so far... I'm really glad I bought the car manual and a complete set of Matco trim removal tools. RAAMmat is a great product. And of course fit-freak has been really helpful... thanks to everyone.

-Liam
What im doing is putting a "false floor" in the rear and removing the spare tire cover.. Then just building a "box" on to that to hold my amps and putting a lid on it.. Then just putting my sub box on top of that..

My sub box will be removable so I can just pull the box out and my amps will be protected with the "box" thats part of the "false floor".. I can also put crap in the back on top of that and still have my mids and highs working.. I can also lift up the "false floor" and gain access to my spare tire..

Old 10-05-2007, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
I found that there is enough room under the drivers seat for my Fosgate Power 600-4 amp, not sure about under the passenger seat, although my 3Sixty.2 fits there, but it's pretty small. I'm going to run a single amp system because of space constraints. Using the 2 front channels to power all 4 components, and bridging the rear channels to 1 10" sub. I'll lose fade ability but think it's a small price to pay for great sound.

Why dont you just power the front components with 2 channels and let the headunit amp power the rear speakers and then you can bridge the subwoofer on the last two channels. That's what I would do and I still may.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:39 AM
I found that there is enough room under the drivers seat for my Fosgate Power 600-4 amp
I've not checked under there personally (just going off of what others say here) but I was under the impression that there was very little headroom under the seat. Listed specs for your amp peg the dimensions at roughly 15" x 8" x 2" - is that correct? If you can fit that under there, then there's a good chance that I can throw mine under there as well!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
You actually fit a Rockford Fosgate Power T600-4 amp under the driver's seat? Doesn't it overheat? According to the specs its 2.14" tall. We have that much space? Its good to hear the 3Sixty fits under the seats though. I was thinking the same thing. But as for the Power T600... thats a pretty thick amp... let me know how it goes. I'm personally looking into the Sony XM-4s. It's pretty slim & compact.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeister
Why dont you just power the front components with 2 channels and let the headunit amp power the rear speakers and then you can bridge the subwoofer on the last two channels. That's what I would do and I still may.
He's going with the OEM HU and using a Signal Processor to output to the amps. With the signal processor, you have to connect all the speaker outs from the OEM HU to the processor and then amplify all the signals. If you only did the fronts, only the fronts would get the Sound Processing. Your fronts & rears would sound different.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
for a nice priced speaker that will sound good, look into pioneer prs comps, and phoenix gold rsd comps, those sound great for the price, and as for amps, good budget amps could be profile, blau velocity, so yea... up to u, look around.

Quick Reply: Audio upgrades.