Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

need help with stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:09 AM

Hi folks,
I've been searching through this and other forums educating myself on the finer point of car audio, but have a few question that I'd like to run past ya.

I'm looking for good sound quality for relatively little money - I listen to equal parts classical, folk, rock.

I'm thinking of going with:
kdc-x994 head (I need bluetooth)
Boston sr60 components in front - sourced from sonicelectronics.com
Leave rears alone
Boston gt-75 2 channel amp under drivers seat (small and has a fan)
Some type of powered sub in the back (bazooka or Powerwedge)

Probably do the install myself - been a while since I've had a project

My questions:
  • Am I crazy to put this much into a car that I park on the street, with stock alarm (in a pretty good area though)?
  • Will that amp be OK under the driver's seat in terms of space and heat?
  • Would I be better off going with a single 3-4 channel amp and running everything off that. That way I wouldn't have to deal with running power/ground/etc to two amps, but where can I fit a 4-channel that is not too expensive?

Any other comments would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help - I've already learned quite a bit on this forum

Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Well I can't address every question, but the amp under the seat will be a problem as there is very little clearence under the seat and you may feel it on your butt on bumps, also drilling through the floor under the seat should be done with GREAT care, gas tank located there. The HU is a nice unit, and you will find lots of ideas on the subwoffer here at fit freaks. Best of luch with your installation.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
For what it sounds like you want, I wouldn't just leave the stock back speakers a simple set of coaxials will work fine in that location. I would suggest a 5ch amp and a bass tube if you are wanting to conserve on hatch space. You can mount the amp to the back of the larger back seat with ease. (This is where I have my large amp mounted) One 4awg amp install kit with adding only more RCA's would be needed. As far as the alarm portion, that is only something you can answer is the crime/car break in's not bad or little to none in your area? Also with a low profile system something that doesn't "BOOM" you should be fine, however I would recommend a cargo cover to conceal your system.

This is important however, in order to help conceal your system install it either in a garage or at a different location than your home. This will keep local thieves from seeing you working on the car and installing a stereo. Second alert your insurance company to the stereo upgrades. Third document your install, take pictures of all equipment installed and put those pictures with your receipts somewhere safe. This will help greatly if you by some reason become a victim of theft.

I have done a full install on my car with the exception of my rear coaxials (I've been lazy). You can view my install log here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...stall-log.html

And if you have any questions just hit me up I have taken my fit apart already so if you don't know or can't figure out how to get a panel out just ask.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the replies - that helps. Your suggestion about a 5 channel amp makes sense, especially since I realized that I need to be able to remove the sub when I'm hauling things and it would be a pain to have to disconnect power, ground, etc. . .

I'd rather not mount to the rear of the back seat to interfere with cargo ability, but I did see someone on the forum mount underneath one of the rear seats - maybe I'll give that a try.

Also, Amazon is selling the PDX-5 for $350, but I've head of noise issues with PDX. If I skip amping the rears (but upgrade the speakers as you suggest), I could go with a JL XD400/4 or PDX-f4. . . hmm. .

Great info about insurance - I never thought of that. Your install log is going to help alot.
Thanks again

Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
This is the Alpine PDX-5 under the driver's seat:

There's a metal bar under the seat. You just need to mount it so you can move the seat back as far as you'd like. Amp powered BA Pro60 comps up front & BA coax SX 65 in rear & an affordable 10" JL sub in cargo area.

I currently have the JL HD 600/4 under the driver's seat now:

The amp is doing good (no problems so far). Currently have an Infinity Basslink with this amp.

Last edited by raton; 07-10-2010 at 07:28 AM.