Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Preparing to Deaden; Removing Front Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Preparing to Deaden; Removing Front Seats?

I wasn't too sure where to put this, so it's going here!

I'm getting ready to do some full on deadening in my Fit, the first step to building my system. This is great for me because I've had my 08 Fit for nearly a year and I haven't done a single thing to it! But after toooons of research I now know, for the most part, whats going to happen on the inside.

Back to the topic. I plan on removing all the seats in order to completely cover the floor with Dynamat. The rears don't seem to be anything crazy, and the fronts are always simply. But I remembered the other day about our side airbags in the front seats. How do I go about removing the seats without throwing an airbag light? I was told the best way is to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and unplug the seats as I remove them. Not starting the car with the airbag plugs unplugged should ensure that I will not throw a light.

How correct is this?

Old 07-05-2009, 04:43 PM
thats a sound plan good luck with the dynamat

Old 07-05-2009, 04:58 PM
HID Addict
yes unplugging the battery and leaving it unplugged wont allow the air bags to blow. im doing this when i have to remove the front pillar to wire a radar detector up there. but be warned, once you plug the batter back in, you have to put in your radio code. so have that on hand before you start your project, other than that, good luck on your project

Old 07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
yes unplugging the battery and leaving it unplugged wont allow the air bags to blow. im doing this when i have to remove the front pillar to wire a radar detector up there. but be warned, once you plug the batter back in, you have to put in your radio code. so have that on hand before you start your project, other than that, good luck on your project
Cool, thanks for confirming what I thought. And a big thank you for the tip on the radio code! I didn't even think of that!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:18 PM
HID Addict
no problem, if you don't have it, you can call your dealer i think. not sure how recoverying a lost code works, but it shoudnt be hard :]

Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
no problem, if you don't have it, you can call your dealer i think. not sure how recoverying a lost code works, but it shoudnt be hard :]
Just in case...

https://radio-navicode.honda.com/

Old 07-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I started this evening after getting back from finally having the tint done! I started in the back, to the right of the spare well, pulling off the lower panel. I didn't anticipate that it would take so much Dynamat, just that section alone I used about 15 square feet. Is it possible to use too much? I'm assuming as long as the fitment of the panels is fine that I shouldn't have a problem.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by MetalFit630
Thanks for the replies guys. I started this evening after getting back from finally having the tint done! I started in the back, to the right of the spare well, pulling off the lower panel. I didn't anticipate that it would take so much Dynamat, just that section alone I used about 15 square feet. Is it possible to use too much? I'm assuming as long as the fitment of the panels is fine that I shouldn't have a problem.
i dont see how u could use too much. but like you said, your gonna need a decent amount. so id try to use it sparingly to save some dough.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:24 PM
I get the stuff dirt cheap through work, so I'm not too concerned about price. I can't think of a reason why there could be too much, except for fitment issues. I'll be buying some pillow stuffing to do the cavities that I wanted to spray expanding foam in. I realized the foam might not be a good idea, as I know how much it sucks if you try to get it out.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 AM
please post some pic when it's done.

thx

Dayak

Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Dayak Man
please post some pic when it's done.

thx

Dayak
Yup, will do. You have to be patient though, I'm not doing it all in one big batch. I can only buy one box per pay check!