Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Stock Speakers - Suck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 PM
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

As far as the 2 extra 'speakers' in the Sport model, they're only tweeters, meaning either the front or the back speakers are component. Having coaxial upgraded speakers (like the ones I just purchased) have the tweeter inside the mid driver of the speaker. Granted this isn't as good as having the tweeters up near the dash where you'd want to hear the higher frequencies, but it's better than the paper mid drivers and non-existent tweeters you get from the factory.

To respond to 'people playing music so loud the car next to them hears it'. That's not why I'm into car audio/video. I'm into it more for the sound clarity, not sound level/power. I could care less about how loud my A/V system goes, but I do care about how accurately the music is played/heard. Like it was said in a post above, the bass and treble in the stock speakers is 'ok', but you can't hear a damn thing in between. This is where the mid driver portion of the speaker is crucial, as this is what produces the mid-range frequencies (vocals, lyrics, guitar, etc). I'm a huge fan of rock, alternative and metal music. So having the mid-range frequencies is very important IMO.

Anyhow. Hopefully changing to the Infinity's I ordered will fix these issues. I'm more than certain they will.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ImPuLsIvE.ca
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

As far as the 2 extra 'speakers' in the Sport model, they're only tweeters, meaning either the front or the back speakers are component. Having coaxial upgraded speakers (like the ones I just purchased) have the tweeter inside the mid driver of the speaker. Granted this isn't as good as having the tweeters up near the dash where you'd want to hear the higher frequencies, but it's better than the paper mid drivers and non-existent tweeters you get from the factory.
actually right off honda canada's website it states that the LX model uses a 160watt system with 4 speakers and the sport is 200watt with 6 speakers. This means they are different then the sport models.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 PM
the wattage is produced by the headunit or secondary amplifier. like i've stated before, i've already changed it to an AVIC unit. The extra 'speakers' in the sport model are tweeters. Big deal. So the sport model has better highs... spectacular! That still doesn't help the shitty mid-drivers.

Last edited by ImPuLsIvE.ca; 01-10-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
actually right off honda canada's website it states that the LX model uses a 160watt system with 4 speakers and the sport is 200watt with 6 speakers. This means they are different then the sport models.
Woofers are 100% identical on ALL fit models. With the sport, you get a pair of polyeurethane tweeters that are crossed over at 6Khz @6db/octave. This is why the sport sounds weird.

The cruddy woofer in the door can only play up to arond 3Khz somewhat accurately before the cone starts breaking up and kills the highs. There's a definate sound gap from 3Khz to about 5Khz. where alot of female vocals, guitar and othe rmusic lies.

If you go to my Guideline thread this is "frequency response"..

Also the power rating on the fit sport and Fit base head units is 16Wrms(they share the same I/C MOSFET output transistors.).

Honda seems to be using the speakers theoretical maximum power handling of the speakers as their basis for power. Again as I've said.. "advertizing number" that has no bearing on sound.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:36 PM
I wonder if i can swap some "stuff" from an '01 civic coupe to the fit (with regards to audio) hmmm.... can anyone tell by me quoting "stuff" I have no clue...HAAHAAHAHAAAAA but really

Old 01-12-2008, 01:05 AM
the speakers on the older hondas ar virtually identical to those on the fit. The head units are made by different manufacturers so compenents vary but have similar specs.

The differences are mostly the cars acoustics. The fit has flimsier plastic door panels, and the seating pisition is much higher than the 7th gen civics.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
i've gotta say, i'm a huge stickler for a good stereo, and besides an occassional rattle on certain songs (i'm a bass fan), i think it overall sounds pretty good.

ideally i'd like to add a sub when i get some extra fundage, just to get rid of said rattle. i really can't complain too much.

but to each their own.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Originally Posted by Injundon
the speakers on the older hondas ar virtually identical to those on the fit. The head units are made by different manufacturers so compenents vary but have similar specs.

The differences are mostly the cars acoustics. The fit has flimsier plastic door panels, and the seating pisition is much higher than the 7th gen civics.
I have alot to learn and I will.... having said that, from what I can gather about not being able to hear anything in between the bass and the trebble. Is that getting different speakers wont change much of anything, because its the way the head unit relays the sound?
And I know that my old 7th gen civic coupe was smaller inside and more padded and a ton of other stuff...but it had such a fullness of sound that I miss. I dont (really dont want to change out the head unit on the fit...I "kinda" like it but...with out that change I am at a loss...yes, no?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:30 PM
A little dynamat extreme behind the on metal door around the speaker and on the plastic door panel make a world of difference . Changing the speakers is still pretty much a necessity though The stock honda speakers are designed to function reliably at the cheapest cost possible. Trying to to make them sound good will be alosing battle.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITrunner
Meh. Stock speakers work for me. Unless the speakers blow up and spout nothing but static, I have no reason to upgrade. Besides if i want the person in the car next to me to hear how clear and loud my music is he better be paying me, problem is they aren't so what do I care if they can hear me or not.
my thoughts exactly. if it aint broke, don't fix it

Old 01-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my other cars running aftermarket stereo's obviously sound tremendously
better, but the FitS's stock system is not bad. here is wat i use:

Groove mode
Bass: 0
Treble: -3

almost sounds like it has a small sub somewhere and the high's are
better controlled. Groove by itself is too bright. the other EQ modes
imho dont sound that great.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
my other cars running aftermarket stereo's obviously sound tremendously
better, but the FitS's stock system is not bad. here is wat i use:

Groove mode

I will have to check that out. I have tried various setting and fiddling a bit, but it seems that no matter what I do I am unable to either hear or distincly hear anything in the middle. I finally have a small collection of music and now I cant enjoy some of my favorite parts.
I have found if I blast the volume to where my ears bleed I can hear some of the middle stuff...but I really, really, REALLY, HATE blasting music in my car just to try and enjoy it.

...anywho...thanks again for posting one of your settings I have to check it out.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
For the AVIC-D3 I have adjusted the sound level to give bass…and the settings are as follows.

EQ to S-Bass (pulls all low end bass up)
Sorry Treo pictures…
[img] http://www.geocities.com/blitzmkii/pictures/Cars/img009.jpg[/img]

And then set the loudness as follows
Loudness “ON”
Level “High”
[img] http://www.geocities.com/blitzmkii/pictures/Cars/img010.jpg[/img]

This setting at volume 15 can rattle my review mirror on bass. So I don’t know why you can’t get bass out of your headunit, unless you guys in Canada get a different set of speakers then us in the US

Old 01-15-2008, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
wow! you people must be tone deaf...

i understand you audiophiles gotta have the best everything. but of course, no stock system is even gonna compare to a clean aftermarket one. you'd have to be crazy to think that in the first place. BUT, you can make the sport model's sound "relatively" good. you just have to funk around with all the eq settings quite a bit. going from album to album you're never gonna be able to use the same settings tho. i'm sure there are a few that are close enough not to have to fidget with it, but for the most part you'd be dreaming to think one setting is the best for everything. a lot of it depends on the volume and the svc setting.

for demonstration purposes we'll just assume the car is sitting with the svc turned "OFF". and for a baseline parameter we'll start with the bass and treble settings all the way up @ +6, volume @ 12. these should be the optimum settings for clarity while not being TOO loud. normal is gonna give the fullest/richest qulity sound. depending on the levels set by who ever mastered and/or produced whatever the fukc track you're listening to, it's not always gonna sound perfect. beats obviously brings up the low end and lowers the high end. vocal of course raises the mids. it would seem to me that smooth levels everything out. groove maxes out both the highs and the lows while appearing to cut the midrange. that's probably your best basic guide to the system.

trust me, starting out from my initial settings, you're not gonna bog shit. unless you have like some crazy ass bass frequency test tracks. the only variables depend on svc and volume. highs are pretty freakin clear in this mamma jamma. the higher you volume goes up the more it's gonna hurt your ears. so if you have svc on as you go faster you're gonna need to adjust treble dooooooooown. if you're going slow or are at a stop or have the svc off beats will give you the best bass response at such a lower power. if you are playing bass heavy music you may want to use vocal or smooth, again depending on the levels the music was recorded and mastered at, in order to avoid distortion.

i tested every possible kinda music when i first got it because the fact i had a stereo that played music was an improvement over what i had before. i went as high as 35 volume while fukcing with all the levels and ettings and eqs, to get it as loud as possible while minimizing distortion to keep it sounding clean. not saying that is a good idea or even that it really sounded all that great, just wnated to see how loud i could get it before completely turning the signal to crap.

when i'm conversing with another person inside or out of my car i usually have the volume turned down anywhere from 3-9... again depending. when i'm all by my lonesome and i wanna rock the fukc out, depending on all the factors i mentioned through out, mainly; speed/svc, mastering/production, & style/genre, my volume ranges anywhere from 16 being pretty decent to 26 being plenty loud enough.

bottom line: mos def not the worst system, probably the best you're gonna find on a practical, entry level, econo car. as the smae goes for driving: knowledge, experience, and skill count for 80% the system itself 15% and something else whatever is 5%... damn i fukced that up.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
For the AVIC-D3 I have adjusted the sound level to give bass…and the settings are as follows.

EQ to S-Bass (pulls all low end bass up)
Sorry Treo pictures…
[img] http://www.geocities.com/blitzmkii/pictures/Cars/img009.jpg[/img]

And then set the loudness as follows
Loudness “ON”
Level “High”
[img] http://www.geocities.com/blitzmkii/pictures/Cars/img010.jpg[/img]

This setting at volume 15 can rattle my review mirror on bass. So I don’t know why you can’t get bass out of your headunit, unless you guys in Canada get a different set of speakers then us in the US
Yeah the rear-view mirror rattles, but so do the speakers. The level of distortion with those settings is ridiculous in my car. Plus I don't really need much bass as I'm a rock/metal fan.

I'll let you all know what improves when the speakers i've ordered get installed.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by los_creeper

for demonstration purposes we'll just assume the car is sitting with the svc turned "OFF". and for a baseline parameter we'll start with the bass and treble settings all the way up @ +6, volume @ 12. these should be the optimum settings for clarity while not being TOO loud.
the problem i have with this setting is that when it's on +6 that means all the sound is directed towards the front speaker with minimal sound from the back, there is no surround effect achieved.

the best settings i have found for overall clarity/bass have been mostly centered with +2 or 3 on the bass (i listen to a lot of bass heavy music). too much treble and that's when the stock system gets really tinny.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 AM
well I have tried many more settings....its starting to feel like I am trying to solve a rubix cube where the colors keep swapping squares.

I am in no way an audiophile but the sound in my old gen 7 bone stock civic LX coupe was superior to the Fit sport that I have. At least in the ways that I enjoyed music. And that is starting to bother me more than I care to admit.
I have found no such setting that really truly brings out the mids (that is what you call the subdlties between the bass and the treb....right?)
So until I can figure someting out I have mostly stopped using the radio and usually only use it when I am listening to talk stuff or if my GF is in the car and wants to hear something. I would hate to think that my 7 year old civic spoiled me.
Actually I like the fullness of sound that virtually every other I drive in has over the fit. *sniffle...sniffle*

In an abstracted way...it feels like the fits sound is trying too hard to sound crisp and has forgotten to present the character of the music.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
snapfit- that's because you're trying to make a chicken fly. aint going to
happen. you have to live with the best setting unless you replace the
speakers.

although my current eq setting does not = my aftermarket stereos in my
hobby cars, im happy with the fit's stereo.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
the FitS's stock system is not bad. here is wat i use:

Groove mode

I'm leaning toward this hint. If your sound is too tinny, or too bright, turn the treble down a bit, rather than turning the bass up. When tuning your audio sound, subtractive adjustments work well, too.

You might still turn the bass up more, but try a little bit of additive and subtractive techniques to get it where you like it. The most important part of doing so is listening.

In addition, I usually will set the fader slightly to the rear speakers, to give more presence of sound "coming from the back of the car."

The complete sound should not make you squint each time it hits. Good sound should give you a sense of well-being, even if you're listening to Death Metal.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i tried several other settings for a while, but i keep coming back
to that groove/bass 0/treble -3 setting.

as far as fade, the rear speakers has more midband freq's so
if you fade towards the rear more you get more mids...but at the same
time the sound gets kinda out of place because there's a delay between
when the bass and high freq hit your ear vs the mids from the back.

so i left the fade to zero.

Quick Reply: Stock Speakers - Suck?