Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Head Unit Question

Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Head Unit Question

I have a 2010 fit sport with the stock head unit ( non-navi) and under adjustments for bass, treble etc, it has a subwoofer adjustment knob. does this mean you don't need a line out converter? Because that should mean the head unit has RCA outs on the back...

Another Question... Would it be worth it to change from stock HU to Alpine idax-300 and lose CD player, just for an easier switch to subwoofer and better sound quality? looking for opinions. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
If you are going to change the HU change the speakers the stock unit is designed around itself. Example is my current system in in the works, only delayed by time at this point, and I have to install my front components and amp for them still. I am running my Alpine HU on the stock speakers and they are distorting out easily and it's not the amp in the HU cause its probably at most 30w per channel.

So if you are going to replace the HU just do yourself the favor and replace the stock speakers they are ok, but you would probably be more happy with aftermarket speakers.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I plan to replace the speakers eventually, but right now I don't have the money to do that. I'm basically looking for the most cost efficient way to get more bass, whether that means buying a line out converter, or a dash kit to install my head unit.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm also interested

Old 05-12-2010, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
If you want bass then add an amp/sub. A lot of amps have speaker level input so you can tap into the rear speakers for signal to the amp. Another option is to use a line converter so you can use rca.If you don't have the money then upgrade in stages. Like you could add the amp/ sub then hu when you have more money.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Kit/Harness and antenna adapter are $55 on Ebay, that's the Metra kit which requires no modifications to fit. A standard line out converter will be around $15-$25 and honestly is usually a bad choice, they are very prone to noise and usually are a poor alternative to doing a full headunit swap. The line out converter will work don't get me wrong but if you are in anyway expecting to get a better quality sound then it's not the right choice.

Adding an amp in these cars is pretty easy, they come apart simple and don't require a lot of tools or skill. A simple socket set, screw drivers and other common tools are all you really need. A panel puller would be helpful but not necessary.

After having my subs and sub amp in for a few days now and running my stock speakers off my Alpine HU it's very apparent to me the stock speakers are not that good of quality. I didn't expect them to be but just making that clear for those who want to upgrade the HU and use stock speakers. I would replace the front speakers with the HU the rears aren't as important but a nice set of coaxials will work fine in the rear doors. You could prolly upgrade the front components for around $120 and rear coaxials for around $75 depending on brand and purchase location (aka ebay etc.).

Overall the HU swap is pretty easy, it took me longer to put the kit together and install the new unit than to remove the factory one it was very easy though. I have seen some PITA factory HUs to remove, but this is not the case here. I will be doing my front components this weekend so can't comment on the difficulty of speaker replacement yet however if it's any indication by the ease of everything so far they should be pretty simple also.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
How many RCA outputs are in the 2009 stock HU? I have recently acquired a pair of subs and an amp (actually 2 amps but I think only one is needed o_o) but no money to get them installed professionally >_>

Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM
There are no RCA outs on the stock head unit.

If you can afford it, I would strongly recommend a head unit swap. That IDA looks pretty sweet! Then you are not limited in your amplifier choices - really good ones generally don't have speaker-level inputs.

However, you said "the most cost effective bass" - and that would be an amp or powered sub (infinity, bazooka tube) with speaker level inputs.

I'm not sure what volume fit4spl is trying to achieve out of the stock speakers, but I have been running them off an aftermarket head unit for 8 months now, and never get distortion until it's far too loud. The sound quality increased dramatically between the stock and aftermarket head unit, despite having the same speakers.

That being said, my SPX-17pro components and pdx4.100 are on their way right now.

- careful with car audio, I'm finding it quite addictive!

Old 05-14-2010, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
My Alpine headunit has LOTS of features, including a 6band eq and much more. So in that sense I was tweaking what honda didn't intend to really tweak on the factory speakers. Also if you look in my build log you can see a picture of the factory mid from the front door, its pretty sad looking, not even heavy enough to hurt if you flung it wildly at someone.

I would like I said upgrade the HU and stock speakers its really the best alternative if you want more out of the stereo.

Panda, with patience, tools and good common sense you can install your own stereo you can use my log as a small guide and you can also ask questions here as many will be willing to help.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by bikethis
There are no RCA outs on the stock head unit.

If you can afford it, I would strongly recommend a head unit swap. That IDA looks pretty sweet! Then you are not limited in your amplifier choices - really good ones generally don't have speaker-level inputs.

However, you said "the most cost effective bass" - and that would be an amp or powered sub (infinity, bazooka tube) with speaker level inputs.

I'm not sure what volume fit4spl is trying to achieve out of the stock speakers, but I have been running them off an aftermarket head unit for 8 months now, and never get distortion until it's far too loud. The sound quality increased dramatically between the stock and aftermarket head unit, despite having the same speakers.

That being said, my SPX-17pro components and pdx4.100 are on their way right now.

- careful with car audio, I'm finding it quite addictive!
Yep, you can get a decent all around head unit for $100-200, and crutchfield throws in a dash kit and everything. Took me about 3 hours to install a nice Sony deck with HD Radio and iPod support...fairly easy too.