Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Rear View Mirror GPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Question Rear View Mirror GPS

Is there a thread or has anyone installed their GPS above the rear view mirror?

I've seen all the other posts (well the majority of them) but I'd like to suction it to the wind shield just above the mirror, it would be tight but do-able. I'm assuming all that would be needed is 12v power.

Is there 12v power in the head liner to tap into?

Thanks for your time!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
I decided to install mine there, I just remove it when I need to recharge it. I don't use it when driving in town, only when I take trips to other areas where I am not as familiar with roads, so it isn't in the car most of the time and I can recharge it on my computer or on a usb adapter on the cig lighter

Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
I decided to install mine there, I just remove it when I need to recharge it. I don't use it when driving in town, only when I take trips to other areas where I am not as familiar with roads, so it isn't in the car most of the time and I can recharge it on my computer or on a usb adapter on the cig lighter
Yes, I pretty much do the same thing in regards to using it sparingly, but right now I store the unit in the map pocket (I guess maps are out and GPS is in)...well GPS pocket behind the passenger seat.
When I fold down the rear seats I have to move the passenger seat forward to clear. Hard wiring it above the mirror would keep it out of the way, but be accessible if needed. My GPS doesn't hold a charge for very long and plugging it into my computer would mean I'd surely forget it.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I agree a 12v hardwired setup would be best. You could get a usb adapter & charge the GPS in the power socket or I think you could also charge the GPS in the glove box if you have the Sport model with the usb iPod interface.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by sooznd
...You could get a usb adapter & charge the GPS in the power socket or I think you could also charge the GPS in the glove box if you have the Sport model with the usb iPod interface.

That's funny, nothing bumps my iPod (nobody puts baby in the corner ) the GPS must go.
All kidding aside I really do go no where without my iPod so I'd have to have an alternative to that.
I find it hard to believe that we are the only ones to think of this.
OK all you FIT Freak modsters what say you, its time for the tweakers to tweak.

Thanks for all the posts now and to come.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
GPS mounting

Ken- I had started this thread before I got my GPS. Funny I ended up with a different way than any of the other replies

I liked the idea of mounting it above the center cup holders, but the mounting disk would not stick for me--even when I added velcro. Plus I think it is a bit safer to be looking up at the GPS rather than down.. I usually charge my GPS in the power outlet with the usb adapter that came with my Jabra bluetooth.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...os-wanted.html

My usb adapter looks like this except it is black--works great for charging cell phone, GPS and the bluetooth.

Last edited by sooznd; 10-15-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
gps rear view mirror

I had my rear mirror with gps from this site - 4.3 Inch Gps Rear View Mirror with Back Up Camera Gps Navigation Bluetooth Games [043A2] - US$176.90 : Cars-electronics.com

as for power supply, it has two different methods for installation, one is cigerrete lighter, and the other is concealed wiring. if you need more info just contact me I will send you more details.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Could you not tap into the dome light? It has constant power right.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Dome light would be where I would get power and ground from. That's where I got it from when I did my homelink console.