Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Metra Double din dash kit = :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Metra Double din dash kit = :(

First off I wanna say Crutchfield was awesome with getting the right dask kit and getting it to me within only a couple days...
The kit I got was the metra kit for single or double din head units
One thing that was nice was the color was matched very well, prob cant tell in the pictures because of the flash but it looks good on the color side.
Fitment once in the car I was a little disappointed with.
Is anyone else with double din having fitment issues?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
that's normal for all the larger size dash kits. fit and finish is never 100% perfect. The scoche kit is alot worse in fitment. The lower side section in pic2 looks alot more like you lost some clips and that area is missing one.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I had my 2 din DVD unit installed by a shop. They initially used the Metra kit. One look after installation convinced me I had the wrong dash kit. Dash fitment was good along the clips although the DVD did not fit flush around the nose gasket. It stuck out and looked awful. The gasket moved and had gaps around the DVD unit. I made them replace the Metra kit with the Souche kit. Although the nose issue was solved, I now have a dash fitment problem in the upper right hand corner (small gap) near where a clip attaches to the dash. Looks like the clip is not attached in that area but who knows. I will deal with it later. I lost all confidence in the shop and accepted it for now.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 PM
the scoche kit does work better for head uit fitment with double din units. But the dash fitment is off. It's not the shop, it's the kits.

The metra kit with some double din units is a PITA. You can't use the metra supplied trim ring, and in many cases the trim ring provided with the head units won't fit or just plain looks ugly.

It's a fixable problem with a good installer and an oxtra hour worth of time to tilt and space forward the double din unit.

But in most cases.. tell the customer that and they expect it free.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 AM
This weekend I installed my Pioneer single DIN head unit using the Metra kit. All I can say is that the Metra is a total POS, so I can only imagine how bad the Scoche kit is.

The plastic clips that hold the head unit in are too weak, and the HU sags, causing the trim ring to stick out, and possibly pop off.

I am VERY disappointed, and will probably be returning this kit to Crutchfield. I guess it's time to start trying to find the South American Honda piece...

Jonesie

Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
I tried both kits with my single din install, Scoche is definitely a better piece, even with the slight fitment issue in the upper right corner. I'd love a DD headunit, but I like the idea of a removeable face on the single din for security purposes.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
def dont like that look

Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
my dash kit sticks out like that too a little bit.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
My metra kit with double-din Kenwood looks just about like yours as far as fitment.

I wasn't too happy either, but it seems to be the norm.

I don't think it would be possible to design a kit that would fit like the stock stuff, unfortunately.

Oh well, it's good for my antiperfectionist therapy.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
I used the Metra kit to install a JVC double din DVD....The trim ring works fine but there is a wavy gap along the top where the kit meets the dash that I cant fix...I only paid 39 bucks for the kit so I cant complain