Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

How can I fit a 2005 model CD player to a 2003 model Jazz (prize awaiting winner)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Smile How can I fit a 2005 model CD player to a 2003 model Jazz (prize awaiting winner)

Hi all,

Before you leave this post and say it's already covered, it ain't, My problem is not the stereo fitting but the heater controls at the bottom. PLUS THERE IS A PRICE FOR THE PERSON THAT CAN HELP ME OUT (NOT BE MISSED ALOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM WANT THIS PRIZE).

Basically I have bought the following unit without the auto climate control buttons (see pic).

But the bottom part of my Jazz has the three rotary dials with the AC (similar to bottom part of pic).

But I have the old cassette unit. Now I know I can fit the CD using a simple fascia change bought from Honda.

But I don't want to do that simple job. What I want to do is buy the auto climate control buttons, and adjust the wiring behind the old model to work with the elctrica buttons. So cahnging it from rotary dial to auto climate control.

Now I have checked with Honda, but as usual, because they will be losing business, they don't wanna know. But I have got the workshop manual with installation diagrams and wiring diagrams, and compared both models to find they are very similar.

Now what I need to know is if I buy the buttons can I just disconnect the wiring from, lets say the AC button on the old model and connect it to the new button, and the same with all the other wiring?

Think of it logically, Car manufatcurers design the car so that it only needs minor adjustments to change it from rotary dial to auto climate control. They have to keep the costs low, so I refuse to believe that it is completely different behind the dash.

All that would be different is say a wiring loom or a couple of extra connections needed.

Ultimately changing my 2003 model jazz into 2005 model for £200.

***The person that will help me get to the bottom of this and solve the problem will get the Honda Workshop manual on CD. This is used in the Honda garages by the mechanics and has schematics and wiring diagrams, troubleshooting, servicing engine, etc. You name it it's in there. And it has step by step guides on how to fix everything that goes wrong with the car, bar replacing parts. And it covers 2003-2005 model Jazz/Fit. It will save you a lot of money and keep your Jazz in top condiion at all times.***

I eagerly await your knowledgable answers :-)

Old 02-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Abbizle,

I don't have an answer for you but I think this is a great question and I hope you are successful with your project. I'm sure there are a lot of people that wouldn't mind updating to the auto climate control, esp if it can be done for a reasonable price.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I don´t think the modification you´re planning to do is very easy. In the first place, the manual controls don´t just hook up the same way as the electronic ones. Wou will probably need to replace a whole lot more than just the controls. Anyway, I wish you luck and don´t forget to tell us how you made the change, if it is indeed possible

Old 02-10-2006, 11:27 PM
i build dashboards for a living, albeit for the chrysler 300 series and dodge magnum/charger respectively- and to be honest, i think you might be able to just switch em. i wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't, but the way ours are set up, there are only two different sets of plugs for six different configurations of the heating controls.

so maybe it'll work... but probably it wont sorry if that wasn't any help.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Well, that gives me some confidence, I've already ordered the AC buttons, but I think it'll work. It's the cheapest car in the Honda range, so it should have a universal setup like with the cvhrysler and just change a few plugs. The most I will need is the wiring loom from a 2005 model heating control. So far this is how much it has cost me:

2005 CD Player with Auto Climate Control fascia ----- £70
Set of Climate control buttons ----- £50
Wiring Loom ----- £????/£100 (maybe)

The best thing to do is find the parts you are looking for from a salvage yard. I got the set of buttons from there, the cd player from ebay and I suppose I can get hold of the wiring loom for the same set of buttons as well from the salvage place.

So if it works, then 2005 model auto climate control with cd player for just over £200.

Anyway, please continue providing your ideas and input, as when and if this project is complete, I will post the details of how to do it on this forum.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:28 AM
now, i'm not sure what you're referring to as the wiring loom, but if it's the same thing as what we call the wiring harness, which essentially is all the wiring inside the dashboard, you're looking at one hell of a job. because albeit, there are only two different types of plugs for the a/c heating system, but we're talking like 9 different types of wiring harnesses and they all look almost identical. infact, it's one of the most dreaded jobs on the line because of it's difficulty. of course, no one is expecting you to complete this job in 45 seconds or less, but hey man, i did it once for a day and i absolutley hated it. AND the exterior of the dashboard wasn't even on it yet, nor the vents or heatshielding or soundproofing. i really hope this loom you're referring to isn't what i think it is... maybe i can get a picture of what i'm talking about and post it up for you... i'm not at work until monday but we'll see about it... also it's technically corporate espionage if i do take a picture... but oh well.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Well I'm refering to the master plug that has all the wiring coming out of it into the back of the dashboard. All I need to do is get the other side of the plug that will have the wiring going into the back of the fascia panels and connecting to the buttons.

If I can't do that I'll just have the same colour wire attach to the same colour wire in the back of the fascia, making sure the wire is doing the same job via the schemetic diagrams.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I am pretty sure that isnt going to work. If you have manual controls, they use cables to adjust many of the items and not any electronics at all. You will need to pull the whole dash and replace the complete heating/cooling system with the complete electronic setup. I have tried this on late 90s VWs and its not as simple as adding buttons. Manual and electronic climate controls are complete different animals.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:30 AM
With out going into the complexities of the modicfication nor the cost, your parts list is lacking for the total conversation. Even without going into 'small parts' needed for the job you don't have all the parts.

One error I can see immediately is the lack of LCD display that is on the climate control version. This display is not part of the CD/radio.

Secondly, beling electronic climate control, the system will have temperature sensor somewhere in the dash board sending the temperature back into the climate control sytem, to be able to 'maintain the climate'.

Thirdly, the behind the dash unit of the analogue and climate control systems are totally different. The Climate control has only electrical plugs, whilst the analogue has hard wires and plugs.

Bottom line, changing all the fascia parts will look right but not work right un-less you have the behind the dash control module of the climate control version.

I would never take on a large job like this without some sort of 'proper' research.... If you have spent your £5 on ebay and have one of the workshop manuals in your hand and still cannot work out it is not as easy as you think, then I don't think your competance in Car electrics is advanced enough to take on this job.

Good Luck!

Al.