Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

how the @#$% do you get this out!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
how the @#$% do you get this out!?!?!?

it is finally time for me to switch out my stock radio for the the scosche kit i bought as well as my kdc-x693 headunit i bought. i have started taking out my oem dashkit and made it pretty far. i removed the panel under the glove box, the glove boy itself, those 3 control wires for the hvac, the 2 bolts deep inside the stereo from underneath and the 2 electrical conections to the hvac. i am now up to the point in which i must remove the dashkit itself.

the big question is HOW THE @#$% DO I GET THIS OUT!?!?! i have pulled and pulled and i have gotten is a 1/8" inch gap at the bottom right. the rest of it refuses to budge. when i pull on it the hvac control seem to bend and want to break and the unit as a whole makes a very ominous creaky i want to break noise.

i cant figure out for the life of me as to what im doing wrong. from what i can tell all connections are undone and i have followed all instructions to a t. i have read thst this thing can be a bitch to remove but there is NO WAY that it can be this difficult. i must have done something wrong.

any ideas guys?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Someone help the man out I would hate to see another ruined dash

Please don't what the dealer did to ricohman!
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...ed-my-car.html

Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 AM
I have an 09, but I gave a description of where the press-tabs for the surround are for it here (post 5): https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post677679

This is a thread specifically about pulling the HU for an 08, so it might also give some clues specific to your issue.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 AM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
just keep pulling...

Old 07-07-2009, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
I used my panel puller w/ a shop towel to do a little stratigic "prying" on the right-side of OEM radio dash and kept pulling (& pulling) until all 7 clips released (2 on each side and 3 @ the top).

The OEM radio dash had some notches where I pryed, but I figured I wouldn't be using it again anyway. I was careful not to scratch the dash though.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
I did mine back in december 08. I read the threads/forums and figured after all the exterior screws were off that it would just snap-off. However, on my particular radio (07 sport) it was screwed down from the inside to 2 metal hanger mounts to what I believe was the actual frame. These were impossible to reach without scraping up my wrists and I had to use a tiny ratchet to take them off. I took out my glovebox to get a better look from the right, but that left side was a blindspot which left me to a lot of look and feel for the bolt. Good luck, byfar the biggest PITA for me on this car so far was doing this.

Last edited by heymikesays; 07-07-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
DO NOT KEEP PULLING!!! i listened to everyones advice and kept pulling. i ended up with a gap at the bottom...and nothing else budging. very simular to yours. turns out, i bent the brackets that the cd player was mounted on and it wedged the whole unit up which wouldnt allow any of the clips to pull out. i ended up having to have to take the whole dash apart to get inside...

dont pull on the bottom. it looks like your running into the same problem i had. try comming in from the right side see how that works.

edit - just noticed that thread that guy posted was mine... haha

Last edited by MetalHead88; 07-08-2009 at 09:17 AM.