Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Mounting locations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Mounting locations?

Is there anywhere to mount a sub in the Fit that doesn't compromise the cargo space? I had a factory sub in my Element, inside the center console. I don't have any desire to have the ear-melting bass of my misspent teen-years... just would love to have my sound rounded out a bit.

The only place that sorta comes to mind as being somewhat reasonable is under the back seat, but that would destroy the usefulness of the "Magic Seats"

Maybe just a better head unit and speakers with better response would be the answer... the Fit's stereo sounds dreadful if you turn the 'bass' setting anywhere over dead center... muddy and cheap.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 PM
The only place that isn't going to impact cargo space in some manner is inside the spare tire . . . but unless you ditch the spare completely it's a very limited amount of volume to play with. So say goodbye to anything bigger than 10", relatively long throw, or nice vented designs.

But there are some solid SQ subs available that work well in super small enclosures. For example, I've got an Elemental Designs SQ10 I'm putting in this summer. It apparently plays well with just .3 cubic feet, which is about all you can get from inside the donut. I measured .375 cubic feet of volume available on my GD, but that of course doesn't take into account the fiberglass or the driver itself. I'm still going to be relying on extra deep components in the front doors to take care of the lowest of mid-bass.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Or you can get a bass tube, like a bazooka and it will take up space but very little.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
great thread thats the same reason why i haven't put in a sub yet.

for the amp, i was thinking if its possible to place in the center back seat. i dont know if it will go all the way down when wanting to fold it.

for the sub, i was looking into a 10" bazooka tube, or a 12" box. bazooka will take up less space, but the box kicks hard, but taking up tons of space.

another option i considered is removing the spare and placing it on my roof rack =)
it fits in my basket perfectly. but i would have to make a custom box for it

Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
i think just changing the headunit will yield much nicer bass and overall better sound

Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
It's not worth it to lose any real cargo space... and I'm sure as hell not putting a 10 or 12 in there. An 8 with a small amount of power would do just fine. I listen to NPR most of the time - I don't need to hear Carl Kassel's speech booming like the voce of God! Just would be nice to have the sound rounded out a bit more.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone used one the JL stealthboxes? I used to be a JL dealer but the stealthboxes were pricey!! They always sounded good but getting the customer to agree to that much money for basically a sub and box was difficult. I recently just purchased an 08 sport and don't want to mess with building another box in spare tire well.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
It's not worth it to lose any real cargo space... and I'm sure as hell not putting a 10 or 12 in there. An 8 with a small amount of power would do just fine. I listen to NPR most of the time - I don't need to hear Carl Kassel's speech booming like the voce of God! Just would be nice to have the sound rounded out a bit more.
Doesn't sound like you need a subwoofer at all then . . . Start by upgrading your head unit - it's very possible you'll be completely satisfied by that. I was happy for almost a year (and still am), but the summer mod bug has caught me again.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah, not worth losing the space... I wish someone made a really compact 6.5 or even 8 powered unit that went in place f that little cubbie on the right side of te cargo area. The Element had a small 6.5 unit mounted in the console, and it was just right.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Bazooka makes sub tubes with amps as small as 6" units. BAZOOKA Mobile Audio - BTA6100 - BT Series 6 inch 100 watt Amplified Tube
Again they do take up space but not that much, if you are so concerned about space then true low end bass isn't for you.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
Bazooka makes sub tubes with amps as small as 6" units. BAZOOKA Mobile Audio - BTA6100 - BT Series 6 inch 100 watt Amplified Tube
Again they do take up space but not that much, if you are so concerned about space then true low end bass isn't for you.
Uh, yup. Already said that I'm looking for a bit of extra fill at the bottom of the spectrum to round out the sound from the speakers.

At one time, I had two 12"s and an 800 watt amp (with both sets of channels bridged) in my old Accord. It had no purpose but to be antisocial... no real need for that now that I'm not 19! In retrospect, it sounded awful - the bass was overpowering the treble by a ghastly degree. The level of midrange and treble needed to balance out that much bass would bring the sound to unlistenable levels, and I have occasional tinnitis to remind me that the volume knob goes both ways.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Occam
Yeah, not worth losing the space... I wish someone made a really compact 6.5 or even 8 powered unit that went in place f that little cubbie on the right side of te cargo area. The Element had a small 6.5 unit mounted in the console, and it was just right.
I agree with you. I too have an Element SC and for me the stock sound is just fine....I too am just looking for the same kind of sound in the FIT as my element....without some big box.....