Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

How do you remove the gas pedal/accelerator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
How do you remove the gas pedal/accelerator?

How is the gas pedal removed? I've searched, and plenty of folks have asked the same question within threads about pedal covers and replacements, but I haven't found an answer. It seems there is a through-and-through pin holding the plastic pedal to the metal rod, but I haven't found a way to remove it.

I have some Sparco pedals (black with blue rubberized inserts, so they sort of match the interior and dash display). The clutch and brake pedal were simple, but the accelerator pedal cover is almost the exact same size as the existing plastic piece. I'd rather not drill into the plastic piece (and if I do, the bolts that hold the cover in place would be visible), so i'd rather remove it entirely and fabricate a bracket to hold the Sparco pedal in place. Alternatively, if I end up drilling the existing pedal, I'd like to know I could buy a replacement if I ever feel the need to do so.

So hopefully someone knows how, and then we can change the title of this thread to a statement instead of a question.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
i don't believe you need to remove anything for the gas pedal. there isn't a rubber cover.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Right, this I know. I'm wanting to remove the entire plastic piece that basically IS the gas pedal, leaving the metal rod behind and mount my pedals to THAT rather than screwing them into plastic.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
whoa! idk if that's possible LOL. maybe you'd have to break it off. idk if it's two pieces. i know when i had my pedals out of my del sol when i was doing an AT to MT conversion, it was like molded on. not screwed on

Old 04-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Former Vendor
As for removing the plastic pedal, you'll pretty much need to destroy it as theres no way to remount it. I believe there is a rivet or pin that holds it in from the back.

Last edited by strutking; 04-10-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strutking
As for removing the plastic pedal, you'll pretty much need to destroy it as theres no way to remount it. I believe there is a rivet or pin that holds it in from the back.
Yeah, that was what I was afraid of...which brings up the next question: If I destroy it in removal, does anyone know the part number and cost of a replacement OEM pedal?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Uh dont you just have to screw holes through the factory pedals and bolt on the aftermarkets? thats what most of them do

Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 PM
yeah i asked LOD and he said drill it where it is. mines goin in this weekend, sparco corsa m/t set. mounting on top of the existing trottle pedal will add a little height to it too. i think it could use a little. my feet and legs dont agree with heel/ toe driving- bad pedal positioning.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smirff07
yeah i asked LOD and he said drill it where it is. mines goin in this weekend, sparco corsa m/t set. mounting on top of the existing trottle pedal will add a little height to it too. i think it could use a little. my feet and legs dont agree with heel/ toe driving- bad pedal positioning.

oooo aiite cool. yeah im planning to do that soon... as well as a dead pedal

Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smirff07
Yes, you CAN just place the pedal directly over the existing plastic one. I don't WANT to, for a few reasons:
  • The additional thickness, however slight, isn't something I desire. The brake and clutch pedals replaced the rubber covers, so those haven't changed position at all. Placing this on top of the plastic accelerator would add thickness.
  • The contour of the accelerator is slightly different than the Sparco pedal cover, meaning that the rubber inserts that add grip would be allowed to "sink" into the pedal a bit in the middle.
  • The size of the existing accelerator pedal is almost identical to the add-on pedal I have, but the bottom right corner of the plastic pedal would show as viewed from the driver seat. To me, that's just not a clean installation.
  • If I ever decide to remove the pedal set and return to stock, the rubber covers for the brake and clutch pedals will hide any holes drilled for the install. The same is not true for the gas pedal.
So, while I realize most pedal covers, including these, can just be screwed to your gas pedal, IMHO it looks ghetto and would not give me the look I want in my car.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 AM
the look ithink is negligable. not too many people are gonna dog u or even nptice that the pedals arent showcar quality. but i understand ur dilema. im just concered about getting better feel from my pedals.plus... sparco corsa= $33 from racinglabs.com! better than $79 + for some others that i shall not name.

yes, there is very little leg room, i am not wanting the pedals closer. i was saying that they have bad positioning all togerther, in accordance to the driver seat too. but this is not a race or even sports car, so i cant complain much. i think the bit of thinkness you would get from screwing on aftermarket pedals to the accelerator would feel better in relation to the brake pedal, just my thought. may find otherwise after install. mines goin on tuesday!!!