Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Anyone Scotchgard their interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Anyone Scotchgard their interior?

I'm thinking of buying a can of Scotchgard and spraying the interior. Anyone done it yet? If so, does the color stay or rub off?

Old 06-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Did mine in the first week. Used one can and did a double coat on the seat fabric and carpet (with some left over). Don't bother with the "Scotchguard for Autos" stuff... the normal Scotchguard for fabric is the same formulation (as best as I can tell) and is cheaper. I have the dark interior and I didn't notice any bleed from the fabric.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to Scotchgard my car today.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
can somebody tell me what that stuff is?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
can somebody tell me what that stuff is?
stain resistant spray. makes the fabric easier to clean. same idea as stainmaster carpet.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fad3r
stain resistant spray. makes the fabric easier to clean. same idea as stainmaster carpet.
oh, ok.. mabye I will look into that since I got beige..

Old 06-01-2006, 02:44 PM
The stuff works but you need to be willing to re-treat every so often. I think the label says 6 months but I've had good results every two years or so.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
I scotchguarded my interior too. It's not a bad idea to protect the cloth material. You can get it at Walmart. Make sure you buy the one for upolstry and not carpet. It runs less than 6 bucs and comes in a red capped can.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I just sprayed my car yesterday. i have black interior - no issues.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
scotch gaurd is an excellent idea. I use that stuff on my hikeing shoes. breathability is not a problem....

Old 06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
how about car seat covers any suggestions I have 2 children. jean

Old 06-08-2006, 12:38 PM
car seat covers

any suggestions I have 2 children and not alot of $. jean

Old 06-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Master FitFreaker
wow koo idea man

Old 06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't recommend seat covers because of the side impact airbags. Don't they come out of the seats? If so, would the covers prevent them from working correctly?

Old 06-08-2006, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
seat protectant

I scotch gaurded my seats on 6-7-6. It is a bigger job then preceived. I wore air way protection- lots of fumes. I rolled the windows down and draped the car to protect from overspray. It will all be all worth it in the end. I actually used another brand of sealer/waterproof. I think the disadvantage probly is the spray pattern from the nozzel which is very important. The spray patern was Not great.The cost was 50% less.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
i went to walmart and bought scotchgaurd for autos which was like 6 bucks and 1 can wasn't enough for the whole car so i need to buy another can so i can finish up the passenger seat and spary a second coat on everything else. I think the dealers offer a "Protection" deal or something like that for a few hundred dollars but buying a can or two of scotchgaurd and doing it yourself would be much cheaper P.S. Febreeze is wonderful for your car as well

Old 06-24-2006, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
I completely hosed the entire interior with 3 cans of Scotchguard . Sadly, in my dead end town, each can is $10! I did the seats, floor, cargo area and fabric on the door panels with multiple coats per the directions. I did have some overspray whiteness on the plastic at the base of the seats but no big deal. You've got to wear a mask for this job! The seat fabric now beads water nicely, just like the can promised. Ready for the 7 and 9 year old kids!

Old 06-24-2006, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Furniture as well as auto sales people will try to sell you their treatment, which of course involves sending a kid out back with a Scotch Guard spray can. Glad to see this post -- I was thinking about treating the seats, but because of the dark color and the nap in the fabric I wasn't sure if I should try it. Thanks -- I love this forum!

Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
I just now got finished and am waiting for it to dry on my 2015 EX CVT. I taped off the hard plastic on the doors so I could hit fabric insert..I know this is a older thread but my Fit is like my old 2006 Miata,it shows every single hair and speck of dirt. Tips are vacuum VERY throughly even if your Fit is new and try to get every bit of lint from all surfaces you are treating. Mask off all the plastics you can to keep over spray to a minimum but since that's impossible in the nooks and crannies keep a damp/wet rag to wipe off where you missed and then a dry cloth to get all of it off. I used 2 10 oz cans and it was barely enough. It makes a difference if you do 2 or even 3 light coats and spray in a criss cross pattern as you get more even coverage. Keep it open to air it out and dry. Avoid sitting on the seats till its really dry.Scotchguard really helps to keep it clean.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by fad3r
I'm thinking of buying a can of Scotchgard and spraying the interior. Anyone done it yet? If so, does the color stay or rub off?
I did it with mine. (2013 Base FIT) Had been told it works well (by a couple with kids in WalMart) and there were no bad effects. Was not super careful applying it and used all of two cans. Not sure of the particular version but I think is was for cars. No problems with overspray, that I noticed. Didn't notice any spectacular effects, but never really tested it in any way either. Seemed ok.

Afterwards I googled scotch guard and if I had it to do again might have skipped it. Per Wikipedia the current stuff is much better than what we grew up with, only a little over a month half-life in people (as opposed to over 5 years with the old stuff). To quote:

PFBS has served as a replacement for the persistent, toxic, and bioaccumulative perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS) in 3M's Scotchgard stain repellents since June 2003.[4][5] PFBS has a much shorter half-life in people than PFOS (a little over one month vs. 5.4 years).[6] While PFBS is expected to be persistent in the environment, multiple studies indicate that PFBS is neither toxic nor bioaccumulative.[5]

So I considered getting a seat cover for the drivers seat but never did. It's pretty much just me, but if I were routinely transporting little kids in it then I would think twice, and probably forego exposing growing kids to yet another chemical and deal the messes and decreased resale value. No free lunch, always a trade off....

Quick Reply: Anyone Scotchgard their interior?