2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Stock head unit: how much power does it have?

Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Stock head unit: how much power does it have?

The literature from Honda says the stereo is a 160W system, but I can't find anywhere what that really means, if that is peak or RMS or what. I'm thinking about replacing the speakers in my 2013 Fit but I'd like to know how much power the stock head unit would give each one. Does anyone know how much power the stock head unit actually delivers to each door speaker?

I'm looking at 2 pairs of Polk db651s's, which have an RMS rating of 6-55 watts, which makes me think they may do OK without an aftermarket amp. I've never done any car audio stuff though, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

I don't know if I'll get a big improvement by just replacing the speakers or if I really have to amp them to get anything cool to happen. Trying to minimize expenses here... I can tell you that I am definitely adding a subwoofer. I already bought one but haven't gotten an amp since I don't know if I should get a 5 channel for whole system or just mono.

Thanks for any help

Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 AM
I would guess that it's 40 W/ch RMS at some relatively high but not completely unreasonable distortion level and some (probably lowish) speaker impedance; I don't know that I've seen the actual technical specifications, though. It should be sufficient to drive these speakers, at least at moderate volume levels; they don't look to be particularly inefficient speakers, perhaps even better than the stock ones.

Bear in mind that volume is measured on a logrithmic scale—doubling the power is a 3 dB increase in volume.

I've heard here that the stock head unit has a built-in equalization/filter circuit tailored to the stock speakers that quite distinctly rolls off the bass and treble. I also don't think it has a preamp output. For these reasons, you may want to also replace it when you replace your speakers. I suspect a head (with reasonable 4 channel amplification) and a single-channel amp for the subwoofer would be the best route with a moderate budget, most likely better than the factory head + a five channel amp.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
i wouldn't think the stock head unit would run 40 watts rms per channel. not even alot of aftermarket head units are running that. I would say its more like 40 watts peak per channel, 10+~ watts RMS per channel.

i have a Pioneer AVH-8400BH and its 50 watts peak / 14 watts rms per channel. Sound is much better than the stock head unit on stock speakers.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
I suspect a head (with reasonable 4 channel amplification) and a single-channel amp for the subwoofer would be the best route with a moderate budget, most likely better than the factory head + a five channel amp.
Very interesting idea, I haven't thought of that in all my hours of thinking and researching. Thanks for your response, Drew.

Well, I placed an order today for a few things, so here's is what I'm starting with:

Sony XM-1S Class D Monoblock Amp
Pioneer TS-SWX251 10" compact subwoofer
AudioControl LC2i
+ all of the wires and bits to put it all together

I definitely notice the bass roll-off, but I haven't noticed trouble with treble. In fact, usually the high pitches can get so loud that they can be the limiting factor as to how much I turn up the volume -- I failed to mention in my OP that I have the Sport version, which includes tweeters in the dash. The AudioControl should let me tap into the wires to the rear doors at the B pillars, then correct for bass roll-off in the signal to the amp for the sub.

I actually think the stock speakers sound decent, especially with the bass turned down. Once I have the new subwoofer up and running, I'll see if it adequately fills in the low end without being too obvious about it. If not, I'll add the Polk db651s cited in my OP, and if it still sounds off (I've heard about the factory EQ thing, too, but we'll see -- there are some adjustments that can be made in with the factory settings) then I'll consider an aftermarket HU. The reason I'm not so into that is that I like the integrated factory look, and it keeps it low-profile in terms of theft. Plus is sounds like a pain the glutes to try to hook up the steering wheel controls, USB input, and all that stuff.

If I end up adding the speakers and am not satisfied and decide that a new HU is out of the question, then my other option is a 5 channel amp. I'm thinking used or refurbished JL Audio XD700/5 paired with an AudioControl LCQ-1.

Anyhow, that's where I'm at. Thanks for your help. I'll make a post about what I've done and how it sounds as things come along.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I installed the Polk db651s not too long ago with a stock unit. Sound is improved, but the stock unit doesn't do these justice. I'll be ordering a Pioneer AVH-P4400 pretty soon, can't wait to hear them then!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow, just the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks! Please report back after the headunit is installed, I'm curious to see what that does for you. I was supposed to get my subwoofer stuff today but my shipments got delayed by the blizzard that came through here in Iowa yesterday. Dang!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 PM
For sure. I'll throw up some pics after the install.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Regarding the power of the stock head unit, I have to agree with xxryu139x

I've been looking at aftermarket head units, and it seems like 20 Watts per channel is relatively high, so Honda's claim that the factory head unit is 160 Watts has got to be peak power, not RMS.