Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Anyone hardwired power into Sirius Car dock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Question Anyone hardwired power into Sirius Car dock?

Looking to put a Sportster 5 into my new 09 Fit Sport AT. and I don't want wires all over the dash , I will probably use the Aux input for connection to the Stock Stereo . I had put a non docking unit in my old 95 Civic
but the fuse panel wiring is So much different in the Fit.
Any help would be appreciated . ( I really don't want to pay the installers $ 150 to put it in ) which is essentially what they would be charging . They quoted me a price of about $330 installed for a unit that costs @ 150 at sirius's website .

Old 11-29-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I hard wired my XM Pioneer Inno dock to my 09 Fit. It was no problem at all.

I had to obtain two things...a fuse tap and a power converter for the dock.

This is the fuse tap I found at Pep Boys...
Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse: Automotive

You pull a fuse that's switched on with the key (like the radio) and put that fuse in the tap, with a second fuse for the XM. Then push the black housing with the two fuses into the old radio fuse spot in the fuse box.

I went online to XMfanshop.com and bought a 12v to 5v converter for my XM's power. This is a specific part for this task.

XMFanStore 5v Hardwire Power Supply for MyFi, Inno, RoadyXT, Xpress

I connected the + wire of the converter to the red wire on the fuse tap. There is a - wire on the converter I attached to a bolt on the console support under the accessory plug to ground it.

I removed the console and ran the power behind the radio and into the spot in front of the shifter. I also ran the antenna to the same spot, running it under the carpet, to the spare tire area then in the rubber molding in the hatch and it sits right behind the stock antenna.

It took about two hours start to finish. I mounted the XM dock on a cup holder mount.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Thumbs up Thanks Satchel !

I still have to buy my set up , probably going with the Sportster 5 , I like the dial navigation . Thanks for all the tips on Installation .I will probably try to mount the unit on the left hand dash , over near the sail panel . I emailed Proclip folks that do not have an A pillar bracket yet , like they have for the 07-08's .I looked at a pdf file , they said to separate the antenna wire and power wires coming from the docking station , it sounds like sending wires everywhere and that's something I wish to avoid .
Really appreciate it . TB.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Thumbs up Got mine installed the other day ! yeah !

The guy that did it put the radio in on the provided suction cup mount on the "vent" window then hid the wires in the A panel and ran the power wire to the fuse box using the 12v to 5 v converter and then ran the audio across to the Aux input . I had him drill a very small hole in the dash near the corner of the glovebox . I was able to put a small rubber grommet in around the wire . Looks minimal and professional . He ran the Antenna wire under the driver side trim through the spare tire area and up thru the trunk light area and then around the weather stripping and onto the back of the hatch . Everything works super . He also put me an "always on " 12v accessory power outlet in the upper glove box to charge my garmin and cell phone .
I'm all set for tunes .