Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Having problems setting up Steering Wheel Control on Navi

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Having problems setting up Steering Wheel Control on Navi

Hello,

I have been having problems with setting up the steering wheel control on my Honda jazz GD3. I have found that pin number 3 is the control pin and pin number 11 is ground for steering control, on the honda jazz plug.

the Satnav system i got is a chinese model from Erising Model number ES962D, Everything work perfectly except the steering control and the digital tv (which i could live without as we have rubish reception in the area)

Their guys from erising(or the ebay name erising88) told me to have the normal 12V + and - connected then connect the control pin to thier dedicated steering wheel control wire. Which I did.

When testing found that it didn't work.
I then got out the multimeter and tested the jazz's control pin when pressing any button or just left standing there is no voltage circulated, i then tested resistance which i found:
not depressed: 10.01K Ohms
Volume + : 0.36k Ohms
Volume - : 0.10k Ohms
Channel +: 1.69K Ohms
Channel -: 0.77K Ohms
Mode: 3.72

I then went ahead and tested the main ground pin and ACC pin. which showed
When car ignition is set to position one : 12.26 Volts
When car ignition is set to position two: 12.16 Volts.

Thinking that the battery mains and the steering control ground was the same i went ahead and checked. Which to my suprise they weren't
The steering wheel ground look to be not on the same ground circuit.

Also looking on my navi head unit the two wires for steering wheel control says Key1 - 5V and Key2 - 5V. I'm guessing the satnav system may need 5 volts or detects variable voltage levels, for assigning keys.

I hope someone would be able to give me an idea to pull this off.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mohala; 06-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
fixed

Hiya all sorry found out the next when testing connection from the honda plug to the iso and found it to be a broken pin which didn't make the connection. So now the steering wheel control is working correctly.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Mo

Old 03-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Question about steering wheel control

Hello Mohala. I have a Honda Civic Type S and I would like to buy an aftermarket head unit.The new HU has as yours, 2 cables.I would be gratefull if you told me how connect your head unit with the steering wheel control cables of your car, because the JAZZ and the Civic have the same buttons on steering wheel.How many cables has the steering wheel control of JAZZ?Is it a cable that you did not connect to the new head unit?Thanks a lot about your patience, sorry for my English and I am looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convinience.Good night.
e-mail: b.mixopoulos@gmail.com

Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Install

Originally Posted by VASILAKIS1983
Hello Mohala. I have a Honda Civic Type S and I would like to buy an aftermarket head unit.The new HU has as yours, 2 cables.I would be gratefull if you told me how connect your head unit with the steering wheel control cables of your car, because the JAZZ and the Civic have the same buttons on steering wheel.How many cables has the steering wheel control of JAZZ?Is it a cable that you did not connect to the new head unit?Thanks a lot about your patience, sorry for my English and I am looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convinience.Good night.
e-mail: b.mixopoulos@gmail.com

Hiya the head unit i brought is the Erising ES962D
link: Erising ES862A 6.2'' HDTV ATSC Car DVD Player - GPS - Padphone

The wires provided from the head unit are only two wires. One wire is 5V other they called ground.

How it works is it's a closed circuit where the steering wheel buttons have diffrent resistor levels and the HeadUnit see's the 5V drop certain levels.

All you have to do is connect the pins allocated.

Also what i did to make it a bit neater is by buying two honda Jazz ISO converter cables and what i did is pulled the wires out of one of them and feed to into the other ISO converter so there doesn't have to be any wire cutting .

Make sure to buy a Honda ISO converter.

Sorry i forgot Connect Key 1 to the control pin and connect the honda's control ground to the ground on the ISO converter.
I did this quite a while back and almost forgot about it

Last edited by mohala; 03-29-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Help Please

Hi I have simular problem I wondered if anyone can help. I bought Erising ES862UI. And I am trying to setup my controls to work from the steering stalk. I have a green and brown wire from the head unit that are supposed to be Key 1 and Key 2.

The ebay member told me it wont work on my car unless I buy a steering wheel adapter so I did. I have Peugeot 307 2004 and the adapter tells me it works for that car. The only difference is the adapter connector cable you choose must be for Sony/Pioneer/Kenwood named brands. So considering that I dont have top brand I chose one that had stereo jack lead which in turn stripped and had 2 wires inside. I connect 2 wires to the green and brown on head unit and the only thing I got working so far is every button on the stalk sends that same code. So every button will turn the volume up.

I tried disconnecting the crappy adapter and wire it in manually. When I connect the control wire from the iso lead and connect it to the green wire on the head unit it gets about 20 different codes at the same time without me pressing anything on the stalk.

Do you have to connect the ground cable of the stalk to the ground cable on the car i.e. the black cable to get it to work. I am so confused this should be a simple solutions but it is not.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by kiel2546
Hi I have simular problem I wondered if anyone can help. I bought Erising ES862UI. And I am trying to setup my controls to work from the steering stalk. I have a green and brown wire from the head unit that are supposed to be Key 1 and Key 2.

The ebay member told me it wont work on my car unless I buy a steering wheel adapter so I did. I have Peugeot 307 2004 and the adapter tells me it works for that car. The only difference is the adapter connector cable you choose must be for Sony/Pioneer/Kenwood named brands. So considering that I dont have top brand I chose one that had stereo jack lead which in turn stripped and had 2 wires inside. I connect 2 wires to the green and brown on head unit and the only thing I got working so far is every button on the stalk sends that same code. So every button will turn the volume up.

I tried disconnecting the crappy adapter and wire it in manually. When I connect the control wire from the iso lead and connect it to the green wire on the head unit it gets about 20 different codes at the same time without me pressing anything on the stalk.

Do you have to connect the ground cable of the stalk to the ground cable on the car i.e. the black cable to get it to work. I am so confused this should be a simple solutions but it is not.
What what i found out is that the two wires from the head unit (green and black) are for three wire systems but if you only have two wires coming from the car eg on is black and the other green (or any other color) then connect the colored wire from your steering colomb to the headunit (i connected the color one to Key 1) and then connect the other to a the common ground on the head unit.

What i did is i brought two of those adapters ripped apart one of them and used the connectors to put them into the plugs it meant for me that i didn't have cut any of the orginal honda plugs and wires.

I hope this help

Mo

P.S Try using that crappy adapter you were talking about and connect one to your common ground and the other to Key 1. I'am not sure about 307's but they may use some type of electroinc control like canbus. If you have time and a multimeter check the two wires from your steering wheel colomb (by using that crappy adapter) and set your multimeter to Ohms then hold down any button and see if a resistance reading pops up if so then you're ok and just follow what i have posted which is connect one of the wires to ground the other to key 1.

Last edited by mohala; 06-08-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Help Again Erising Please!

Thankyou for reply but still confused a bit.

First off the peugeot adapter I am talking about has iso connector and a module box thingie attached to it. I am not just talking about the iso connector but more so the module box that came with the adapter I bought. Here is the link: CLARION - PEUGEOT 206, 307 Steering Wheel Stalk Adaptor on eBay (end time 15-Jun-11 17:02:05 BST)

You state connect the other to common ground on the head unit. Do you mean the same ground that the whole car stereo is connected to i.e. at back of stereo you have red 12v yellow 12v and black (neg). Shall I connect the other wire from steering stalk to that black. Or do you mean connect the ground to head unit steering wheel wires green(key1) or brown(key2).

Does the steering stalk have to be earthed to work i.e. to -negative on the battery of the car.

Dont have multimeter. I can tell you that I connected the pink wire from car stalk to green wire on erising stereo steering control lead. When I tested without pressing any buttons on stalk the head unit recieved lots of codes at the same time. It said a073 a141 a255 flicking between those really fast. When I link this adapter module thing of mine and hotwire those connections I will push button on stalk vol up it will say a015 then I press vol down and a015 and then press skip track and guess what a015 which means every button is the same thing. Its turned into a 1 button stalk technically.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Thankyou for reply but still confused a bit.

First off the peugeot adapter I am talking about has iso connector and a module box thingie attached to it. I am not just talking about the iso connector but more so the module box that came with the adapter I bought. Here is the link: CLARION - PEUGEOT 206, 307 Steering Wheel Stalk Adaptor on eBay (end time 15-Jun-11 17:02:05 BST)

You state connect the other to common ground on the head unit. Do you mean the same ground that the whole car stereo is connected to i.e. at back of stereo you have red 12v yellow 12v and black (neg). Shall I connect the other wire from steering stalk to that black. Or do you mean connect the ground to head unit steering wheel wires green(key1) or brown(key2).

Does the steering stalk have to be earthed to work i.e. to -negative on the battery of the car.

Dont have multimeter. I can tell you that I connected the pink wire from car stalk to green wire on erising stereo steering control lead. When I tested without pressing any buttons on stalk the head unit recieved lots of codes at the same time. It said a073 a141 a255 flicking between those really fast. When I link this adapter module thing of mine and hotwire those connections I will push button on stalk vol up it will say a015 then I press vol down and a015 and then press skip track and guess what a015 which means every button is the same thing. Its turned into a 1 button stalk technically.
Yes the steering needs to be earthed for it to work (which is the negitive black wire):

how it works is:
Headunit produces 5V from Key 1 or 2
then when grounding it makes the loop
so that when you press a button on your steering wheel, then the headunit detects the approprate voltage drop and reacts to that.

But from a quick google search the 307 will be of a canbus control. which means you'll need to use the stalk and why the headunit is showing all kinds of reading (means can bus is digital and the headunit reading are analog lucky for jazz's it also analog)

only thing i can think of but YOU MUST be carefull. is connecting the phono socket to an headphone extention cord then stripping one end so you have the two wires (please note even though there is two wires within it there are a + and - wires ) then connect one of the wires to Key 1 and leave the other one to hang loose (just being cautuious incase the box has already done grounding) if that didn't work then connect the ground to the earthed ground as well to make the circuit. hopefully it might work.

If all that didn't work and you can't live with out the steering wheel control like me . The best thing I would do is to ask for a refund and go onto alibaba.com search for 307 GPS DVD, and you could find a perfect one which is a direct fit to your car without having to playaround with the wires and would be plug and play

Moh

Last edited by mohala; 06-08-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Ill try it later

I will try later to connect the steering stalk earth from the car to the earth of the car black and the key wire from stalk directly to the stereo head unit steering control Key 1 Green.

If that doesnt work I will try to reconnect my adapter module thingie and have 1 wire from the peugeot module adapter thing to the Erising stereo and the other negative from the peugeot module adapter will go to ground of car. I hope this is what you meant.

I'll keep you posted. And thanks for taking the time to help me.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM
yep

Yep that what I meant.

I hope to hear. how it goes.

Mo

Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 AM
LOL. Well what can I say I blew it up.

I tried the first thing connecting that ground to ground of car and the stereo constantly get a063 without me pressing anything.

Tried it the second way using the adapter thing connecting the ground and same thing one button does everything.

Then in a result of me changing wire and getting angre, one of the live wires slipped out my hand and touched the adapter ground and blew it up. Smoke came out of it and now I cant turn stereo on unless I remove adapter module thing.

As I have blown up this adapter thing and going to buy another one. If there is one you can recommend that might possible work I would buy it.

You mentioned the erising stereo is analogue steering controls instead of digital I wonder if there is an adapter that changes the peugeot 307 digital to analogue.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
LOL. Well what can I say I blew it up.

I tried the first thing connecting that ground to ground of car and the stereo constantly get a063 without me pressing anything.

Tried it the second way using the adapter thing connecting the ground and same thing one button does everything.

Then in a result of me changing wire and getting angre, one of the live wires slipped out my hand and touched the adapter ground and blew it up. Smoke came out of it and now I cant turn stereo on unless I remove adapter module thing.

As I have blown up this adapter thing and going to buy another one. If there is one you can recommend that might possible work I would buy it.

You mentioned the erising stereo is analogue steering controls instead of digital I wonder if there is an adapter that changes the peugeot 307 digital to analogue.
Ouch sorry to here it blow up but the steering stalk module u have is the thing which converts it to digital to analouge.

you might be happier with either these three links the first link has got TMC (traffic message channel) which if in case there is a road block or a problem in your planned route it will automatically re-route you. Also its for you year of model (1999-2005 models)

and the second and third you might like if you have one of those B/w screens on the dash you can change it with a color one.

Also note all of them are for ur 307 and have canbus ready for your steering wheel controls

6.5" LCD digital touch screen special car radio dvd gps for Peugeot 307 with ,RDS,BT,RATIO,TV products, buy 6.5" LCD digital touch screen special car radio dvd gps for Peugeot 307 with ,RDS,BT,RATIO,TV products from alibaba.com

peugeot 307 car dvd with gps, canbus steering wheel, great functionds and price~ products, buy peugeot 307 car dvd with gps, canbus steering wheel, great functionds and price~ products from alibaba.com

800*480Pixes car dvd with GPS/I-Pod For New Peugeot 307(PEG-7922GD) products, buy 800*480Pixes car dvd with GPS/I-Pod For New Peugeot 307(PEG-7922GD) products from alibaba.com

Last edited by mohala; 06-10-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 AM
I am not going to buy another stereo as already spent £250 so what I might do if you think it will work is buy an analog stalk universal and try to fit it in my steering column of peugeot then it will have 2 wires ground and live. The live ill get from the erising stereo steering wire and ground ill get from the car. I tested both those wires from erising stereo and both of them produce 5v so i think it should work. I think I can get a stalk for £60 what do you think.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 PM
yep

In my opinoin I would go ahead with it. and see if I can get it working.
good luck

Mo

Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by mohala
Hello,

I have been having problems with setting up the steering wheel control on my Honda jazz GD3. I have found that pin number 3 is the control pin and pin number 11 is ground for steering control, on the honda jazz plug.

the Satnav system i got is a chinese model from Erising Model number ES962D, Everything work perfectly except the steering control and the digital tv (which i could live without as we have rubish reception in the area)

Their guys from erising(or the ebay name erising88) told me to have the normal 12V + and - connected then connect the control pin to thier dedicated steering wheel control wire. Which I did.

When testing found that it didn't work.
I then got out the multimeter and tested the jazz's control pin when pressing any button or just left standing there is no voltage circulated, i then tested resistance which i found:
not depressed: 10.01K Ohms
Volume + : 0.36k Ohms
Volume - : 0.10k Ohms
Channel +: 1.69K Ohms
Channel -: 0.77K Ohms
Mode: 3.72

I then went ahead and tested the main ground pin and ACC pin. which showed
When car ignition is set to position one : 12.26 Volts
When car ignition is set to position two: 12.16 Volts.

Thinking that the battery mains and the steering control ground was the same i went ahead and checked. Which to my suprise they weren't
The steering wheel ground look to be not on the same ground circuit.

Also looking on my navi head unit the two wires for steering wheel control says Key1 - 5V and Key2 - 5V. I'm guessing the satnav system may need 5 volts or detects variable voltage levels, for assigning keys.

I hope someone would be able to give me an idea to pull this off.

Thanks in advance
Ah, so there IS a way to electrically adjust the steering on a Fit/Jazz. -Is a good digital VOM enough?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by BixLives
Ah, so there IS a way to electrically adjust the steering on a Fit/Jazz. -Is a good digital VOM enough?
I'm confused
what do you exactly mean by electrically adjust the steering?

Honda Jazz's are lucky that they don't use digital canbus on the steering wheel controls. So it makes it a 100x easyer as most chinese GPS double dins which have steering wheel control. These chinese systems produces a voltage. down one of the streeing wheel wires (while the other is grounded). And when you press the button the chinese double dins recognise voltage drops when a button is press.

When i was setting up my chinese double dins stereo I accedentaly broke the pin when i connected the plug , thats why it wasn't working.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 PM
The power steering is basically mechanical (hydrolic), however, these days, I suspect computer feedback servo control over this mechanism.

-yeah I'm a geek engineer.

Anyone replace the radio or speakers yet -Does Crutchfield have the goods?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Very intersting -it seems there IS a simple feedback voltage control over the steering!? I just want to stiffen it slightly so that breathing on it doesn't turn the wheels. Also, reducing the gearing ratio slighly would be fine. I am not Andy Granatelli!

Do people have ANY idea of how much petrol this engine wastes at low rpms? -0-60 in 7-8 seconds? Joseph and Mary, it's not a Porsche! 0-60 in 10-12 seconds is just fine. It would give an extra 4-5 MPG. This car WILL get 40 on the highway if you have the auto trannie, put the cruise control on and keep it around 55-60. --Not sure of optimum over-drive, but I think it's about 52-54 MPH. -That will get you the 41 MPG. So far (first 800 miles) I am getting 34-38 MPG combined, but I do about 60% highway driving at 65 MPH. 'Skay. My old Focus averaged 28-33 under same conditions. It is true that Honda and every other manufacturer except maybe Hyundai is purposely adjusting the computers to keep milage down. They do not want to meet the EPA congressional requirements too fast. A 1.5 liter Fit should get 40-50 MPG combined. How come my 1963 Beetle got 30+ MPG on the highway and 27 in the City? -With a solex carb and 7:1 compression ratio! No real engineer believes that the currrent milage figures are real. The Elantra -a bigger, heavier car gets better milage than the Fit-discouraging. —Sorry, I'm ranting again...

Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by BixLives
The power steering is basically mechanical (hydrolic), however, these days, I suspect computer feedback servo control over this mechanism.

-yeah I'm a geek engineer.

Anyone replace the radio or speakers yet -Does Crutchfield have the goods?

I'll post a picture soon of the radio fitted in the jazz but for now sleepy time for me it almost 6.40am in UK

Mo