Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

replacing stock speakers, not sure what to get.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
replacing stock speakers, not sure what to get.

Ok, the Alpine 9887 is just too much for the stock speakers. I listen to Rock pretty much all the time and the spekers are on the distortion limit 90% of the time lol.

So I was looking to see what everyone was running as far as factory replacements for the doors. The tweeters seem to work fine so I didn't plan on replacing them. Any thought on what you guys are running would be appreciated.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:07 PM
if your looking for good sound quality go with MB Quart's thay are nice for the money

Old 06-15-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same headunit, just installed Infinity Kappas in all 4 doors, sounds awesome. For less you could get away with Infinity Reference speakers as well, I had Reference's in my truck with the same head unit and it sounded about the same.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Infinity

Infinity (and JBL) speakers are great OEM replacements... they sound great and run at 2-ohms which makes them play louder than most 4ohm aftermarket units... I've owned everything from MBQuart to Polk Audio to Alpine Type-X and think the Infinity's are great for "musical" music like rock or anything vocal, and when you pair them with a sub/amp it's great as far as sound quality...

Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
I have the same headunit, just installed Infinity Kappas in all 4 doors, sounds awesome. For less you could get away with Infinity Reference speakers as well, I had Reference's in my truck with the same head unit and it sounded about the same.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
i like focals, right now im running ED components and they are alright. good sound for the buck in the front. i just put some type s alpines coaxials in the rear.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
I have Infinity Kappa subs in my truck and really like the Infinity stuff so I was leaning towards the Kappa's. Do you have yours amped at all?

Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Mine were just running off the Alpines built in amp. In my truck where I had the Reference speakers, I was running a cheap amp and bypassing the Alpines internal, sounded great. if I were to buy speakers again, i would probably save some $ and just get the reference speakers, they sounded the same to me as the Kappas do.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Good deal, thanks for the info.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
I tried the Infinity Reference but found that the sound was very harsh. I ended up with JL C5 6.5 components and they are extremely clear with excellent mid bass. You'd need an amp to push them, though.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm partial to Boston Acoustics. The basic models start at $80.00 for a pair of 4" with tweeters built in... If i were you I would start at the model above the basics (the "S" model is the base model)

The SX is the middle end, the SL's are the high end.. and from there there are some really expensive "PRO" models.

My current 4" speakers are the boston "S" model line and they sound fantastic, very crisp and detailed, Vocals are great and not hissy, and go very loud before hitting distortion. Just get some base blockers. My next speakers will probably be boston "SX" series. About $150 for a pair of 4" speakers.

I have kenwood Excelon 6x9's and I hate them (a $300 pair), they are horrible with punchy bass and have very bad tweeters built in, dont go kenwood.

I guarantee you will not walk away disappointed with bostons.

Last edited by boon4376; 07-30-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:56 AM
Focal Polyglas 165V1's for the front and 165cv1's for the rear. very efficient absolute best bang for the buck sound quality off hed unit power. Also make sure to sound deaden your doors a little bit.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Arrow Crisp speakers for vocals?

My issue is that I listen to a lot of classical music in the car (I sing with the Boston Pops!), and I need speakers that are ultra-crisp, and not "bass-y" at all.

I've always heard good things about Boston Acoustics, as boon4376 has said, they have good vocal replication.

Would the BA speakers work for my purposes, basically listening to rehearsal and audition music.

Also, would I need a subwoofer? (it doesn't seem like I would, but I'm not sure.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Stadol
Would the BA speakers work for my purposes, basically listening to rehearsal and audition music.

Also, would I need a subwoofer? (it doesn't seem like I would, but I'm not sure.)
Yes, they will, and a sub woofer will really complement the set. You dont need a big one either, just a $200 sub from best buy and a kicker 150watt amp (do not cheap out on the amp, it will make or break the sound quality) is all you would need for great sound (no gangster rap window rattle thanks) .. Thats my set up by the way and I am completely happy with it. (infiniti basslink would also work well) Really give the music a full feeling with out stressing the smaller speakers and causing distortion.

I recommend going with at least the SX if your really discerning about any distortion in the vocals.

(and no i dont work for boston, i am just really really impressed with the quality i got from their speakers)

Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boon4376
Yes, they will, and a sub woofer will really complement the set. You dont need a big one either, just a $200 sub from best buy and a kicker 150watt amp (do not cheap out on the amp, it will make or break the sound quality) is all you would need for great sound (no gangster rap window rattle thanks) .. Thats my set up by the way and I am completely happy with it. (infiniti basslink would also work well) Really give the music a full feeling with out stressing the smaller speakers and causing distortion.

I recommend going with at least the SX if your really discerning about any distortion in the vocals.

(and no i dont work for boston, i am just really really impressed with the quality i got from their speakers)
Thanks boon, this is exactly the information that I was looking for. I definitely do not want the "bone-rattleing, hear me from 4 blocks away" experience. (Although, booming down the street with some Mozart might be a trip!)

There is a Tweeter store just down the street from me (and a Best Buy as well)....I'll start pricing the subwoofer and the amp this weekend!

Cool beans, man!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
I'll say it again, Focal Polyglass 165V1's. they are not "bassy" but will cleanly reproduce the low notes that are supposed to be there. For the price you will not find a better performing speaker.

If you want to go with a really high end set then you have alot of options. But the 165V1's one's perform better than any speakers in their comparable price range and even outperform alot of more expensive sets.

I Install Alumapro, CDT, MB Quart, Infinity and Focals often and by far you just ca't go wrong with the Focals.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
If you go with Focals (model mentioned above or JL Audio (C5-650), and utilize at least a 6.5", you probably won't need to deal with a sub. Both have far more linearity than the Boston.

Last edited by radareclipse; 08-03-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
My vote is for Phoenix Gold; I did my Jeep with PG's, they are freaking amazing quality and produce unbelievable sound. I have personally run Alpine components, Clarion (Back when they had the pro-audio line) and Kicker, also had the opportunity to hear some high end MB quartz (my friend was sponsored by them about 4 years ago)... all great products, but after everything I still think PG's are better. Admittedly they cost a few extra bucks though.

Never had a chance to hear Focal components, I remember they have some interesting designs with size and magnet setups.

PG all the way!!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-03-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Well currently as things go Focal wins the most sound quality competitions in IASCA. Second and third are CDT and JL audio.

There's a reason I tend to push Focal alot. I've been to St. Ettiene France and seen how they make the speakers. Every car speaker is tester in all 3 of their model cars testing spakers in different mounting locations and vehicle sizes. If anything isn't up to par they scrap it.

When I was there (tour around europe with my wife, just had to stop there) They were making the K2P component set and were working on the woofer pitch. in the 1 day I was there, they scrapped and changed the pitch of the woofer 3 times to make it right. They are a speaker company and only speakers. Everything is engineered, tested and manufactured in house. Not designed on a computer and sent off to China with a spec sheet to be built for as cheap as possible (Alpine, Infiity, JBL, Phoenix gold, Kicker, Memphis and many more).

Focals lower end speakers easily outperform almost an speaker that costs even $100 more. Once getting into the high end stuff stuff, the field levels out a little more with CDT's high end speakers(almost twice the the price of Focal btw), also JL, Rainbow audio.

Really I suggest you go find a local retailer that has Focals and demo them. Bring your favorite CD and to A/B comparisons with their other brands highest end stuff. you'll suprise the beans out of yourself.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
well injundon, you've sold me, those will probably be my next

Old 08-03-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
I concur on the Focals. CDT doesn't have much midbass thou. I sold them for years in the 90's when they were the original Clif Designs. Hertz is another brand to look at but only at about $500 and up. Focal has a great component I think starting at $350 and of course they go up to $3500. JL excels at $550 and $850 for theirs.

Injundon is right about Alpine, Infiity, JBL, Phoenix gold, Kicker, Memphis and many more.......Polk, Boston, etc.

Quick Reply: replacing stock speakers, not sure what to get.